1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The ask Jim Lewis thread is now open

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by dwayne1115, Feb 20, 2007.

1. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I have read somewhere that Rosie O'Donnell was supposed to make a guest appearance at one point, but her appearance was cancled for some reason.

As for the appearance of the writers for that Cosby Show episode, I would guess that you are referring to the scene where the youngest daughter goes back int ime to talk to people. One of them was Matt Robinson, who originally played Gordon on Sesame Street (though I'm not sure if he was a writer for that series, but I know that he worked behind the scenes on that show).

And now for my next question to Jim Lewis:

One of the main differences between The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight (and there were a lot of big differences) is the fact that while each episode of The Muppet Show always had only one human guest star (occassionally two, or a group), Muppets Tonight frequently had cameo appearances by other celebrities who weren't billed as guest stars, some of whom even had their own subplot (the only time multiple celebrities were biled as the guests was in the episode with Coolio and Don Rickles, and I am surprised that Don Rickles was billed as a second guest star. His screen time didn't seem to differ much from George Takei's screen time in the Andie McDowell epsiode, or Gilbert Godfrieds screen time in the Dennis Quade episode, and those actors didn't get billed as guests, and the Coolio/ Don Rickles episode also featured appearances by other celebrities), and sometiems there were just other human extras (non-celebrities). The Muppet Show never featured any cameos by any humans who weren't billed as guest stars. Do you know why the decision was made for Muppets Tonight to feature more celebrities than just who Kermit announced as the guest star? Of course, the MupeTelevision segments from The Jim Henson Hour did also feature other humans besides the guest stars, usually Christopher Langham, but also the actors in the Fashion Doll Channel sketches, and of course Jim Henson in the introductions.
  2. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Hey Jim, thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions! I realize that a lot of the actual room designs/props etc in a room in the Muppet Movies is out of your jurisdiction as a writer, but you were on set and you might remember some stuff.

In VMC Miss Piggy has a 'Farm Fresh' Bacon poster on her fridge. It was a devistating, yet clever touch. Was this something you wanted/picked up on and wrote into the script? Or was it just set-dressing.

Also a question that you may not know the answer for, since I'm depending on practically a photographic memory ("Write it down!" Ahem...). There is a fridge-magnet on Miss Piggy's Fridge in VMC that is slightly out of focus, but it looks almost exactly like a Miss Mousey shaped magnet. Is it? Do you happen to remember?
  3. heralde Well-Known Member

That's actually what I always felt too. He took on the straight man role when there was need for one. Thanks again, Jim!
  4. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Hey Beau Jim has said a few times that he was not on the set when VMMX was filmed so i kind of think that he wont know the answer to these qustion. Im sorry buddy.
  5. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Oh! I didn't realize that. Sorry Dwayne/Jim!

I do have another VMC question, though, that you may or may not know the answer to.

My question is about Beauregard. He dissappeared, I've heard, because he was difficult to write for, (understandable), then reappeared with a few lines in Muppet's Tonight, was at breakfast in MFS and appeared in almost every theatre scene in VMC. Obviously, everything is collaberative and specific character lines/etc are lost, but I wondered if you knew whether Beau had a reason for reappearing? Was it just chance that pulled him out of a puppet box for VMC, or was he originally given lines? Is he a character you can see returning in a world where movies tend to focus on very few main characters?
  6. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Thats an awesome question i think, i really like that and that is kind of like bean bunny why is he not so used as much.
    Here is my questons

You seem to be trying in your writing to bring the Muppets back to being the way they really where during The Muppet Show, Do you think that will inculde bringing back some of the regulars that have sliped away into the backgorund?

Great question lets keep them coming.
  7. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Yeah, fans speculate that the reason why Bean Bunny doens't appear as much anymore is because Steve Whitmire took over as Kermit and Beaker, and Rizzo became a much more major character, leaving Steve with little time to perform others, but I don't think that's true. Almost every major Muppet production from the late 1970s and 1980s featured nearly all of Jim Henson's Muppet Show characters (usually with one character missing). The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show and Rocky Mountain Holiday had a lot more of his characters missing, but in The Muppets go to the Movies I think that only The Newsman and Dr. Teeth were missing, Link Hogthrob is the only one of Jim's Muppet Show characters to have never spoken in any of the Muppet movies (even The Newsman got lines in GMC and MTM), all of Jim's characters were present in the 30th anniversary special and A Muppet Family Christmas, but Link was the only one who didn't speak in MFC, and I don't think The Newsman spoke in the 30th anniversary special (not counting clips with the character), and in The Mupets at Walt Disney World, The Newsman was the only one of Jim's characters to be absent. Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, The Newsman, and Link Hogthrob were also absent in Mupet Vision 3D, and Dr. Teeth is the only one to Jim's characters who never spoke on The Jim Henson Hour.

