The Disney Channel (new To This Board? Please Read!)

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Let me get right down to it: The current Disney Channel is spitting on the Disney name as a whole.
Comment from a once proud viewer:
" …It's the QUALITY. I grew up with the Disney channel of the late 80's/early 90's, and the whole format was sophisticated and directed at a FAMILY audience instead of a small group of kids ... Walt Disney created many things in the hopes of bringing families together ... The current Disney channel has lost sight of that. Sadly, they’ve lost the Disney vision in many things... "
The company today preaches about family, yet at the same time ignores the very aspects of family entertainment upon which they were built.
When the Disney Channel began to ignore these ideals, they helped to stop the Disney name from flourishing. Not just as a company.
But also as a man.
Future generations will never know Walt Disney's genius.
What was once a channel known for quality theme park specials, animation marathons, classic Hollywood films and Mickey Mouse cartoons is now infamous for bathroom jokes and over-acting 'tweens.
Vault Disney, the late night block of vintage Disney shows and movies, has even been dumped. No longer will we see anything even related to Disney on the Disney Channel, not even at 1 am.
They should at least consider transforming ABC Family into Walt Disney Family and mix the old and new style programming there. It would also boost the ratings for an already struggling channel.
How far will Disney go in sacrificing quality to make money? Is there a limit as to how far their reputation -- Which, with every cheap-for-short-term-profit animated sequel, egocentric purchase by Michael Eisner, etc, keeps growing less -- can be dragged through the mud?
" …It is the affect of what might happen to whatever is left that bothers me" -- Walt Disney
"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past" -- Walt Disney
Please, Disney, do not ignore your heritage.
Fellow readers, Please sign the petition and more at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preservethemagic

Gerard

Reaction score
I like the Disney Channel... Here in Australia they are the only channel that airs The Muppet Show, even if it is at 10:00 pm.

spazyk

Reaction score
I like the disney channel... I like all the new stuff thay have.... Gotta tell ya soem of the old stuff is kinda well i dunno I don't like it but alot I do but they have all them on video... Hey im a teen And I like all the tween actors out there... I think disney still has quality programing... Its really the only channel thats made for kids/teens that plays shows 24/7 I love my Disney Channel!!!! I support my disney channel... I grew up late 80s through the 90s and still am today. But I never got Disney channel till maybe 3 years ago... And to me its quality programing. Whats your Idea of quality programing trekkie1701E? If its the Mickey Mouse club ICK! That show would NEVER survive today... As I see it there changing with the times. Kids today Like different things then you guys did years ago...

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I never realized that so many younger kids hate the classics ^^).

Please, read my entire post. My guess is that you read the first part, got furious that anyone could say anything against your beloved Disney Channel (or, as I call it, "Nickelodeon on crack"), and immediately started lashing out.

Read it ... think about it ... and don't act so naive.

beaker

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
Let me get right down to it: The current Disney Channel is spitting on the Disney name as a whole.
No, Disney is spitting on the Disney name. It is my opinion that Pixar, that isnt even Disney(yet they use Pixars characters as if they were always Disney canon), is th eonly cool thing going for Disney now.
$85 to get into Disneyland or Calif Adv(well, I just kow its high as heck),
endless streams of truly horrible live action and animation chealquel films, etc.

Just look at the benchmark of Disney: their animation. Their next to features are about cowboys and indians. how edgy.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Just look at the benchmark of Disney: their animation. Their next to features are about cowboys and indians. how edgy.
What Disney needs is to quit producing their cheap animated sequel crap (I do find some of their sequels enjoyable -- like LK II, HZTH, BLSC, BTBEXMAS -- but that's really beside the point), make more live-action films -- under the WDP label -- like HOLES, POTC, THE ROOKIE & THE ALAMO (An upcoming Davy Crockett epic with the awesome Billy Bob Thorton), and get more E-tickets into the parks.

spazyk

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
I never realized that so many younger kids hate the classics ^^).

Please, read my entire post. My guess is that you read the first part, got furious that anyone could say anything against your beloved Disney Channel (or, as I call it, "Nickelodeon on crack"), and immediately started lashing out.

Read it ... think about it ... and don't act so naive.
I did read you whole post... Im just stating my opinion..... And I didn't lash out... Im just saying I like Alot of the things Disney is doing....

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I like Alot of the things Disney is doing....
OK ... fair enough. But lemme ask you this: if DL was torn down, replaced by a cheap playground, and it cost $55 to enter, would you be angry? Or would you just shrug it off and say, "Well, I had fun. Too bad my kids will never know the quality entertainment that once was Disney."

Yeah ... too bad, huh?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
OK ... fair enough. But lemme ask you this: if DL was torn down, replaced by a cheap playground, and it cost $55 to enter, would you be angry? Or would you just shrug it off and say, "Well, I had fun. Too bad my kids will never know the quality entertainment that once was Disney."

Yeah ... too bad, huh?
OK before our head pops off, if a person likes the stuff Disney is making these days, let him like it. Though I miss the way Disney Channel used to be, if the kids like it (for example, my little brother, who LOVES it), all power to them. But I agree that Disney should some way try to get their immortal classics, especially the animated shorts, on TV somehow, or at best on VHS and DVD.

One more unrelated point on Disney Channel, despite not being a channel I, eh, necessarily like anymore, at least they have "Kim Possible," which is one of my favorite shows. So, for me, that makes up for it.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I agree. If they like it, bravo for them.

But there is nothing wrong with saying that Disney has lost touch with their principles. Indeed, principles are what this company was founded on; and there is nothing wrong with trying to preserve them and making people aware.