The Bible and Love and Christians

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I could go on and on with my political "right wing extremist nutjob" views but I'm going to try to keep this on topic. Regardless of your views, I believe that this act of "activism" was very disrespectful. I don't believe that going in and shouting and throwing glitter was the right way of handling things. It was rude and unnessecary. Now, if that guy went and organized a protest outside the building would have been more courteus while also getting the point across. I don't like Obama, but I wouldn't shout at him or throw stuff at him just becuase I disagree with his views. Instead, I speak out about it in other places. I think everyone deserves some respect and courtesy and this man's so-called "activism" did not show that.

I could also state opinions about your view of Newt but I would like to keep this on topic and not make it a political debate. I support Gingrich and many of his views but I don't think this is the time or place to discuss that right now.

Just putting in my two cents.
There are different types of activism. This is just one of them. It used to be that people like this would throw pies in the face of another person. Now that's rude and uncalled for, but only a complete wuss would complain about a little bit of shiny glitter. I probably wouldn't do it, but I do like the idea of bringing one's bigotry to light. Newt isn't just some flawed human being, he's behaved atrociously with his own family and his brand of anti-gay poison affects real people.

Nonetheless, no matter one's religion, personal views or geographical location, if they campaign against equal rights for gays they are a bigot plain and simple. I don't like Christianity, but will never prevent their rights. That respect should be reciprocated toward gays. However, I do hope the particularly crazy so-called "Christian" bigots like Newt really do get raptured tomorrow so we'll be rid of them.

Why has no one mentioned the sweet anti-bullying clip? I liked that very much!

Now I'm off to support a friend at "Queer Open Mic" night across town. No matter what, I still don't like the term queer. Sure, I am quite strange, but for a host of other reasons! :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's like no matter what you do or say, unless you have a mainstream media message, you're either ignored or made into a freak.

I find it the height of the double standard that celebrities that say anti-gay, antisemitic, or basically racist stuff, either with hateful intent or not, they become vilified, and their careers are over. But when a religious figure, squawker, or politician pulls the same stunts, they're like... "Oh that wacky Newt! God Love'em" and nothing happens. :rolleyes: Seriously... Gilbert Gottfried made a stupid joke about the Japanese earthquake, and he became a villain... Glen Beck basically says they deserved it because their religion wasn't created by a con-artist like his was, and everyone just brushes it off as "Oh that wacky wacky Glen Beck!"

The Log Cabin Republicans have spoken up against Don't Ask Don't Tell, I want them to speak up against how the very same bigots keep getting their party's nomination, respect, and platforms. There's a difference between, "I don't see why you should have rights" and "choke on a sausage and die."

All and all politics should be about ISSUES! Not this crappy wedge stuff. The right wants to talk about financial security, FINE... go back to talking about that. When something irrelevant and polarizing becomes a lefty righty issue, the only ones who win are the loudest mouths on the block, writing media friendly opinion books.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Personally, I thought the glitter thing hilarious. I get a kick out of creative protests.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's like no matter what you do or say, unless you have a mainstream media message, you're either ignored or made into a freak.

I find it the height of the double standard that celebrities that say anti-gay, antisemitic, or basically racist stuff, either with hateful intent or not, they become vilified, and their careers are over. But when a religious figure, squawker, or politician pulls the same stunts, they're like... "Oh that wacky Newt! God Love'em" and nothing happens. :rolleyes: Seriously... Gilbert Gottfried made a stupid joke about the Japanese earthquake, and he became a villain... Glen Beck basically says they deserved it because their religion wasn't created by a con-artist like his was, and everyone just brushes it off as "Oh that wacky wacky Glen Beck!"

The Log Cabin Republicans have spoken up against Don't Ask Don't Tell, I want them to speak up against how the very same bigots keep getting their party's nomination, respect, and platforms. There's a difference between, "I don't see why you should have rights" and "choke on a sausage and die."

All and all politics should be about ISSUES! Not this crappy wedge stuff. The right wants to talk about financial security, FINE... go back to talking about that. When something irrelevant and polarizing becomes a lefty righty issue, the only ones who win are the loudest mouths on the block, writing media friendly opinion books.
I agree with you here. Mel Gibson is no saint and I hate his views, but I'll see his movies. He is very talented. Honestly, I don't view him as a bigot as much as I see him as a crazy person with deep psychological issues. I guess we cherry-pick some things. I would think differently if he ever became the face of a political organization that actively denied rights to gay people.

