The Dream/Ambition Thread

Hubert

Reaction score
If there's one thing I love to talk about, it's inspirational topics. And pretty much the ancestor of all these topics are dreams. Not the kind of dreams you have at night, or when you daydream in the day, but the kind of dream as in a lifelong ambition. So I figured with so many diverse followers of Jim Henson, this would make a pretty interesting thread.

So, what are your thoughts, questions, comments, or anything else about dreams?

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I really want to be involved in movies somehow, or singing or some sort of performance based career. It's funny because sometimes I'll feel "Yay I have a dream, let's follow it Kermit,:smile: " that kinda mentality. Then other times I feel very "stupid dream, I've wasted my life chasing after you, I'm so stupid."

Anybody else feel this way or am I the only one? For the most part I like shooting for my dreams, it makes me feel like I have some sort of goal for my life. It's the times when I have trouble finding a real job that I feel like stomping it into the ground :smirk:

Hayley B

Reaction score
Mine would love to be, working backstage in Hollywood,CA. I would love to live around Los Angeles or Anaheim (in which I would need to be a rich woman to do so). Especially to hang around some friends at Disneyland every Sunday. That would be the dream. As for the ambition. It's hard to accomplish for only being a mere Delawarean.

Hubert

Reaction score
I really want to be involved in movies somehow, or singing or some sort of performance based career. It's funny because sometimes I'll feel "Yay I have a dream, let's follow it Kermit,:smile: " that kinda mentality. Then other times I feel very "stupid dream, I've wasted my life chasing after you, I'm so stupid."

Anybody else feel this way or am I the only one? For the most part I like shooting for my dreams, it makes me feel like I have some sort of goal for my life. It's the times when I have trouble finding a real job that I feel like stomping it into the ground :smirk:
I think we all feel that way at some point in following our dreams. It's the thing that makes the people who followed through with their dreams more admirable, that they were able to overcome those thoughts and those obstacles, even when life is not treating them too well. I think the important thing is that regardless of what is happening, we need to hold tight to that dream. Like you said, it's a wonderful thing to have a dream to follow, as it seems to make you feel like you have some sort of purpose in the big picture.

This is the thing I love about dreams, there are just so many aspects of them to discuss, and that's what this thread is for.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Sorry if mine sounds like a Debbie Downer. I also would had loved be a voice over. I looked at that as the easiest job in entertainment. But I gotten a reality lesson from even that too.

Hubert

Reaction score
No dream is a Debbie Downer. No matter how big or how small, they're not. Just wondering, why did you give up on being a voice over and stuff?

Hayley B

Reaction score
I would still love too. Just I asked a Disney World cast member at the Animation Studios about how to be a voice over years ago (this back in 1996, so it was actually being a Animation Studios during this time). She said you would have to goto college and basically be famous. She say alot of things that day that went to my head like omg.

Hubert

Reaction score
I think there's ways you can get in without going to college and stuff. It would probably take a little extra effort, but I think you still could possibly get in.

I should talk a little about a dream I have. I'm trying to work kinda behind-the-scenes in TV and/or film, y'know, like writing, directing, that kind of stuff. An idea I've been developing is possibly creating a family-friendly sitcom, like the kind they made in the 50s and 60s. I think it's something that this world does desperately needs, as all the stuff on TV seems to be adult-only garbage.

Hayley B

Reaction score
That is a good dream that I hope comes true for you. Also randomly thinking along with that. It would be nice if someone could make great Saturday Morning Cartoons again. I keep thinking, atleast like the 80's.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
Much luck to you Hollywood dreamers...that's possibly the hardest sort of dream to achieve, especially these days with such a huge talent (and semitalented) pool for potential studio employers to draw from. Do your best to stand out and still be You!

I think every dream has potential...but one should be realistic. In other words, have a Day Job to support yourself while spending your free time working toward that dream. It's doable, for most. Research and grab at every single opportunity for advancement. I'm going after an NEA grant for prose next year, so I can finally work on that novel I want to explore; even though IF I get it I won't see a dime until 2014, it's still something to shoot for. And meanwhile I'm writing whenever my brain isn't fried.

Think long-term. Dreams can sustain us, if we take care to sustain ourselves while we're pursuing them. :smile:
---------------