The Disney Deal: One Year Later

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Wow, one year.
Last year the news broke on my 29th birthday. An intersting gift for a Muppet fan. At first I was bummed, but the people at Disney aren't idiots! They do quality work and seem to appreciate the Muppets more than I thought! So turning 30 with the Muppets out of Henson's hands isn't so bad, besides it seems like Brian wasn't into the legacy anmore and wanted to strike out with his oun visions.

Happy First Birthday to the "New Muppet Era"
Long live the Muppets!

beaker

Reaction score
It strikes me that noone has a true vision over at Disney for the Muppets. Again look at that Jim Hill article, not the bastion of be all end all truth, but he makes a good point. Disney's Muppets are destined for mediocrity. Does this Chris Curtain guy even know where the Muppets should be at? I swear, 2002 was such an exciting year for Muppet fans...coming off the high of Muppetfest, the introduction of the figures, news of the edgy Fox prime time show, that pretty cool very Merry Muppet Xmas movie, etc. Sure EM.TV 'owened JHC', but the Muppets were JHC and vice versa. There is not one microcosm nerve in my body that is excited about Oz. I was excited about Muppets From Space, Elmo in Grouchland, Very Muppet Xmas, heck even Swamp Years. But after seeing that trailer, it brings JHC back to the dark ages of the early to mid 90's.

the SNL and Good Morning America appearences were in classic Muppet form, but that's not really anything that JHC didnt do(how many talk shows did Kermit and Pepe do?) Disney at least should have a fan appreciation day or something. Something...it's the 50th Anniversary of the Muppets.

christyb

Reaction score
I'd have to agree. I would too like to see at least a little mention of the 50th anniversary. I wish that we could have another big extravanganza celebrating it. A tv special, something. All in all though Disney is doing a good job with their new 'toy' and I'm sure well eventually get to see more of the stuff we know and love along with some new surprises. So here's to the Next 50 years!!!!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I'm agreeing with all the positive responses on this thread. I can't remember if it's in this thread or another one that someone wrote that the Muppets could be just collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere, but at least Disney is putting them to use. I would be so unhappy if I never saw Kermit again, but I think Disney won't let that happen. This last year was a chance for them to test the waters and now maybe we'll see even better and newer things from them. I hope that the 50th anniversary gets some attention though. It would be wrong if it didn't.

McFraggle

Reaction score
It is hard to believe that it has already been a year, but I think for the most part it has been a pretty good year. The Muppets have gotten more exposure since the acquisition than they have gotten in quite some time. The jury is still out on how it will wind up, but I like what I have seen so far. :big_grin:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I'm still optimistic about the deal. Like others, I think Disney has done a good job of promoting the Muppets so far--I think they're trying to balance between getting them out there and not overdoing it or overexposing them. They've got something really important with the Muppets, and they know it. They'll bring them out even further, but it has to go slowly. I think they're doing a good job so far...

janicegroupie

Reaction score
I am still unsure of how I feel about the Disney deal. They haven't let me down yet which is a good thing. I also have enjoyed the tv appearances I've seen and also the fact that when I went to Disney World there was a good amount of Muppet stuff. I won't know how I feel about the Muppet Wizard of Oz until I see it. That'll probably be the deciding factor for me of whether or not I like the deal. Also if the Muppet Show box sets really come out I will be totally confident in the deal. I'm still depressed about all the Jim Henson creations being separated but I guess that's sadly something that would've happened sooner or later. So yeah I am still waiting for Disney to prove that they are a good home for the Muppets but they haven't disappointed me yet which is a plus. Also like everyone else I so want something special for the 50th anniversary. :flirt:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Speaking of anniversaries, I would briefly like to mention that it was five years ago today that EM.TV bought The Jim Henson Company for $680 million.

How time flies when you're having a corporate meltdown. :attitude: