The Hawaii Episodes, Probable 2008 Release?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently saw a thread at the Tough Pigs forum, which reprinted a recent article about the 1970s hawiai episodes. There were some quotes by Buffy St. Marie-Wolfchild, who mentioned that she recently signed a release form for those episodes to be released on DVD. I'll have to reread the article, but I think she mentioned that it's planned for release next year.

Anyway, isn't this great news? I don't know if that's what will be on Old School Volume 3, or if it will be a seperate release. Maybe it will be a boxed set, or maybe the linking scenes will just be edited together (like on Friends to the Rescue).

:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just reread the Tough Pigs post where I read about this, and noticed that it said that Buffy St. Marie signed the release papers for a DVD release last year, which most likely means 2006, and that Buffy hopes that it gets released in 2008. If the release form was signed before the release of Old School volume 2, which wasn't the hawiai episodes, then that doesn't mean that the hawiai ones will be next.

I can see some good and bad points about this being on the next Old School set. For the bad points, if this is the content of Old School Volume 3, instead of the 1979-1984 premieres, then we won't be getting any Monsterpiece Theater segments. But for the good points, there is more number variety. Only one of those epsidoes is sponsored by the number 2, and this set will have Jazz #7, Six Song (Song of Six), and Pinball Number Count #3. I think this set will have two Mad Painter segments (I could be wrong on that), and it will have at least two Typewriter segments. These episodes do also have a lot of segments that were included in the first two Old School sets.

Since the storyline is six parts (and somebody at Tough Pigs claims that the episode before epsidoe 1090 also had something to do with the storyline, as Big Bird went on a Guy Smiley game show and won the trip), then I don't expect many special features (maybe a short interview or documentary about these episodes). But I don't think bonus skits would be as neccessary on this set. The first two "Old School" sets were promoted as representing certain years, and the bonus segments on those sets were categorized by season (though some were wrong, or slightly wrong). The hawiai episodes were all part of the same season. Though it would be great if bonus segments from the first ten years were included. But it would probably be more appropriate for bonus segmnets to include segments that are either about hawiai or going on vacation.

And I doubt that there would be room for any additional test pilots. I was hoping to see another test pilot next year.

But maybe this set will not be an Old School set, and will be a special boxed set. Maybe another collectors set (some of us have been craving addiitonal collectors sets). Or maybe it will be a one disc set, with just linking stories edited together. It might confuse kids, with Snuffy being called imaginary, and such forgotten characters as Mr. Hooper, Olivia, and Buffy, unless it's promoted as an adult release.

SSLFan

Reaction score
It would be such thrill if they release these episodes on dvd. I remember watching them on Noggin as part of 'Sesame Unpaved.'

Ah...the memories...

Drtooth

Reaction score
ou know, considering what minor muppetz has said, I too wonder if Old School set 3 will either be more 1970's episodes, or if they're going to break into the 80's. It all goes back to the fact that I'd love to see Sesame Old School become a subbrand of Sesame Street. Something where we'd see some smaller DVD releases of sepcific episodes or just collections of skits (as well as either rereleases of Albums or compilations of rare old songs).

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
What happend to Buffy Does Buffy is Dead or Alive! Please! Tell me!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh Jeany... Buffy Sainte-Marie Wolfchild is indeed still alive.
Mentioned this in another thread... Old School Volumes 1 and 2, contain the first ten seasons' premieres. And those are all episodes we got as part of Sesame Street Unpaved when it aired on Noggin, presented in their complete or as near-to-complete versions. Because they've been able to release six episodes, three discs with two shows each, it makes me think that a six-episode story like the Hawaii vacation would make the most sense for the next set. They could surprise us and go with the New Mexico vacation instead, but I think that since it was part of Unpaved, Hawaii will be a more likely candidate. This could then give them license to include bonus clips from all ten first seasons. Then again, it's only speculation at this point and I welcome whatever happens, so long as there is an Old School Volume 3 released next year.