The first ever MopFam Fic: Mother's story!!

christyb

Reaction score
Hi guys. The day has come. So in order to build up some excitement here (a feeble attempt yes) I'm beginning the thread. :smile: Be on the look out everyone for chapter one to be up later today. (i.e. After I get off work. I'm on my break now) Also, to all MopFam players that are featured...I hope I got your characters right. So enough mystery...already. We find out Mother's story...at least a good chunk of it. See ya tonight!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh! I wonder what it will be about?

:zany:

But seriously, this looks to be a great story, and those who don't know the Moppet Family well can see and read this as it is easier to understand than our thread, and get to know us a little better.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yea! Christy's back and she's writing! I'm not part of the Moppet Family, but I love your writing Christy, so I'm excited to read it!!!

Vibs

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Oh! I wonder what it will be about?
... Yeah right ... :stick_out_tongue:

I can't wait Christy!! And I can't wait till you officially get back here.

Loads of danishes from a dane that misses you.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm so excited I might pop!

*Pops and makes a mess all over the place*

George the Janitor: I'll get my mop...

Vibs

Reaction score
Yuck! This is so gross! I have w, h and r on my shirt! Get over here with that mop right now or I'll... throw a c on you!!

christyb

Reaction score
Well, guys here ya go. Yes, I'm sporadically back Beth. However, I'm not back full time. The story is finished. So the more you whine... :wink: the faster I post. Anyways here goes.

Prologue:

The house was quiet giving Mother a few moments of peace. The twins were sleeping peacefully, Vic was at school, and her husband at work. All the others that tramped in and out of her busy house were in their own respective homes for a change. Mother planned to enjoy every moment of quiet.

She crossed quietly looking all around her neat home. Absentmindedly she picked up a toy and put it away, and stepped over the sleeping dog. The neighbors always wondered how she kept order in the midst of such chaos. None of them knew that she had had plenty of practice. Keeping this house in semi-order was easy compared to what she used to do before becoming a stay at home mom.

In the kitchen she rummaged through the junk drawer until she found some matches. Then she searched the laundry room until she found an old kerosene lamp. She could have just used a flashlight, but the easy way out would have ruined the mood. Quietly she checked on the twins one more time and picked up the baby monitor receiver.

Mother hummed an old sea ditty as she pulled down the access into the dark attic. After her ascent she set down the lamp and lit it easily. She brushed her long dark hair back with a hand and coughed at the dust. Looking around she smiled upon seeing what she had come after.

In the far corner hidden by Christmas decorations, old Halloween costumes, and forgotten toys laid an old chest. The hinges were a slight rusty and the wood smelled of mold. Mother knelt down and thoughtfully caressed the old trunk. She placed the lamp upon the floor and lifted the lid.

Most people would see the contents as junk. To her they were more precious than the gold that she used to pillage. Lifting an faded white shirt she brought it to her nose and smelled the sea. It was enough to set her thoughts back to when she was a young girl….

Chapter One

A sullen teenage girl in a simple school uniform sat sulking in the folding chair. Across from her the headmaster stood peering down into an overstuffed folder. Clucking his tongue in disapproval, the girl swatted at a fly that was buzzing about and glared ahead. Outside the sun shone through the window shedding a spotlight inside the small office. The clock tower struck the hour as the large man set the folder down on the large mahogany desk with a thud.

Seating himself down he folded his hands together and met the gaze of the troubled girl ahead of him. Their eyes met as the wall clock ticked by the seconds. As the staring contest continued the only sound was the fly who couldn’t find a resting place. With a sigh, the headmaster lowered his head and spoke, “What am I going to do with you? You’re a brilliant girl. Next to your brother, you are the best student here. Why do you act out in such a way?”

With a flip of her hand and never breaking her defiant stare she said, “I told you. This place is one big bore. I’m seventeen and already I’ve completed the curriculum. That and there’s all those rules. ‘Keep your abilities a secret, Never deal with human emotions, never use your magic for personal gain,’ and the list goes on and on,” she paused and smirked. Then a smart alecky grin spread across her face as she continued, “Besides, you told me yourself that I should find a constructive outlet.”

“Look, Miss Cole, this is the final straw. One more outburst and I’ll be forced to expel you. You know what that means? No graduation, no future teaching job here, ex-communicated from the magical community, forced to lead a life as a normal person, and loss of your abilities. Now you don’t want that do you?”

