The breakfast cereal thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
This thread is about the cereals we like (or dislike) the most, including discontinued ones.

I never really had a lot of big name cereals as a kid until I got to grade school. What I mostly ate at home was organic stuff whose names now escape me. It wasn't until I was older that I ate stuff like Frosted Flakes and Honey Nut Cheerios. I also adored Kellogg's Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes and the kind with dried bananas in them, since bananas make almost any cereal better! :hungry:

Pretty much the only cereal I truly didn't like was Berry Berry Kix. I was forced to eat it in grade school (sold in little pre-packaged plastic bowls), and I did not approve of it.

Recently, I have taken a liking to Krave. For those who don't know, they're little puffs of wheat filled with chocolate. They have a nice crispy taste when you bite into them, followed by a burst of chocolate. :insatiable:

As for discontinued cereals? Perhaps the ones I miss most are Oreo O's. I'd love to see them return in some way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for discontinued cereals? Perhaps the ones I miss most are Oreo O's. I'd love to see them return in some way.

Oreo O's and "The Batman" cereal which was basically the same thing only Bat shaped.

But the ones I truly miss are Disney's Atlantis... think Lucky Charms but instead of those rock hard sugar cubes, they had chocolate cookies. And Buzz Blast or Buzz Bits or whatever... had Buzz Lightyear on it, insanely sugary with green and purple disks and purple graham crackers shaped like Buzz, Zurg, and LGM's. I'm also disappointed that Carmel Apple Pebbles Boulders was a limited time only thing. They had some Chocolate Peanut Butter one on the market earlier this year, but it's not all that much better than any of the other Chocolate Peanut Butter cereals on the Market.

Also, I'm glad Trix went back to little orbs instead of those gimmicky shaped pieces.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Likes: Raisin Bran, Lucky Charms, Golden Grahams,Count Chocula,Coco Puffs, Fruity Pebbles, Coco Pebbles, Cookie Crisp, & Grapenuts ( flakes & nuggets).

Discontinued likes: Raisin Squares, Rocky Road, Smores (the General Mills' one. Not the current Kellogg's one), & Choco Crunch.

Dislikes: Product 19

Wish to have gotten to try: Sugar Jets

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I like pretty much anything wheat, corn, or rice based without all those colors and flavors and overall sugar overload. Corn Chex is my favorite cereal. I do like Honey Nut Cheerios though.

Dislikes...Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops, Pebbles, anything Chocolate...and I absolutely despise Captain Crunch. I can eat the peanut butter kind, though I'd rather not, but the regular kind is just vile.

I'm eating dry Apple Jacks as we speak :stick_out_tongue: Its strange...I do actually like dry Apple Jacks even though they really aren't much different than Fruit Loops

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Did somebody say Oreo Os? Man, I miss that stuff! I was lucky that Walmart seemed to had stockpiled that stuff back in the day, because I was able to keep enjoying it up until maybe 2008 or 2009 or so, then their stock ran dry, and now it's gone forever... *Sniffs*

Maybe one day it'll make a comeback like Berry-Berry Kix; I can't stand regular Kix, but Berry-Berry Kix was great stuff, but it's one of those cereals that disappears, then comes back, then disappears again, then comes back again in a vicious cycle... however, the most recent comeback they changed it a bit, and now, it doesn't taste quite as good as it used to... I think they got lazy with it, because now, instead of the tasty little fruit-shaped cereal pieces, it's basically a mix of multi-colored Kix puffs, and the colored ones are only slightly fruit-flavored.

Another cereal I miss too is Marshmallow Alphabits... I'm angry now after I read on Wikipedia that it's been available up until last year... not a single store in this town continued to stock the Marshmallow Alphabits since like 2000 or 2001 or so (and while I'm on the subject, whatever happened to Butterfinger BBs?)

Chocolate Chex was pretty good too, but that didn't last long.