Glen Beck hasn't just been racist and homophobic, he's also has a history of sexist remarks that are downright creepy. It's strange how he still has such a strong following.

Anyway, I'm still stoked about all the elbow-room the non-Christians like me will reportedly have tomorrow evening. :halo:

RedPiggy said:
Personally, I thought the glitter thing hilarious. I get a kick out of creative protests.
Ditto! How can glitter not make people smile?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I want lots of elbow room too. It'll make watching The Muppets much quieter, so I can soak in all the details. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
For me, if it's true that Gibson has been committing domestic violence, then I can't support him as an actor. He's clearly got a lot of problems and I hope he can get himself together at some point.

About the Irish ad, I think it presented that feeling of isolation that bullying causes very well. And how good it feels when someone has the guts to say, "I'll be your friend no matter what the bullies say." Though those were perhaps the tamest bullies I've ever seen! And frankly in real life, they don't back down that easily. They just start bullying the person who's befriending the victim. It's easy to say "stand up to bullies" but kids need to understand that it's not going to be easy. In fact your life will get much harder because of it. But still you need to do it. I'd like to see an ad that addresses that. But all in all, I thought this ad did a good job. And of course I always love those accents, hehe. : )

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
True, that - and the grownups actually need to step in and do something about the bullies as well. Too often, it seems like the adults are looking the other way when a kid's getting picked on.

And I know - it's really discouraging how the loudmouth nutcase types get all the air time, while the people who are doing good and wonderful things barely get mentioned at all. It's like that bumper sticker I have on my car: "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

There's another sticker I have (I've got a couple, actually): it's a little oval with a stars-and-Earth background, and it just says "Coexist." But the letters are spelled out with religious and spiritual symbols: the cross, the Star of David, the crescent, a yin-yang, etc.
Here's what I think: no matter who you are, if you've done what you can to help others and make the world a better place, then God will have a place for you in heaven.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
True, that - and the grownups actually need to step in and do something about the bullies as well. Too often, it seems like the adults are looking the other way when a kid's getting picked on.
I remember in Grade School trying to tell a teacher that this girl was picking on me, as usual. I was in tears and just kept saying, "She hates me!" And the teacher, trying to avoid conflict I guess, kept saying "Now, now she doesn't hate you." Meanwhile, the bully girl was staring there with an evil smirk on her face, enjoying every minute.

Don't get me wrong, I actually liked that teacher a lot. But they're in a difficult position; there isn't always a lot they can do. It's unfortunate but kids need to be taught resilience too, because sometimes there isn't anyone who can make it stop.

Here's what I think: no matter who you are, if you've done what you can to help others and make the world a better place, then God will have a place for you in heaven.
That's how I feel as well. :smile:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I know - and sometimes, the teachers want to step in and give the bully his/her just deserts, but there's the fear that certain parents are going to sue. (And that's worth a discussion thread unto itself)

I've done a couple of articles on bullying in schools for the paper, and about the anti-bullying legislation that's just going into effect. And it's caused me to think back to how I was picked on in middle school. I've come to terms with it now, but some of it still gives me the creeps.

But back to the topic of religions: if the various faiths and creeds took all the energy that they put into bickering and fighting over the centuries, and put it into doing genuine works of charity and love, the world would be a nicer place. We've made some progress, but we've still got a ways to go.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've done a couple of articles on bullying in schools for the paper, and about the anti-bullying legislation that's just going into effect. And it's caused me to think back to how I was picked on in middle school. I've come to terms with it now, but some of it still gives me the creeps.
That's great, MN, get the word out! Yeah I know what you mean, most of the time I don't think about it anymore. High School was a lot better so I just moved on from there. But if I consciously try to think about Grade or Middle School, I still get very angry. And I just want to scream at those people from years ago, "Don't you realize...that everything you did affected who I am? ! How could you try so hard to actively destroy another human being? !" They didn't destroy me of course. And they were just kids with their own problems. And at some point you just have to take responsibility for your own life. Getting angry just makes you more vulnerable and lets the bullies know that they got to you. You can win by moving on and being happy. :smile: