The ask Jim Lewis thread is now open

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Sorry Sarah, I didn't see your question until after I sent them to Jim. My sincerest apologies! So, Dwayne next time you send questions, don't for get Sarah's! :big_grin:

And here's Jim's next round of answers...

Jim, my question is about fan-work. What are you and aren't you allowed to read through? I assume you're not supposed to even glance at fan-fiction, correct? But what about art work and the like? Are you allowed to look at that?"

As you surmised, I can’t really look at fiction or ideas, since, if something similar turned up in a forthcoming production, the writer-in-question might think their idea/fiction had been stolen. Same of artwork, since the artist could make the same contention. That said, remember that I, Jim Lewis, am merely another rower on the great ship of Muppets and have no hand on the wheel that steers this boat. So showing stuff to me is kinda silly to begin with.

"What if any difrences is Jim henson as a boss to Brian Henson?"

SORRY, I DON’T WANT TO DO PERSONALITY QUESTIONS. NOT BEING SLY, JUST DOESN’T SEEM FAIR, GERMANEÉOR EVEN TITO. (BAD “JACKSON 5” JOKE)

"Before Jim Henson died, it was often common for Sesame Street Muppets to make cameo or crossover appearances in Muppet Show-related productions (especially during Henson's last few years of life, though none of them appeared on The Jim Henson Hour), but after Henson's death, very few crossovers happened (the only ones I know of are The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, Jim Henson's memorial service (which probably shouldn't count as a production), Muppetfest, and to a lesser extent the "We Are Family" video (that one featured characters from many childrens shows, so I question whether this one counts) and CNN Newstand: People Profiles: Sesame Street (characters from The Muppet Show and Sesame Street talked about Jim Henson during the documentary), and since Kermit was a regular on both shows I don't count any of his appearances on Sesame Street or related productions as crossovers). I know that now it would be difficult to have such crossovers, but The Jim Henson Company still owned the Sesame Street Muppets for ten whole years after Jim Henson's death, and The Muppets for four years longer. So is there any reason why there weren't as many crossovers after Jim Henson died? It would have been great if an episode or two of Muppets Tonight had a cameo by a Sesame Street character or two."

Very true about crossovers before and after. I think Jim’s presence made it easier to shortcut corporate/branding considerations, since he was (and always will be) the founder of the feast. I also like those “hey, they live in the same universe” moments and would like to see it again.

"Muppet Classic Theater only had six recognisable characters (Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, Rizzo, Fozzie, and Robin), and everybody else was either newly-created, a previous puppet reused as a new character, or a generic animal character (like the penguins and sheep). I did notice that Yolanda from The Muppets Take Manhattan was also used (and I think she was mentioned by name... I'll have to watch the special again). Was there any reason for the big lack of older, known characters? I would have liked it if the orchestra featured the usual Muppet Show orchestra (featuring Floyd, Animal, Rowlf, Zoot, Lips, Nigel, and sometimes Janice) rather than the penguin orchestra, and many of the crowd scenes could have easily featured Bunsen, Beaker, Lew Zealand, Beauregard, Bean Bunny, Sam the Eagle, Link Hogthrob (though I imagine that he would have been silent), Dr. Strangepork (he could have also portrayed Miss Piggy's father), Pops, and various Muppet monsters (I did see two frackles in the audience) (and in a perfect world, Digit and Leon from The Jim Henson Hour would have been in the special). Heck, I'm suprised that Statler and Waldorf weren't in the special (they had already been recast at the time). It's also too bad that there weren't any big backstage scenes (these could have easily featured some older characters like Beauregard). I know that Jim Henson and Richard Hunt were dead, which would be an explanation for the lack of their characters, but Frank, Jerry, Dave, and Steve were all still active at the time. It was still a good special, but it was a bit sad to see so few old characters and so many new ones, especially in crowd scenes."

As I’ve said elsewhere, this was one of the very first productions we did after Jim and Richard’s passing. I think that was the main reason why we focused on the particular characters we did, and let some of the supporting roles go to new characters. If it had been done earlier or later, I suspect we’d have taken all of your suggestions above. This was, by the way, not a special, but a direct-to-video done for Disney. And I still hope it again sees the light of day, since it has (I think) aged well despite the above concerns.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
heres my question i have heard and read some things about a Scritpt or story or something written my Jim Henson and Jerry Jull called "the Cheapest muppet movie ever made. Have you seen or heard anything about it?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Question for Jim Hill:

You said that you co-wrote Muppet Classic Theater with Bill Prady. Were you involved with the writing of all of the story segments, or did you write some all by yourself while Bill wrote others by himself (perhaps you wrote three and Bill wrote three), or is it a little bit of both (perhaps you and Bill both wrote two story segments by yourselves, and then collaborated on two togetehr, or something like that)?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey Jim, do you think the characters like Croaker, Goggles, and Blotch, from Kermit's Swamp Years will ever be seen in another production? Or are they pretty happy down there in the swamp?

ploobis

Reaction score
Hi Jim Lewis!

I have a question about Muppets Tonight.

Who's idea was it to have Clifford host Muppets Tonight?

Thank you! :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
ok now i know the ruls but im going to go ahead and change them a little i think we can go ahead and post at least three qustions at a time. We will only use one qusetion at a time when sending them in but it will give us a chance to have a good mix of questions, So here is mine.

I was wondering did you help in the writing of the Movies.com show? If so was it hard to keep up with all the movies, and did you have to watch the movies before you could write?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I have a few questions...

Interviews. I know you have said that you work collaboratively in creating replies for interview questions, but I was wondering how these work exactly? There is obviously a combination of ad-libbing, quick wit, and pre-scripted replies, so do the Muppeteers memorize stock answers? Are there just ideas thrown around and remembered? Do you work with the person doing the interview to get exactly what they are looking for? Are there more rigid rules of what can and can't be said now that the Muppets have new performers who do not know them so well as Frank, etc?

Changes. Now that many of your ideas have been made into productions, is there any specific thing you wish you could go back and change? A scene, a line, etc?

Merchandise. I've seen the inside of Pixar studios in many making-of's, and their offices are always crammed with merchandise related to their movies. Do you have the Muppet action figures, plushes, etc hanging around the Muppet Studios?

RKUNKLER

Reaction score
Hey jim do you think that The Muppet Show season 1 boxed set will ever be released uncut and is The Muppet Show second season boxed set uncut.