The Feebles

Bootsy

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a movie called the Feebles (it's like a rude muppet version and was it made by Jim or can anyone help me out here? :confused: :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I've heard of it. It wasn't made by Jim.

I'm pretty sure of that.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
It was made by director Peter Jackson (of Lord of the Rings fame) back in 1989. It's basically a very raunchy, risque, violent and extremely disturbing parody of the Muppet Show (albiet a loose parody). While morbid curiosity made me want to rent it, I don't have enough morbid left in me to want to rent it again. It crossed lines South Park hasn't discovered yet. I don't know, maybe I've just too weak a stomach, but Meet the Feebles really unhinged me. I suppose you could compare it to Crank Yankers, since both have puppets vomiting, being promiscuous and so on. But for some reason, Crank Yankers seems a little more controlled and easier to watch. At any rate, it's available to rent, but I'd forwarn anyone with a serious love for the Muppets and puppetry in general. This is pretty harsh stuff (and definitely NOT for kids).

Here's a link to imdb.com for further info.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097858/

practicecactus

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not very funny. Just, kind of disturbing.
I guess he just wanted it to be shocking but it's got this 'sleazy' feel to it.

Iokitek

Reaction score
I thought it was funny :smile: Not unsettling at all. I guess I just have the stomach for it. For whatever "it" would be anyway. They are puppets and so nothing can shock me then because I can't take it seriously enough. Especially with all the jokes being made. They are not American puppeteers btw. It must be a different sort of humour than the Americans are used to.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't find it disturbing either, It'd take a lot to shock me , but It just wasn't my kind of adult puppetry.I just, kind of, found it lame.
Which is a shame.It could have been much better.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Well it was his first ever puppet-project. And his only one if I'm correct. I think he did very well concidering this. But yeah, I would never make a movie like that. A puppet zombie movie is quite different in my opinion though. I would love to make one sometime :crazy:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Peter Jackson's early "shock" trilogy - "Bad Taste", "Meet the Feebles" and "Brain Dead" were all about achieving maximum shock value. Feebles is really impressive when you consider it was all done in New Zealand with virtually no budget and no formal experience in puppetry. It's practically a home movie. Feebles was also the first gig for a bunch of FX hacks who went on to call themselves WETA workshop. :wink:

There is a great web site devoted to Feebles at www.ween.net/feebles/

Iokitek

Reaction score
I have all three of those on DVD. They were really cheap actually. Peter Jackson was one of the people who made me realize it was possible to make great movies without having a big budget. You can learn a great deal from watching the making-of of Bad Taste. Unfortunately I don't have any extra's on the Feebles DVD.

doctort13

Reaction score
I guess I am one of the few that enjoys the sicko humor of "Meet The Feebles". I felt that it could have used a little editing, to tighten the script up, but overall I like it.