The Best 5 years of Sesame Street

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
I figured I'd start a fun thread here called The Best 5 years of Sesame Street. I'd like to know, what would you say were the Best 5 years of Sesame Street? If you could pick any consecutive 5 years in a row, that you feel the show was at it's absolute best, and had some of the best episodes, and charachters. Remember, you can only pick 5 years in which you think were the absolute best, no adjustments please. I'll go first.....

I'd have to say the best 5 years were 1979-1984. Once the show had been on the air for a decade, it became very good and storylines were very interesting, plus I think some of the best skits were made during that time period as well.

How about the rest of you?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I cannot pick out 5 years consecutively, nor can I pick out just five at all.

The best era was from the conception of the show to the point where all the integral people either passed on (Jim, Joe, Richard), or just left. Then they pretty much struggled for 3 years and tried to change things around to compensate.

JLG

Reaction score
The best era was from the conception of the show to the point where all the integral people either passed on (Jim, Joe, Richard), or just left. Then they pretty much struggled for 3 years and tried to change things around to compensate.

At the time they may have felt like they were struggling or stagnating, but in hindsight, 1990-92 stuff seems just fine to me.

Disregarding the singling out of any "best" five years, it's safe to say that they leaned very heavily on the flood of material produced during the first 5-7 years or so, using much of it well into the '90s. This is a large part of the reason why it seemed it seemed to speak with the same "voice" for so long.

Xerus

Reaction score
I kind of liked the around the corner years. Ruth Buzzi joined the cast, I liked the Furry Arms Hotel skits, and there was really good writing and neat stories in those years. Especially the Slimey Goes to the Moon saga.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, that's cuz they made a large change to get the show's momentum back. 90-92 seemed mixed, like you knew something was missing, but since they used a lot of old stuff, it didn't really come up much. I mean, Frank has been only sporadic during the late 80's, until they recast his roles, for a long time we didn't see his characters. So to fill that void (also left by Richard and Jim), they came up with various other characters. That's what I liked abput the 90's. We had such wonderful bizzare characters, and Dave Golez actually played some characters.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have trouble picking 5 years. I do agree with Drtooth that from its conception to around the early '90s was the best time.

But I will try and think further on the topic. :smile: