1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jan 8, 2010.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm kind of surprised we don't already have a thread for Peanuts - I looked, and found "your thoughts" type of threads on various Peanuts specials, but not a thread for Peanuts discussion in general... we must do something about that!

You know, I got to watching some of the old Peanuts movies the other day, and I realized the main thing I like about them - Charles Schulz never really tried to outdo the specials and such on TV, the movies always had the exact same quality... in fact, it's mostly like watching extended specials, rather than half-hour ones. That's one thing you often don't see in animation; if you have a popular series or series of specials that get turned into movies, it's like the company always has to outdo themselves to make the movies even better than the series as far as quality is concerned. I remember reading even Ross Bagdasarian Jr. saying he wanted the comparison on the Chipmunks Saturday morning cartoon and The Chipmunk Adventure movie to be like comparing a dog house to the Taj Mahal. Not so with Peanuts movies, they always of the same overall quality as the specials.

Another thing I like too is how Schulz himself handled all of the writing, which I think is a smart idea, after all he was the one who brought all of these characters to life in the funny papers for us years ago, and who has a better understanding of the characters and how they react with each other, and in their surroundings than the creator?

2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I agree that having kept the same style of animation, even in the Charlie Brwn and Snoopy show on Saturday mornings, it was always both familiar and comfortable. Of course, following Sparky's lead, I always follow the strip for the tru chronology of Peanuts.

For example, in the special "Your first kiss" CB meets the rd haired girl, but not in the strips so Schulz says it didn't count. :)

Good Peanuts research can be found here:
    http://www.peanutscollectorclub.com/

A good produvt place to go:
    http://aaugh.com/

But be sure to visit the official kingdom here:
    www.flyingace.net

3. sesameguy

sesameguy Well-Known Member

Thanks to you both for the thoughts and links - I'm a big time "Peanuts" fan too. I agree that having Schulz "in charge" probably kept the strip's popularity going for as long as it did. It kept pretty much the same "feel" to it, even though the styles and plot lines and sometimes even the humor would change throughout the years.

If you can afford it, Fantagraphics books is currently reprinting all of the Peanuts comic strips. It's called "The complete Peanuts" and they are up to the 1970s, but I think older editions can still be purchased.

4. Fozzie Bear

I've been collecting the Fantagraphics books, too. Lots of great books available through the Snoopy Store online and the CMS Museum store.

I just remembered that once I started a Peanuts fan forum on Delphi in the mid 90's. Bet it's gone now. :)

As a collector, I think finding GOOD Peanuts merchandise is as hard as finding good Miss Piggy or Gonzo products.

Has anyone other than me been to the museum yet? All Peanuts fans should go there at least once. The museum is great, and the countryside and Santa Rosa people are beautiful through and through! Lots to do besides just the museum, but I could spend a month in the museum and never get bored.

5. sesameguy

sesameguy Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the museum yet, though I'd love to check it out. There was a small local exhibit of Schulz's work last year, but I was a little disappointed to learn that the comic strips they had were reprints and not the actual drawings themselves. (They still looked great, but it's always cool to see the originals!) It was fun to see, though, and the official museum definitely looks fun.

I agree, Peanuts stuff is getting hard to find. I never see any real Peanuts "toys" anymore. Thankfully, some area bookstores carry some of the books, and DVDs of many TV episodes are still available. But Snoopy dolls and the like seem to be rare.

6. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Well-Known Member

Haha, I've been there! ;)

For those of you who don't know, I live in Santa Rosa - we practically worship Charles Schulz LOL...

7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'd say it's like finding good Winnie the Pooh stuff. There's so much cheap little trinkets, that when it comes to something quality, it's few and far between. I liked the CVS plush, but that's not the highest quality stuff I've seen. Not that I'm a huge collector of high quality stuff... just thought I should point it out.

There are a lot of lower quality kiddy things if you know where to look. Cheap candy dispensers are usually floating around every holiday... but do you really want a Snoopy driving a clear purple pumpkin?

8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Today I bought "The Peanuts 1970s Collection Vol. 1" on DVD, though I only watched a few specials. I also have the "Peanuts 1960s Collection". I do find it odd that Warner Home Video and Fantagraph don't seem to be doing any kidn of cross-promotion for the DVDs and the "Complete Peanuts" books.

9. D'Snowth

Are you even allowed to do that?

10. minor muppetz

Not sure.

11. Super Scooter

Super Scooter Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Snoopy Come Home was out on DVD. As soon as I have some extra money, I'm going to have to pick that up (and A Boy Named Charlie Brown, too). I remember seeing these on the old Disney Channel when I was younger. Great movies!

I would love to have the complete collection of comics, but I'm afraid I'll just have to stick to my 50th anniversary collection book... which is awesome.

Oh, and I was wondering about something. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find the complete "Mr. Sack" storyline, also the comic strips with Peggy Jean. Charlie Brown met her at camp, then he sold all his comics to buy her gloves. I've always loved both of these storylines, but the whole thing isn't in the 50th anniversary book.

12. Drtooth

Agreed. I don't see why they wouldn't. At least... some sort of leaflet or paper inside that advertises the collection.

Unless they actually have one of those inside... I just never got around to buying one yet.

Uh... problem is they WERE out... and a little while before Warners got the Peanuts special license. So, you may just have some trouble, as they were released by Paramount. You might just wind up seeing them on amazon for triple their original price. I was going to check that out myself... I never got a chance to get either of them as well.

13. minor muppetz

I think the license only includes the specials, and maybe The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show. I think Paramount still holds the rights to the movies.

14. Fozzie Bear

AND make good blueberry muffins! If I lived in SR I'd have to get a job or at least volunteer at the museum so I could be there everyday. I loved that place.

15. Fozzie Bear

Go to the bookstore and thumb through the fantagraphics books would be the best bet.

16. minor muppetz

I recall seeing it in a book at my high school library. I forget what it was called, but I think it was themed around baseball-related strips. But it's probably out of print by now.

17. Drtooth

Well, if they're still printing them or they're still relatively common to find, then there shouldn't be a problem.

There's NOTHING worse than a confusing licensing blort with co-ownership.

Of course, Warners finally did get the Jetsons movie out despite the fact Universal was the production company.

Personally, I just wanna see the Charlie Brown and Snoopy show hit some sort of DVD release. I still have the old clamshell VHS (and last time I checked, surprisingly good condition).

18. Fozzie Bear

Complete season set(s); I forgot how long it ran.

19. D'Snowth

More than one obviously, as I've seen videos on YouTube of the opening credits, and they've been listed as "Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show: Season One Opening", "Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show: Season Two Opening", etc.

It seems like when it comes to old cartoons, they always use ONE specific credit sequence (opening and closing) for syndicated reruns, and I remember when I was a kid watching, the opening credits used was always instrumental, so when I saw the Season One opening credits on YT for the first time, it was a surprising experience for me because I was not aware there were lyrics, lol.

EDIT: Although never completely accurate, I checked with Wikipedia, and according to it, TCBASS lasted for about a season and a half (Season One consisted of 13 half-hour episodes, while Season Two consisted of five).

20. Fozzie Bear

See, that could all fit in one set. I'd buy it.