And in most Muppet productions, each main performer usually performs at least four characters. If you look at the credits for The Mupet Movie, Dave Goelz was the only performer to have three characters credited instead of four, in The Great Muppet Caper, Steve Whitmire was the only performer to have two characters credited, in The Mupets Take Manhattan, the only main performer to have less than three characters credited (and there were other performers with only one or two characters credited) was Steve Whitmire (most of the other perfoemrs had three credited characters, though Jim Henson had five characetrs credited, and Dave Goelz had four credited).

So I don't think that Steve Whitmire being busy with Kermit, Rizzo, and others is the only reason for Bean to not be used much.
  8. BearWithMe New Member

Bean

I'll concur with that. Bean is a fun character. Who can forget "Bean-bo"? But the "I'm cute so they don't have to be" didn't have a lot of legs for the creative team. Hard to place that very specific POV into every production...though sometimes it is deliciously perfect.
  9. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Bean Bunny could have been one of the flying monkeys in The Mupets Wizard of Oz, and used his cuteness for evil. He also could have been a pirate in Muppet Treasure Island, and used his cuteness as a weapon there (I know you didn't write that movie, though).
  10. BearWithMe New Member

When you're right, you're right...

Excellent ideas. And I'll accept the cop out that I didn't write those. But I vow to work Bean in the next time the opportunity arises! thanks.
  11. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Jim, you're awesome. That is all I felt needed to be said.

Well, okay, it isn't. I have a question. It's about Rowlf. Lately, I've noticed a very big push to get him back into the reigns of a main Muppet character again. I love this. Is this a concious effort? Or did it just sorta happen?
  12. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Oops. I thought that you were a writer for The Muppets Wizard of Oz, but I just checked the Muppet Wiki page for that movie, and you weren't listed a sa writer.
  13. Marky Member

Finally! I get to praise "It's a Very Merry..."!

Mr. Lewis, I think that the aforementioned special is the best Muppet project since Treasure Island. It had the irreverance and zaniness which were key to carry the Muppets into the next decade.

It's also my own belief that had JHC not sold the guys to ABC/Disney, and NBC had struck while the iron was hot, the Muppets would have a platform on which to do their thing, instead of flopping around in France while we don't even get a Season 2 dvd set!

Great book, by the way. My son gave it to me for Christmas. I love the ties to the old days, nice job.
  14. MrsPepper Active Member

Hey Mr. Lewis, I have a question for you!

I was re-reading Before You Leap for about the twentieth time, and more than once I was struck by the heartfelt innocence and optimism that your words brought to me. My questions are this (and I'm sorry if someone else has asked something similar, it's hard to keep up!):

In a world where CSI's and murder mysteries are the primetime entertainment (and the occurence of family entertainment is slowly going down), how do you keep in that same heartfelt feeling and optimism in your writing?

Also, do you feel that the positive and fun attitude in your writing is genuine and comes from you? In other words, do you identify with the messages that you communicate in your fun, simple way of writing, or is it simply that you are portraying the characters that you have to write for?
  15. Beauregard Well-Known Member

We must be in synch, you and I, Pepper. I was thinking of this same kind of question just yesterday. How do the Muppets stand up to that?
  16. dabauckham Member

Here's a quick double-question for Mr. Lewis:

Thinking back to all of your writing projects, of which project are you the most proud and why? Also, which project do you feel came the most short of what you originally envisioned?

And one other (forgive me if this was already asked): Do you have a favorite Muppet movie and/or classic Muppet Show episode, and if so what are they and why do you like them so much?
  17. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well, we've got nine questions, though some have asked more than one question.
  18. dabauckham Member

Yes, I'm sorry I asked so many. :o Dwayne, feel free to just post my first one, if it seems like it's too much. :)
  19. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Hey, don't worry about asking lots of questions. It brings variety, and, hey, you won't get answers if you don't ask the questions!

I do have another question myself.

Jim, when writing 'Before You Leap' were you influenced at all by Kermit's previous book 'One Frog Can Make a Difference'?
  20. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

hey guys sorry about all this i have some bad news. My comp has totlay crashed and i am having to use the library now. I dont know how or when i will be abel to send more questions to Jim, but i will try. I think your questions have been wonderfull so far and keep it up.

P.S If anyone has a computer they arent useing that works and can be on the net let me know. My job dont pay me much so i cant just go right out and buy a knew computer. I have four kids a wife and myself to take care of frist. Im sorry guys i really am.