The Disney Channel

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
"It is not myself I am thinking about, but it is the affect of what might happen to whatever is left that bothers me" -- Walt Disney
The "new" Disney Channel is ignoring the very principles they were founded under and is spitting on the Disney name as a whole.
The following comment is from a once proud Disney Channel viewer who has signed the official petition. They sum up our case perfectly:
"I live in an area where the Disney Channel is a premium channel. After subscribing for nearly ten years, we unsubscribed in the fall of 1998 ... Fall [of] 1998 was when I started college, so I had grown up with the Disney Channel but had lost interest with the changing program. Without me at home, my parents nixed the channel. Through the 'old' Disney Channel, I was introduced to wonderful old movies. It was on Disney that I first saw a lot of the Disney classics as well as Hollywood classics like the musicals of Rogers and Hammerstein. It used to be programming that my parents and I could watch together when I was younger. Now the only group your channel plays to is the 12 and under crowd. Shame on you! Disney is about family and once this channel was for family, now it’s a commercial filled unwatchable channel for Disney fans. I might as well watch Nickelodeon or MTV and I don't have to pay extra."
We are not saying that they should get rid of programs such as Lizzie McGuire and Boy Meets World. Rather, mix current shows in with other daytime programming such as higher quality behind the scenes shows, Classic Hollywood (A Disney Channel series that used to show live action films from Hollywood’s Golden Age), cartoon shorts, old cartoon series from Disney Afternoon (Perhaps the channel could have its own two hour Disney Afternoon show with rotating cartoons each day; like Pepper Ann, Ducktales, Talespin, and Doug one day; Tarzan, Recess, Goof Troop and Darkwing Duck another; and so on), and vintage episodes of Walt Disney’s television shows. Bring back the yearly Animation Festival, Disneyland/Walt Disney World history shows and opening day programs on each parks birthday. It’s not too much to ask for. The station would not only re-gain its legacy and original reputation, but it would undoubtedly receive a broader and more diversified audience.
Hey ... Why not just turn Disneyland into a giant playground with shops? There's an idea. After all, it would be cheaper to operate and future generations will know it only it as a giant kiddy area. Not the family entertainment giant it once was.
Just like the Disney Channel.
If certain areas in this company ignore their principles, they stop the Disney name from flourishing. Not just as a company. But also as a man. A pioneer. Walt Disney, to be precise. Whose philosophy in the Disney Company was always to entice people to visit all of their masterpieces by providing nothing but "High quality family entertainment." The company he built currently preaches about family, yet at the same time ignores the very aspects and principles of family entertainment upon which they were built.
When the Disney Channel began to ignore these ideals, they helped to stop the Disney name from flourishing. Not just as a company. And Flourishing into what it was destined to be.
But also as a man. And What he was always meant to be.
Please sign the petition, get company mailing addresses and join the campaign at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preservethemagic
If anything, transform ABC Family into Walt Disney Family and put old Disney programming there. What is the harm of mixing in classic Disney films and TV shows for current and future generations to enjoy? After all, "this" is where Disney came from; "this" is where Disney was more of a magical legacy than a generic brand name, such as Nickelodeon or MTV.
I remember watching Bonanza on the Hallmark Channel one night, and I got kind of teary eyed during the commercial breaks when they showed previews of what westerns and original all-American movies were coming up. I remember thinking to myself "This is how the Disney Channel used to be; these are the values upon which it was built." The only difference is that Disney included cartoons and other children's programming during weekday mornings and afternoons.
But the Hallmark Channel is what the Disney Channel once was; and what the Disney Channel was always meant to be.
And It’s sad.
Please sign this petition and join the campaign:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preservethemagic

muppetfreak12

Reaction score
They should have more of the "old, original" stuff. Now you have to buy extra channels, and get up REALLY early, to see the good stuff.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
I cannot stand ANY of the ridiculous shows the Disney channel plays today. I mean what happened to the good ol' days when they played Fraggle Rock and Dumbo's Circus, and all those other great shows??

It's too bad Walt isn't still alive.

Jake

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yeah, I miss the days when Disney Channel was "The Disney Channel," but I mostly watch news and music videos today anyway.

I LOVE Kim Possible, though. One of the few bright spots. But IF Disney buys Henson, who knows?

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sir Didymus
I cannot stand ANY of the ridiculous shows the Disney channel plays today. I mean what happened to the good ol' days when they played Fraggle Rock and Dumbo's Circus, and all those other great shows??

It's too bad Walt isn't still alive.

Jake
Dumbo's Circus...sigh....I loved that show...I do not love Lizzie McGuire though. There definitely needs to be more of the old Disney Channel.

sunday

Reaction score
i wish i could have my own tv channel. i'd put muppet things and old classic disney on it.

anyone else love those old silly symphonie? :big_grin:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Here is a somewhat heartbreaking note that I got from a person who signed the petition:
"I know that I took some of the excellent shows for granted that were on the Disney Channel in the evenings (My Tivo would automatically record anything with Disneyland in the title). But now some short sighted execs have cut many of the true "Disney" shows. I teach 4th grade, and interestingly enough, one of my students asked one time "You mean Walt Disney was a PERSON?" Bring back the classics so that the kids will learn about Walt and his dream."