But enough ranting about the cereals we've been deprived of, some of what I do enjoy includes a mix of Frosted Cheerios and Frosted Rice Krispies (which I call "Frosted Krispios), Lucky Charms, Trix, Strawberry Special K (for a healthy-schmelthy cereal, it's pretty good) Frosted Mini Wheats Strawberry Delight, Honey Smacks, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Apple Jacks, Capn Crunch with Crunch Berries, Peanut Butter Crunch, to name a few.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another cereal I miss too is Marshmallow Alphabits... I'm angry now after I read on Wikipedia that it's been available up until last year... not a single store in this town continued to stock the Marshmallow Alphabits since like 2000 or 2001 or so (and while I'm on the subject, whatever happened to Butterfinger BBs?)
They're... well... sort of back, if you want to pay like 3 bucks for a small bag of them. The Butterfinger BB's that is.

Actually, the one cereal I REALLY hate is Honey Comb. It tastes like flavorless wafers and it scratches the roof of my mouth terribly, and there's JUST so much of it. It's like each box is a year's supply. You could live in that box quite comfortably. Really, bad food and too much of it.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Mikey, I like Life. Like really, really like. More like love, really. *

*this just might be my most confusing post ever. :confused:

Hayley B

Reaction score
Marshmallow Alphabits....
I've only had Marshmallow Alphabits once. I did like that cereal too. I remember having regular Alphabits a couple of times as a kid. But I think the marshmallows made it better.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've only had Marshmallow Alphabits once. I did like that cereal too. I remember having regular Alphabits a couple of times as a kid. But I think the marshmallows made it better.
That's how I felt too... without the marshmallows, it was really bland and tasteless... just try taking the marshmallows out of Lucky Charms, you'd probably get the same effect.

Drtooth may or may not remember this, but back in 2001, Cartoon Network had this deal going on with Kellogg's where they were having a vote on different cereals associated with their shows; I still have an the back of a cereal box with the choices somewhere, but off the top of my head, some of the cereals were ones that already existed, just with the characters slapped on the boxes, but others were actually an attempt to make already-existing cereals more interesting.

For example, you had "Bravo Flakes" (Frosted Flakes with Johnny Bravo on the box instead of Tony the Tiger), "Cow and Chicken Puffs" (Corn Pops with Cow and Chicken on the box), and "Powerpuff Girls" (Rice Krispies with the Powerpuff Girls instead of Snap, Crackle, and Pop)... but then, you had other cereals with added goodies, such as "Ed, Edd n Eddy Jawbreaker Crunch" (Corn Pops with little crunchy puffs), "Dexter's Laboratory" (Rice Krispies with color-changing marshmallows shaped like beakers and test tubes), "I am Weasel" (Rice Krispies with sour-flavored marshmallows shaped like I.R. Baboon), "Mike, Lu & Og" (chocolate and coconut-flavored Cheerios), and "Courage the Cowardly Dog" (Cheerios with marshmallows shaped like Courage and ghosts and stuff).

The one with the most votes was going to be turned into an actual cereal, but of course, like all of Cartoon Network's contests, nothing ever happened (over ten years later, and I STILL never got my color-changing towel or t-shirt I won in the Dexter Duplication Contest): if I recall correctly, the Dexter cereal had the most votes (probably because of the color-changing marshmallows), but the Courage cereal (which I voted for, simply because I was obsessed with that show at the time) was in a close second. Not surprisingly, the Mike, Lu & Og and the I am Weasel cereals hardly got any votes... those were kind of disgusting combinations, I'm sure even insane kids wouldn't want to eat.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was a huge ripoff. There was a Powerpuff Girls Cereal before the contest, and I can't remember if it was the same thing... but to NOT have any of those cereals ever come out really was a disappointment. I wish I got that contest cereal box, but I think it came out just before I started saving cereal boxes.

But at least we had several different Scooby-Doo cereals come out in 2002 or so. It's not quite the same, though.