1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Jim Henson Company Puppets to perform at the 2011 Grammys

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by TheMonsterAteMe, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's the thing. We LET it control us and power us. We create a Frankenstein, and freak out when it attacks the villagers. People are afraid of being desensitized, but somehow, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If we take away the shock out of the shock value, it's essentially nothing. Maybe that's why I saw this so mildly... the shock is pretty much gone from me when it comes to cuss words. It's how they're used in certain context that would still bug me. That said, horrific violence in real life shocks me, yet when I see it on TV and know it's not real, it just doesn't have the same impact, unless it's a specific situation.

But then again, we're all a large hammer drop on a barefoot from saying it anyway. unless you have uncanny self control.
  2. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

50 years ago, you were prohibited from showing two people in the same bed on TV. 50 years later, that's all you see when you turn on the TV.
  3. heralde Well-Known Member

Agreed. But at the same time, the world is only as we make it and only what we're willing to fight for. Nothing will change if we just turn if off and ignore it.

Exactly, all we do is go from one extreme to the other.
  4. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I agree with some of what you're saying, heralde, but why should something be censored on a PRIME TIME show. This is what the song was, what the music is. Heck that's why the song got FAMOUS. People weren't offended by it, they were ENJOYING it, hence why it gained the popularity that it did.

If people are uncomfortable with watching something, I get that. There's stuff on T.V. I don't like to see, but I don't prohibit others from watching what I don't like. I just change the channel. I agree with Dr. Tooth's post that the FCC has gotten quite overboard with a lot of things in recent years. And because of that we have become too much of a PC and overly sensitive society.
  5. heralde Well-Known Member

Well let me be clear I am not talking about censorship. But just because some people enjoyed something doesn't make it edgy or particularly creative, which I assume is what the Henson Alternative is going for. The Muppets were able to be edgy in the past without restoring to this stuff.

No offence to the people who did like it, I'm just sharing my opinion. :)
  6. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

No you're entitled to your opinion, I just don't see how it's taking a step backwards for them. If anything this was a GREAT step for them, they have the movie coming out later this year, (and yes I know it's not with the characters we saw on the Grammys) but it's revamping not only maybe the Henson Company as a whole and bringing it back to people's attention, but they performed on one of the biggest songs of the year, with one of the biggest artists out now. I don't see how it can be viewed as a bad thing.
  7. heralde Well-Known Member

Well again, biggest artist does not equal good artist. That's all I'm saying. ;)
  8. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

No it doesn't, but whatever you think of the music, it's a good move for them. There's no stepping around it.
  9. heralde Well-Known Member

I think it remains to be seen. ;) Again, no offence. :)

It's not that I don't want them to move forward. It's just that following the latest fads and gaining some publicity does not automatically equal moving forward.
  10. jcnegron Member

This thread is long now.

I just wanted to comment that I have never heard this song before until I saw the video with the puppets performance, and I liked the music very much. It has a 70's feel on the music. After reading this thread i realized there are several versions of the same song a uncensored, a censored and a sanitized version.

I thought that they cleaned the song for this performance but then I found that it has been available since just a month after they released the original one.

I am thinking of getting the clean one, I liked it better, because the lyrics fit better in the music. Funny that in this age of downloads, you can get your albums á la carte.
  11. Puckrox Well-Known Member

I finally got around to watching the performance. I thought it was pretty great. I thought the puppets were a nice touch. Quite honestly though, I prefer the noncensored version of the song. "Forget" is two syllables, as opposed to the actual word, so you have to cram it in there to make the verse work. Plus, honestly, the song is more fun to belt out with the profanity. But that's my own personal opinion.

But, yeah, it was a great, colorful performance. :)
  12. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Not offended at all. But I disagree, the Muppets these days rely on trying to be hip and going with famous trend, etc. so this was just another rung on the ladder for them. They have a movie coming out at the end of the year that they have been trying to promote like crazy, but the reality is, it's going to go nowhere if they just rely on the diehard fans like us here. They need to appeal to a WIDE audience which was something that made them successful in the first place and took off big time with the Muppet Show.

Their being on the Grammys was another step towards accomplishing that. Because the sad part is, in most people's minds today, Jim Henson and the Muppets have either not had the appeal they used to back in their heyday or have been kind of forgotten in the general public's mind. So for them to be on a HUGE awards show performing with a popular singer can only be a step forward. I wouldn't exactly say Cee-Lo is a "fad". either. He had another huge single with his group Gnarls Barkley "Crazy" back in 2006. That's four years ago already. And that song had massive radio airplay on all different kinds of crossover radio stations to the point where my mom who doesn't like anything out today LOVED that song and that's the same type of cross promoting the Muppets are trying to get by having them do this kind of appearance.
  13. anytimepally Active Member

For the world in general, I agree. But for television, of course it will change if we turn it off and ignore it. If no one's watching, there's no money to be made, and it's all about money. So television companies would be forced to come up with something that we won't turn off and will make money for them.
  14. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think this Grammys spot was a great idea that elevated Henson back into the current public consciousness at a time when they're also planning to shoot their new puppet noir film...and it was a lot of fun too. Thinking anything more than that is over thinking. You can't always tell which star is going to be flavor of the month and which one will endure. Talent isn't always the indicator. Either way, this was performed in front of a worldwide television audience and a room full of fantastic recording artists. Nothing about this music sketch cheapened the Henson name. In fact, it was the highlight of the night that rebranded a song already strongly solidified in the public mind. This was an A+ effort. :super:
  15. anytimepally Active Member

Agreed! :) .. Unfortunately.
  16. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That's a problem that a lot of franchises deal with after they've been around for so long, not just the Muppets.

I've said it before, but there's difference between character development, and changing a character's personality: with character development, a character grows from the events that it's seen in it's environment, whereas changing a character's personality is just that, it's something that's forced because the mindset that if they don't, they won't appeal to today's audiences.

That said, I know that the Muppets aren't looked upon as "characters" so much, but again, this is a generalization for a lot of franchises that have been around for 30, 40, 50+ years or so.
  17. heralde Well-Known Member

I don't agree and I think this is part of the problem. The Muppets have continually pushed aside their best work, assuming it was "too old" for today's audiences. It's not that today's audiences don't like it or have forgotten it. They barely get a chance to see it! Instead the Muppets try to be hip and trendy, and not matching the quality of their earlier work. Then when no one pays attention, they fall back on "oh well the Muppets are too retro, we have to reinvent again!" And again reinventing doesn't work.

I don't think I've ever seen a franchise that has so irrationally distanced itself so far from its best work and so stubbornly insisted their new plan was working when it isn't! I love the Muppets, but they have no one to blame but themselves for the state that they're in.

You definitely have a good point. Though I'm concerned that the trend is still going to be Reality TV simply because it's cheaper to make.
  18. anytimepally Active Member

I hope not. :scary:
  19. dollywaggler New Member

Victor performed one of the back-up singers. Julianne Buescher performed Piddles. Drew Massey and Alice Dinnean were the other back-up singers.
  20. dwmckim Well-Known Member

Dolly Waggler! Love it! That's got to be my fave name i've seen here for quite some time!