The End Of What We Grew Up With As Kids

mr3urious

Reaction score
Corn sugar (because it would be ridiculous to call cane or beet sugar "fructose-glucose cane/beet granules") is actually no better for you than any other sugar: 55% fructose to 45% glucose, as opposed to a 50-50 balance in table sugar. The "high" part comes from the fact that it's higher in fructose than regular corn syrup.

Plus, "natural" sugar is just as processed.
http://sweetscam.com/how-its-made/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Corn sugar (because it would be ridiculous to call cane or beet sugar "fructose-glucose cane/beet granules") is actually no better for you than any other sugar: 55% fructose to 45% glucose, as opposed to a 50-50 balance in table sugar. The "high" part comes from the fact that it's higher in fructose than regular corn syrup.
I don't care all that much about that. They say it's much more laxative like than regular sweeteners. And I'm kinda one to believe that, if you get my drift.

beaker

Reaction score
Aspartame is way worse though. I was wondering why I was feeling so so terrible, blah, had poor short term memory. My friend said "man, look at all that diet soda you're drinking". But yeah, high fructose corn syrup and aspartame is in everything, along with dangerously high levels of sodium. Why do companies do this? Because its cheap, its addictive, doesnt fill you up. I now try and eat organic when I can, but its hard. I do like fast food now and then...and while I LOVE to cook stuff from scratch now that I have my own place, it can be a bit tedious and ya just wanna microwave something.

@Heralde: Uh...those arent accidents. Those are dozens of people at the Chinese Apple plant jumping off the building, literally.

@The Shoe Fairy: I totally agree with what you mean...even something like The Corpse Bride and others use computers to map out movement and stuff. I LOVE the stop motion in Return of the Jedi, Robocop...theres a sort of jarring effect they employ. I understand why people like the old schools top motion Christmas tv films or Ray Harryhausen.

@Heralde: Im the same way, my mind cant shut off the fact its fake fake fake. Rise of the Planet of the Apes trailer: cgi is not quite there at all to fool the brain. Avatar, I couldnt get much into it...and I saw it 3d on imax. Tron Legacy Imax 3d I did love, least visually...so for some landscapes it works, just when whole characters are 3d, it kind of sours it.

I totally remember seeing Baby when it came out in theaters...85 or 86 I believe. Very cool. The Never Ending Story is one of my absolute favorite films, and a movie that would be almost all slick cgi without any nuances today.

And to all regarding health, weight, etc:
I think its a mix of people not realize these companies are poisoning us(not to be too much of a conspiracy theorist, but why is America so obese these days?) plus absolutely a lack of any kinetic movement in life. Now at the moment, I dont have a car so I have to walk a lot/take the bus. But the average person just doesn't get any modicum of exercise. Just wake up, take the car to work or college, come home...on with the telly and computer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And to all regarding health, weight, etc:
I think its a mix of people not realize these companies are poisoning us(not to be too much of a conspiracy theorist, but why is America so obese these days?) plus absolutely a lack of any kinetic movement in life. Now at the moment, I dont have a car so I have to walk a lot/take the bus. But the average person just doesn't get any modicum of exercise. Just wake up, take the car to work or college, come home...on with the telly and computer.
I think the true conspiracy is that the way we work and the way we educate, we're just trying to create a culture of fat lazy drones that are too jaded to do anything. Plus, it's so much enjoyment for the rich people who get the fat sucked out of them to see these poor little worker fatsos bumbling around while they're doing blow in a jacuzzi or something. We get no movement at work or school, but we're tired because we're bored, we're stressed, and we chug a bunch of coffee down everyday (how come there's no Super Caffeinate me Documentary?) Students are too stressed to come home and play, they get no exercise at school, but there's enough time in the day and enough money in the budget to shove test after test in front of our kids to see how much funding they deserve. And so much money goes into making the tests and correcting them... there's a sweetheart deal with local governments.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm not going to weigh in-- er, pun not intended -- on the obesity issue very deeply here; I have seen ample proof that the young 'uns around here, at least, are typically overweight and lazy and often spoiled, even the lesser-paid folks, unfortunately. And it's horribly true that the megacorps don't give a rat's bum about the damage they do the environment, social impacts, etc.

However...

I spent over an hour today in an amazing toy store which clearly appeals to both the tiny tots and the nostalgic over-35s like myself. There were classic kids' books with gorgeous illustrations, Sea Monkey kits, kites, windups (including tin ones!), little games and toys and all kinds of wondrous things...AND this store has been in the community for years, and won awards for "best fun store" and so on from local and well-circulated papers consistently. The point is, it is aimed at innocent pleasures...and it continues to do good business.

I bought a mini kaliedescope for a friend, and a "Movie Stars of the '50s" fashion paperdoll book for one of my housemates whose birthday it is today, and held back from purchasing the entire line of small, plastic, very authentic dinosaur skeletons for myself to set up my very own desktop dinosaur museum. (Tempted. Very. Recalled budget and stuck to gifts for others. But I'll be back.)

So...appreciation for interactive, non-cgi, non-videogame toys still exists, thank the Frog!
--------------------------------------------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I totally remember seeing Baby when it came out in theaters...85 or 86 I believe. Very cool. The Never Ending Story is one of my absolute favorite films, and a movie that would be almost all slick cgi without any nuances today.
The thing is with older films I feel like you can see the effort and the work people put into everything, when the effects were actors in costumes, puppets, stop motion or even early camera tricks. They didn't have "advanced technology" so they worked with what they had and the results had a lot of heart and quirky charm. I just don't feel that same appreciation when I see CGI. Which I know isn't fair, CGI artists are very skilled and talented and work very hard too. But often it's all just too streamlined and perfect looking.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say, it is a might unfair to put all CGI in a bad light. After all, a medium is a medium, and a great artist can make anything shine, while a hack can ruin anything. I gush about Pixar and to a lesser extent post Over the Hedge Dreamworks all the time. Honestly, it doesn't matter what medium these films are in, they're well written and well acted. I mean, I can't say enough about Up.

And sometimes a CGI effect is needed in a movie no matter what.

However, it's the pointless overuse in cheap kiddy movies and some adult ones as well, not to mention the horrid little thrid party animated movies from terrible studios that have no business in the industry (to say nothing of the bad, F grade student CGI they have for local and or shifty commercials) that put the medium in a negative light.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have to say, it is a might unfair to put all CGI in a bad light. After all, a medium is a medium, and a great artist can make anything shine, while a hack can ruin anything.
Oh yeah definitely, and I did say I knew it was a bit unfair, hehe. I thought Lord of the Rings' Gollum was proof of the quality CGI could produce under the right circumstances.
And sometimes a CGI effect is needed in a movie no matter what.
I do think CGI works best when it's supporting a movie's effects. Making CGI the whole movie has been hit or miss at best!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd rather see a movie that's entirely in CGI than a movie with CGI characters done wrong.

CGI is best when it supports the rest of the film. I LOVE the look of Where the Wild Things Are, using the original puppet bodies, but CGI effects perfecting the mouth movements and emotions. That's one thing the film got right. They managed to get something in there for everyone to react to and blend the animation in flawlessly.

Where as the Chipmunks or Yogi Bear look pasted in.