The John Candy Appreciation Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When it comes to great entertainers of Canada, there's only one name that comes to mind.

But of course, before she came along, that name was, without a doubt, John Candy.

From his early days with Canada's finest comedy troupe, Second City, to the wonderful performances he supplied for great comedic movies such as Summer Rental, Uncle Buck, Canadian Bacon, Home Alone, and even Follow That Bird, John Candy, without a doubt was the greatest Canadian comedic actor of his time.

He gave so much energy and liveliness to his performances, that's is so hard to believe that he is no longer with us.

So, come on in, and show your appreciation for John Candy!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I love John Candy! One of my favorite John Candy movies is also I think one of the last ones he made, Cool Runnings. He's not as funny in that movie, but he plays his character so well. My other favorite John Candy movie is Stripes. It's just hilarious.

anytimepally

Reaction score
I love Cool Runnings! And Spaceballs! And Follow That Bird! And Wagons East!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I liked John's work on SCTV. He was a great sketch actor.

He was excellent in a small, dramatic role in Oliver Stone's JFK, as a colleague of the Kevin Costner character. Their scene in a restaurant is a classic. As Costner continues to grill the Candy character about the assassination, Candy (out of paranoia? of knowing something that should be kept secret?) gets continually flustered, until he finally erupts, and leaves the table.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Spaceballs was just great, also Stripes. The character he played was so funny. He died WAY before his comedic genius had a chance to shine and win something. BUT, I think that we all forgot the big movie that he was in with Steve Martin. Yes, I'm talking about PLANES, TRAINS, and AUTOMOBILES!

Daniel

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about PLANES, TRAINS, and AUTOMOBILES!

Daniel
You know, Roger Ebert has a regular column (aside from reviewing current movies) called The Great Movies. He discusses movies from Hollywood's golden age, such as Citizen Kane, Casablanca, 2001...movies that stand the test of time. One of the most surprising movies on the list is actually Planes, Trains and Automobiles! Yep, Ebert liked this movie so much, he devoted a space to it, alongside the work of Kubrick, Chaplin, Keaton, Godard, Spielberg, Coppola, Scorsese and others.

Luke

Reaction score
One of my favorite actors - The Great Outdoors was amazing too.

Teheheman

Reaction score
DUH, how can I forget about The Great Outdoors? That was one of the best movies that Dan Akroyd ever did. The best scene was where he was eating the 70-something oz. steak. The Paul Bunyan, and I think he ate it all, but almost died doing it. Classic scene where he's wobbly and Dan Akroyd is trying to talk him into eating the rest of it.

Daniel

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
John Candy

I've been a huge John Candy fan since childhood.I never knew truly how gifted John Candy's acting talent was,until I watched SCTV's The Best of John Candy,highlighting his best characters from the show.John was an acting genius in my eyes.

Here are most of my favorite John Candy movies:

• Spaceballs
  • Planes,Trains & Automobiles
  • Volunteers
  • Home Alone
  • Splash(one of his more memorable roles for me)
  • Vacation
  • Little Shop of Horrors
  • Brewster's Millions
  • Uncle Buck
  • The Great Outdoors
  • JFK
  • Cool Runnings

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I loved John Candy in Splash. It's one of my favorite movies, especially his speech to Tom Hanks' character about people falling in love.

Cool Runnings and Home Alone were great too!