The "Can Fraggle Rock make a comeback? What does the show mean to you ?" thread

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
We all know that there are FR DVDs, Taco Bell promotions, and reruns on the Hub. But now that a new company owns the movie rights, can FR make a comeback? Not as a new show, but an increased popularity of the old show and possibly a movie? I sure hope so. We need shows that remind us how dependant we are on each other and how important peace really is.

But what do you think?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I understand where all the love for FR comes from, it's an extremely cute show, and very funny.
I hope the movie that will eventually come out helps it comeback.
If it came back as a show do you think it'll be international again?

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. I hope so, though. There are plenty of places that need FR's message besides America.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. I hope so, though. There are plenty of places that need FR's message besides America.
Agreed. The whole point of making FR in the first place was to stop wars. If it makes a comeback I hope it goes international again. :smirk::dreamy::coy::sigh::excited::drool:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I would really like the show to make a comeback, as I think the show's message of understanding others is really a timeless message. However, I don't exactly know if the Henson company, as has been discussed in a lot of other threads on here, is in position to put the Fraggles back on the map. It will be interesting to see if any news breaks on the movie in the coming months.

I know this might sound silly, but I think if the Fraggle movie is put in the right hands, it could have the potential to be in the department of critically-acclaimed all-ages appealing children's movies, like Tintin or something like that. If the script isn't "OMG teh fragglez are in teh real world" and just stuffed with cheap gags, but instead something reflecting the core of the show, it could really go well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know this might sound silly, but I think if the Fraggle movie is put in the right hands, it could have the potential to be in the department of critically-acclaimed all-ages appealing children's movies, like Tintin or something like that. If the script isn't "OMG teh fragglez are in teh real world" and just stuffed with cheap gags, but instead something reflecting the core of the show, it could really go well.
Corey was so passionate about all the meddling the script was getting. It very well could have been like that, and I'm sure Regency would skew the film that way. Part of me feels that the Smurfs movie came out of someone sitting at one of the story meetings and writing down every idea Corey complained about.

There is no way a Fraggle Movie WOULDN'T take the Fraggles out in the real world. And if it's truly the real world and not a cramped up studio set, it would at least be appealing on a visual level. Nothing, and I mean nothing gives the illusion that the Muppets are real quite like taking them outside and having them mingle with real people, getting filmed in natural light. That's why I love Murray on Sesame Street.

But it has to be done RIGHT with a heartfelt, intelligent script. If it degenerates into a "What's this? What's that?" type of movie, it would just be the same old crap over and over. Though I would hope a LARGE portion of the movie takes place in Fraggle Rock and the Gorg's garden... all rebuilt with a larger budget that gives it a nice depth of course. I LOOOOOVE how Sesame Street looks like a bustling, busy part of New York in Follow that Bird (and to a lesser extent, Elmo in Grouchland)... much more realistic than the stuffy studio sets. Very quiet there all the time.

Even without a movie, Henson basically has that, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth (not to mention older works) from the Jim era. They would want to pump that up as part of his legacy no matter what. I hate the catch 22 of them not getting great merchandise until they have a project coming, but they can't have enough hype for a movie until they have great merchandise.

Me? I'd be happy to just see a volume 3 of Fraggle Comics. Those things were brilliant!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
But it has to be done RIGHT with a heartfelt, intelligent script. If it degenerates into a "What's this? What's that?" type of movie, it would just be the same old crap over and over. Though I would hope a LARGE portion of the movie takes place in Fraggle Rock and the Gorg's garden... all rebuilt with a larger budget that gives it a nice depth of course.
That's my biggest problem with the idea of the Fraggles in the real world plotline. It's an easy trap for just a series of gags shadowing in the place of the plot. It may be a tougher sell for the movie if it's mostly restricted to the rock, but I think it would force the scriptwriters to have to actually write a solid plot. But I'll take anything if it can get some nice new merchandise, like stuffed animals that actually resemble the show's characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's my biggest problem with the idea of the Fraggles in the real world plotline. It's an easy trap for just a series of gags shadowing in the place of the plot. It may be a tougher sell for the movie if it's mostly restricted to the rock, but I think it would force the scriptwriters to have to actually write a solid plot.
It needs that real world connection, but it is something that can go very wrong, very fast. There is a LOT of Fraggle Rock to explore in the movie, and that could be a huge springboard for any Outer Space adventure.

Still, I wish Henson got that Doozer Preschool show off the ground. That would have been an excellent way to get the Fraggles back out there AND take advantage of the fact they're just doing digital animation/puppetry now. At LEAST we would have got Doozer toys out of it.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
It needs that real world connection, but it is something that can go very wrong, very fast. There is a LOT of Fraggle Rock to explore in the movie, and that could be a huge springboard for any Outer Space adventure.

Still, I wish Henson got that Doozer Preschool show off the ground. That would have been an excellent way to get the Fraggles back out there AND take advantage of the fact they're just doing digital animation/puppetry now. At LEAST we would have got Doozer toys out of it.
HC doesn't seem to be able to do much lately, but they're trying. It must have been a huge blow to lose Jim Henson, the driving force behind the whole company. I miss him, even though I never knew him.
In the meantime, as many people as possible should show FR to people who don't know about it. That's one of the best ways we can help right now.

Perlezerey8

Reaction score
I really would like the show to return on a different channel besides the Hub because some people don't even get it and where I live I can't watch it because it's on at 7 am and I'm usually in class. Kids really need to watch the good shows,not the stuff they show today on TV. I was over my friend's house and her little sister was watching Fish Hooks and it's so stupid.

If only the company that owns Fraggle Rock would promote it more like Disney does with the Muppets. With Youtube videos,Facebook,Twitter,etc. I can understand if the company is busy working on other projects but if they just did a test video on Youtube and tons of people love it,I know they'll continue to do them.

I just hope that when they plan the movie,they don't change the characters' personalities or something like the Smurfs movie. If I were them,I'd watch reruns of the FR to get an idea of what the movie's plot line should be.