“Well as enlightening as this conversation has been I better be going now. I don’t want to be late for class,” she hoisted her backpack and opened the door. Slipping out she left the befuddled man behind with a satisfied grin on her face. Swatting a fly out of her face she turned and started down a hallway opposite of her classroom.

Suddenly a strong hand grabbed her, whipped her around and pinned her against the wall. She looked up into the dark eyes of her older brother. With a grunt she struggled to get free, “Adam, lay off will ya? You’re hurting me.”

“With your attitude I ought to draw and quarter you. What on earth are you thinking?” Adam looked down into his younger sister’s eyes and growled.

“I thought that was you. A fly? Really you can do better,” she said while snapping her fingers and disappearing to the other side. With one quick fluid motion Adam had her pinned to the other wall.

“I’m not finished with you. First, when you speak to the Headmaster treat him with respect. Secondly, modifying the family recipe and using it on him? How stupid can you get?”

“The man will thank me when Professor Himkel and he tie the knot. Besides everyone in school is sick of his puppy dog looks. Not to mention if it wasn’t for somebody I wouldn’t have gotten caught!”

“I was trying to undo what you did. Heaven forbid both of us to have your ability for sneaking.”

“Oh and what is Headmaster’s favorite gonna do to me? Lock me up like you did last time? How about turning me into a parrot and keeping me on your shoulder like the time before?” she said mocking his previous attempts at keeping an eye on her.

Adam sighed and released his grip. His dark eyes grew clouded and pleading, “Don’t you know I want you up there with me on that stage when we graduate in a few months? You’ll be the youngest ever to have completed the Magic School’s curriculum. Not to mention the fact that you’re just a couple points from having the highest ever marks. It’s a great honor. You should actually be there to receive it. One more wrong move and you’re gone, without a chance of parole.”

Christy Cole had a reputation for being a tough gal with a touch of a soft side. Her long dark hair and flashing blue eyes turned many heads. She had an amazing intelligence. Although her heedlessness usually did more harm than good. She skipped an occasional class, but yet came out on top. She was infamous for her bad attitude and fearlessness. She was one person you never wanted to cross. Her brother Adam was one of the few who dared to, “Don’t worry. I’ll be there. Besides what’s a Valedictorian without his Salutatorian?”

A sharp whistle echoed through the long marble corridor. Both looked up to spot a lone figure leaning against the brick archway at the other end of the hallway. Christy motioned for the person to wait there. He nodded back but motioned to the watch on his wrist.

Adam’s face clouded over after recognizing who the person was, “You’re still seeing him?”

“Yes, I am. Angie likes him. Why don’t you?” she crossed her arms in front of her chest and asked.

“That fairy godmother of yours is missing a few bricks in her house. Why can’t you date someone nice like that kid that lives next door to Mom and Dad? That bad boy over there isn‘t exactly a good influence on you.”

“Beauregard Moppet!!?? That gangly boy that can’t walk two steps without tripping? Maybe in your dreams big brother.” She looked back down the hallway at her impatient boyfriend. Giving Adam a playful pinch on the cheek she turned to go. “Look, I’ll be okay you worrywart. Besides, Ron’s not all that bad.”

“That’s what you think,” Adam muttered at the retreating figure. She turned around and blew a kiss at her brother. Ron slipped an arm around her waist and they left.

Adam stared at the empty space where his sister had left. A meow made him look up at the window above. A sleek and beautiful cat stood perched in the brick windowsill. “Oh hi Izzy. How long have you been there?”

Isabelle purred and jumped down from her perch. She landed and stood up in her human form, “Long enough. She’s a handful isn’t she?”

“Yeah, but she’s the best darned thing that’s ever passed through these walls.”

“And that’s what scares you my friend.”

“Yes, it scares me. She’s going to get herself hurt.”

“No worry if I know you, you’ll be right there. You’ll pull her out of any scrape she manages to get herself into.”

Adam smiled at his new girlfriend. They hadn’t known each other long, and yet she already knew him like a book. With a shrug, he placed a protective arm around her and they both walked in the opposite direction; hoping that they would reach class on time.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good start. There's some potential here.
Regarding the character portrayal, should I talk to you about that through PM's?

And if it's OK to ask... When can we get Chapter 2?
Just hoping you don't string us along through too deep a fall like the one Amy took.