The Henson Stitch

Super Scooter

Reaction score
That doesn't sound like it would take "hours to do" as Don Sahlin claimed.

My technique is surprisingly simple, though a bit difficult. You know how when you're sewing you hold the two pieces up against each other then sew together that way? Don't do that. You lay the two pieces SEPERATE down on the floor, or table, or whatever, then sew the edges togehter. You cannot let the material fold, otherwise the seams become immediately visible. Go in the one piece, out the SAME piece right up next to the edge, less than a centemeter away from the edge of the material, then go in the next piece in the same place, less than a centimeter away from the edge, then out again, and tie the stitch together. If that makes any sense to you at all, well, then, WEIRD!

It actually prevents the two edges from ever actually being connected, which eliminates the seam. Or at least the apparent seam. Try it with antron fleece.

sorta like the image below...

--][--

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Not the standard stitching where we put the pieces against one another to sew; rather, we lay the different pieces side by side and stitch them together where they touch. Did that help?

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Not the standard stitching where we put the pieces against one another to sew; rather, we lay the different pieces side by side and stitch them together where they touch. Did that help?

A wittle bit, but I didn't understand the stitching technique. And do you tie it after EVERY stich? Holy crow! *laughing*

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Eek! I missed that part! I guess you do. I think i do that anyways, with like a loop-stitch I suppose, where I stick it in one side, pull it out hte other and wrap the thread around the needle.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
That doesn't sound like it would take "hours to do" as Don Sahlin claimed.
Actually, it can take hours to do properly ("properly" being the operative world).

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Actually, it can take hours to do properly ("properly" being the operative world).

HAAA!!
We're talking about "stitches" and you said "operative!"

I thought it was funn-ee.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
A wittle bit, but I didn't understand the stitching technique. And do you tie it after EVERY stich? Holy crow! *laughing*
It's sort of a weird whip stitch... sorta...

you have to make sure the stitch is good and tight before tying it off. And, it's not a real knot, just sort of... I really don't know what to call it... but it works.

I hope you guys try it soemtime... if you can figure it out! Maybe I'll make a pattern and post it online somewhere...