The Christmas Toy

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Hey ya'll. What do you guys think of the late 80's special "The Christmas Toy." It's definantley different than any other Muppet Christmas special I have seen, but anyways, just want to hear your thoughts about this special.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I got to see The Christmas Toy the other night, which was great. It's my all-time favorite Muppet Christmas special. I used to watch it all the time as a child, though it actually used to scare me a little, with the toys being frozen and the dark hallway shots.

It's so different from your typical holiday show, it's very melancholy and unsettling, while still being funny and touching. I'm amazed the Muppet group had the guts to be that serious.

Well anyway, that's where I got my latest signature from. Very inspiring! :smile:

There's one part of the special I always forget about but it's so funny. Just after Balthazar falls off the toy house:

Belmont: Balthazar, are you alright?!

Balthazar: No I'm not alright!!

Belmont: Well, should we help you up?

Balthazar: Not unless you want to wait for me!

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I saw The Christmas Toy back when it aired on Nickelodeon in the 1990s. I didn't know it was a Henson production until two years ago and I was really glad to find out that such a great special was made by Henson.

Is the DVD edited in anyway?

Tim

Reaction score
I enjoyed the show better than the series it spawned, but why is it no one's noticed Pixar kinda ripped off the basic premise for "Toys Story"?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tim said:
I enjoyed the show better than the series it spawned, but why is it no one's noticed Pixar kinda ripped off the basic premise for "Toys Story"?
I've noticed it long ago, back when Toy Story was first released.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
I saw The Christmas Toy back when it aired on Nickelodeon in the 1990s. I didn't know it was a Henson production until two years ago and I was really glad to find out that such a great special was made by Henson.
That's weird. It's first showing on Nickelodeon was part of Nickelodeons Sunday Night Muppets, and a year later it was shown as part of Nickelodeon's Friday Night Muppets, and it had also been shown as part of Nickelodeon's Muppet Matinee. It's also weird that you didn't know it was from Henson, because Kermit appeared at the beginning and end.

Infinity Sirius said:
Is the DVD edited in anyway?
So far it has never been released on DVD. There are two video releases. I know that the first video release (from Jim Henson Video) edited the opening scene, shown before Kermit's introduction. I don't know if the rerelease (from Jim Henson Home Entertainment) is edited or not.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
So far it has never been released on DVD.
It might not have been released in the US but it was included as bonus material on A Muppet Family Christmas DVD release in the UK (uncut) in 2003.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Tim said:
Definitely, but it wasn't just them. A lot of kid's shows and movies used the same idea over the years.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I didn't know it was from Henson because I always missed the opening scene and I think they edited Kermit out of the end when the show was on Nick.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
I didn't know it was from Henson because I always missed the opening scene and I think they edited Kermit out of the end when the show was on Nick.
No, they didn't.