The irony of Elmos popularity

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, it was insane the year Tickle Me Elmo came out. I think it was around Christmas time too, and they were selling so fast. People were going waaay out on a limb just to get one. It was like the Jingle All the Way movie. It was a cute toy, I admit. Since the toy was released, they would make constant jokes in reference to it on the show. The Potty Elmo is a bit disturbing though IMO.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Thats funny that you would happen to mention the movie "Jingle all the way".
As I was writing the previous post, I was thinking of the exact same thing! :smile:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Why not just give him a spin-off of his own?

furryredmonster said:
Hello? Your looking at Elmo's number one fan!! lol
I think Elmo is the heart and fun and joy of SS and will be forever. I watched SS this morning, and actually ELMO is not in every skit. Elmo mostly is in Elmo's World.
:sympathy: I'm kind of new here, and, if you have read any of my early posts, you might think of me as a genuine Elmo-basher. But that's actualy far from the truth. Although I may not be his #1 fan, believe it or not, I totally agree with you as far as your description of him is concerned. And here in lies the problem that I see: IMO, SS has always been a place of fun and joy, FOR EVERYONE (except mabey Oscar, of course). And when Elmo first Joined the crew, his cuteness and sweetness was rightfully displayed, ALONG WITH EVERYONE ELSES. But then, exactly when and for what reason I don't know, Elmo suddenly was suddenly handed the torch and placed on the pedistol and, just as you said, declared to be " the heart and fun and joy of SS, FOREVER!", and eventually given a whopping 1/3 of the SS show which would be "dedicated" in his name. And while all this was happening, the other muppets, that we had all grown to love and adore, were mercelesly placed on a back-burner, where they were forced to draw lots as to who would stay and who would be retired. Can you please tell me what they all did to deserve this? I'll be the first to admit, Elmo did bring an awfull lot of money to the show, but I really think the other muppets were given an unfair treatment when it comes to this subject.

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
I, personally, have nothing against Elmo. He's a cute and endearing Muppet that is every inch as lovable as the rest on Sesame Street. But I do feel that his tsunami-like popularity and having taken over the show is a bit much. To someone who grew up with Sesame Street from the early 80s and was possibly the biggest Big Bird fan ever, I find it just a little disconcerting. I don't particularly mind Elmo having the spotlight, but he comes across as hogging it greedily, whether on purpose or not. I think he should share, like Big Bird shared when that same spotlight was on him.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
minor muppetz When Random House started making Sesame Street videos in 1986 said:
I would like to add that even though Big Bird was the star back then, it seems like Ernie actually appeared in at least one segment on every video from the 1980s (I do not know if Ernie appeared in Getting Ready For School, but he was in every other video made between 1986 and 1988).