The "classic moments" from seasons 6-10

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it seem like seasosn 6-10 don't really have very many moments that fans consider "classic"? The kinds of stuff that adult fans who aren't neccessarily "hardcore" like us would surely remember? Especially when compared to seasons 1-5 and 11-onward.

Because I remember when I made wishlists for Old School Volume 2 and 40 Years of Sunny Days (both at Muppet Central and frequently in my head), I felt I had trouble thinking up many segments that I would have expected to be considered "classic". Of course in the case of Old School Vol. 2 I was thinking outside the included episodes, and in the case of the 40th anniversary DVD I was pretty much thinking of what wasn't in Old School Vol. 2. And eventually I found out that certain segments that I previously thought were pre-season 6 or post-season 10 (such as "Grover serves a burger", "The Subway", "Invisible ice Cream Cone", "Kermit and the Weather Salesman", and "The Nobel Ostrich") were actually made during this time period.

Another thing that was interesting in this regard is that Old School Vol. 1 had many of the inserts that I associate as "classics", while vol. 2 had more of what I refer to as "random". The 40th anniversary set included many of the segments that were in the first Old School set but not the second (not counting "Roosevelt Franklin: Talking Loud/ Talking Soft", which had originated in season 4 and was included in a season 7 episode). But nothing on the 40th anniversary set from seasons 6-10 were included in Old School Vol. 2 (or any existing north american english-language commercial release, for that matter). Of course I feel most of those choices are either truly classic or notable, but it seems like it was rushing through that time period while heavily featuring the earlier seasons and the beginning of the 1980s (not that that's a bad thing... Old School Vol. 1 had a varried number of bonus inserts from each season, while volume 2 had an even number of bonus inserts for each year, except for season 6 which had a few more, and we haven't gotten an Old School Vol. 3, so I see that as Sesame Workshop's way of compensating).

And yes, I do know that three late-1970s segments ("What's the Name of That Song?", "Pinball Animation #12", and "I Just Adore Four") were nominated for inclusion. All had been released commercially, and I consider all to be classics (though I guess they would have been listed as "Fan Favorite" in the bonus features, a sopposed to part of the main program, listed under their respective seasons).

And it gets me wondering, do you also feel like seasons 6-10 have less classic moments that many fans know of, compared to other time periods? Could many of the late-1970s segments have been dropped sooner (though I think that's more likely the case with season one inserts)?

And what segments would we all think of as stuff that most fans would easily know about? I figure there are many Sesame Street News segments that would be instantly recognizable to all long-time fans, but of course a collectible DVD of old school Sesame Street content shouldn't have too many of the same recurring segments (and out of the three chosen as bonus skits on Old School Vol. 2, I only consider Mary had a Bicycle to be a classic). There's also the variosu Typewriter and Pinball segments, but I think most fans may remember the series of segments more than any individual segments (though I feel like "N-Nose" is one of the Typewriter cartoons that stand out).

I think I might post more on the subject later.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of the season 6-10 segments that I see as "classics" include (and it's possible that I'm wrong about some being from those years... it is sometimes hard to tell if somethign is from seasons 5 or 11-13 instead of 6-10, especially if it's live-action or animated):
  • What's the Name of That Song?
  • King Minus
  • Milk
  • Same and Different with Ernie and Cookie Monster
  • Roosevelt Franklin: Africa
  • Super-Grover: Bus Stop
  • Super-Grover: Broken Bag
  • Kermit and Grover: Earmuff Salesman
  • Kermit and Grover: Nosewarmer Salesman
  • Let's Make a Face
  • The Cookie Bunny
  • Breakfast Time
  • Telephoen Rock
  • Danger
  • Grover Serves a Burger
  • Grover: Near and Far
  • I Want a Monster to Be My Friend
  • Bert and Ernie: The Rhyming Game
  • Bert and Ernie: Bert Imagines Skating
  • Grover and Friends: Number 2
  • Grover Echoes
  • I Can't Help It
  • I Just Adore Four
  • Typewriter series
  • Pinball Number Count series
  • City-Country Song
  • Sinister Sam: Letter Y Box of Crayons
  • The Ten Commandments of Health
  • A Song From Kermit
  • This Frog
  • Proud of Me
  • Sing After me
  • Me and Julio Down by the School Yard
  • Invisible Ice Cream Cone
  • The Geefle and the Gonk
  • Bert and Ernie: Brad's Bath
  • Bert and Ernie: Ernie Leads a Band
  • Bert and Ernie: Bert teaches Pigeon Checkers
  • Bert and Ernie: The Count Sleeps Over
  • The Opposite Song
  • Cookie Monster At the Library
  • The Nobel Ostrich
  • Sign Cartoon series
  • Ringmaster series
  • Count Up to Nine
  • Cookie Disco
  • ABC Disco
  • Bein' Green (1976)
  • Cookie Monster: Magic Counting Cloth
  • Fonzie and Richie appearances (not too sure if any stand out on their own, though)
  • Billy Jo Jive series
  • Subway
  • Beat the Time: The Count
  • The Addition Game

And I chose not to list the Sesame Street News segments that I consider "classic". Now, some of those might just be fan favorites that we've all had access to in the last few years, or some really good ones that I've failed to recognize as just random moments that I really like. And there are some that I debated about listing, like I'm Square (I know it exists but I haven't seen it, or any pictures from it), One and One Make Two (I really like the song, but does the Bert and Ernie version even exist as a 1970s insert?), Kermit and Marlina talking about feet, the butterfly pageant, Admiral Bird, and others. Heck, I debated about whether the Super-Grover segments really stand out among the series.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And finally, I'll list all of the season 6-10 news segments that I view as classic:
  • Don Music: Mary Had a Little Lamb
  • Don Music: Twinkle Twinkle
  • Don Music: How to Get to Yellowstone Park
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Pinocchio
  • Peter Piper's Family
  • George Washington's Father
  • Santa Claus
  • Man in Snowstorm
  • Magic Mirror
  • Cookie Monster as Little Red Riding Hood
  • Hickory Dickory Dock

Hmm, that's less than I thought (Hulu lists season 5 as the debut of the Humpty Dumpty sketch, which I previously thought was from season 6; Then again, Hulu also lists The Count coutning three little pigs sketch as season five, and Kermit has a different hat in both sketches... Either one season is wrong, or Kermit switched hats halfway through the fifth season, or the three pigs sketch was held over to the next season. Of course Hulu also lists season 14 as the season Alice in Wonderland is from, but the Kermit puppet used there most likely wouldn't have still been used in season 14). Of course it could also be because it's late and I'm tired and can't think as clearly.

TelephoneRock

Reaction score
"Mary Had a Bicycle", personally, was the silliest Don Music sketch of them all. It's one of my fondest memories.