The Amazing World of Gumball Thread

Which character is your favorite?

• Total voters

Drtooth

Reaction score
We got another "22 Short Films About Springfield" type episode, with Gumball and Darwin bored and oblivious to the excitement all around them. Really liked the bit with Banana Joe and the lightsaber.

And strange cameos by Regular Show and Uncle Grandpa via archival footage of their respective shows. Though, considering the fates of all three shows, it makes those cameos just a bit bittersweet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Woof. What a subversive episode.

While I don't watch the show it's referencing, I immediately got the fact it was a House of Cards parody. Kinda helps that Alan's voice in Gumball's mind was an obvious impersonation of Kevin Spacey in that series.

Especially liked the propaganda posters that were references to real ones. The one with Hector is a direct reference to the WW1 American propaganda against the Kaiser poster that can be seen on TVTropes' Unfortunate Implications page.

However:

How the *&^% did they get away with the "inappropriate Birthday Gift," *&^% in a Box joke?

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, would Alan also lobotomize those who don't comply with his happiness camp treatment?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the bigger question is, why did Gumball think that popping Alan would kill him when Alan's been popped before and he's always come back in the next scene/episode.

Also, gotta love that one of Alan's "evil" faces from Gumball's mind was Sonic Adventure Dr. Eggman.

Not to mention...ehhh...

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I was watching the French version of the "Make the Most of It" song from "The Kids", and I was just thinking:Wouldn't this episode not really work when dubbed in other countries? I mean, the whole point of the episode was that their voices were changing because they were getting older, but their international voice actors' voices wouldn't necessarily have changed when they dubbed this episode. So wouldn't the whole episode be a little confusing to audiences in other countries?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, that's what happens when you make an episode around inside jokes. They're not going to translate. Take this Japanese version of both songs:

Seems they just slowed them down instead of having deep voiced men sing.

What makes this make less sense is that Gumball is dubbed by an adult woman who has experience doing little boy voices. Specifically the same woman who played Naruto in the original Japanese. Something about that is kinda fitting.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Last night's episode showed Nicole regretting marrying Richard during a tense family situation, and flashed back to show what it would be like had she married other men in Elmore. It also shows just what the two saw in each other to want to be together, culminating in a very heartwarming montage of the two growing up together, highly reminiscent of the beginning of Up.

Also, her mom is a tiger mom (no pun intended) who kinda resembles one of Gumball's prototype designs. And her dad looks like Grumpy Cat.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Last night's episode was a fun one about the Watterson kids trying to cope with slow Internet speeds (that they siphon off of from Mr. Robinson) by satirizing various websites in an analog context, like posting sticky notes of reviews at the supermarket and getting kicked out because of their lack of anonymity. Also gotta love the sequence of them trying to fix the Robinson's Wi-Fi.

Also, it looks like the 6th season may not be the last after all, as the creator will leave the show and it would probably continue on without him.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/3...-network-to-continue-the-show-without-him.htm

Drtooth

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I'd kinda rather it just end. I love this show, I'm baffled why the merchandising of this show is so scant, but if the creator wants to give it a natural ending, then it's a good idea to give it an ending. I'd hate for the show to go on longer than it should with really bad, poorly written, redundant episodes. Or worse, episodes that could ruin the original, natural ending.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They appear to have made an episode centering around Sarah's throwaway gag about thinking she's in a sitcom from "The Fan." And man, they made another genre buster of an episode, attacking horrid family sitcom cliches while once again subverting the protagonistic nature of a TV show centering around the title character.

Plus, massive points for giving a middle finger to Buzzfeed and other clickbait internet "news" sites.