1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

"The Draidle Game"

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Daffyfan2003, Apr 12, 2011.

1. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Member

ok fictional narrative tv, maybe. i was talking more of news shows, "news" shows, talk shows, non-fiction kind of programs. but i guess you're right. house had a couple of good episodes on religion, but that was a few seasons ago already...i'm only up to the beginning of season six (but i was very excited, b/c my fiancee can always identify actors from bit tv roles he saw years ago and i can NEVER do that, but i recognized lin-manuel miranda b/c he was on sesame street.)
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh you're right, House has actually done some pretty thoughtful episodes on the topic. Btw, did your fiancee notice William Katt from Greatest American Hero in the 2nd season episode "House vs. God.?" Just wondering, lol.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I doubt any of those people would have bought that video anyway. It was only on TV one time, and that's where I caught it. I will say, they only talked about other holidays in passing, but at least a mention's more than anything else offers.
  4. mindy999

mindy999 New Member

To answer your initial question about the game itself, a dreidel is not a die it is a top. It has 4 Hebrew letters on it (Nun, Gimel, Hey and Shin) They stand for Nes gadol haya sham or translated to English: A Miracle happened there. In Israel they replace the shin with a pey to spell out Nes Gadol Haya Po or a miracle happened here.

These days it is played with candy. Each player ante's up and one person spins the dreidel. Whatever letter is displayed on top determines what you do. Everyone plays it differently but generally, if you get a gimmel you get the whole pot. If you get a nun you get nothing. Shin you have to put something in and Hey you get half the pot.

It was initially a gambling game played by adults. I imagine it is now watered down and seems pointless when you play it. But we usually divvy up all the candy at the end and eat it :insatiable:

-- Mindy
  5. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

It's about time we got back to the original topic here. Lol. Thanks for that info, Mindy. It sounds like a good game to play if I ever get a chance.