The "hand-stitched hands" blues.

JacobsBest

Reaction score
I desperately (dramatic flair) want to use my "Henson" stitch to sew the hands of my current project, but I cannot figure out how to lay out the pattern in a way that makes it easy to dexterously maneuver about. I have machine sewn the arms/hands (only!) of my previous projects and I do not like the noticeable seam. Any advice would be posilutely, most transparently appreciated! :big_grin:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Gee, I just spent an evening sewing hands and feet. Henson stitch, no less. Lemme tell you, if there's an easy way to do it, I sure don't know it. In my opinion, if there is an afterlife of eternal torment and suffering for puppet builders, it involves sewing hands!

That said, the method I use is: make the wired foam hand insert first. (Project Puppet has instructions on that if you need 'em.) Then pin the fabric to the foam hand, right side out. Sew it right on top of the fingers. When you're done sewing, then pick the seams. I like to use a firm toothbrush rather than a needle. It's faster, smoother, and less wear and tear on my nerves.

I hope this helps.

JacobsBest

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! This is exactly the approach I settled on (read as: resigned myself to). I just finished the wire to palm-plate procedure and need only sandwich and cement my foam after I decide on a removable arm-rod design. BTW, your Fraggle is the cat's pajamas!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heh, you're using a fancier approach than I do! I just make a hand shape out of florists' wire and glue that in between the sandwich halves. I glue the rod in after the hand is assembled; sewing a hand while a rod is sticking out would be more misery than I can handle.

JacobsBest

Reaction score
Agreed. I will likely just add a small loop in which a removal arm-rod will eventually connect. Oh, and my "fancy" palm-plate is a dissected chunky cardboard Sesame Street book my toddler chewed up, lol!