The King of Comedy

travellingpat

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this film?

it was directed my Martin Scorcese and is starring Jerry Lewis and Robert DeNiro. De Niro plays a obsessive fan of a carson-esque talk show host jerry lawler (lewis)....de niro is a self proclaimed comedian so he kidnaps Jerry in exchange for an appearence on the Jerry Lawler show.......

its a really good, funny movie and i recommend it to anyone

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this film?

it was directed my Martin Scorcese and is starring Jerry Lewis and Robert DeNiro. De Niro plays a obsessive fan of a carson-esque talk show host jerry lawler (lewis)....de niro is a self proclaimed comedian so he kidnaps Jerry in exchange for an appearence on the Jerry Lawler show.......

its a really good, funny movie and i recommend it to anyone
I love this film! I think it's one of Scorsese's best. Sandra Bernhardt is quite good in it also. I love the scene with Rupert (De Niro) in his basement, with an "audience" of cutouts as he imagines himself in his own talk show, complete with laugh track. And we keep hearing his mother yelling down to him to be quiet. This is certainly one of Jerry Lewis' best roles. The scene where he confronts De Niro and his girlfriend in his home is somewhat uncomfortable to watch, as Lewis slowly boils to a rage.

According to Jerry's biographer, during the shooting of this scene, Scorsese took Lewis aside and whispered anti-Semetic words to the actor. Lewis was literally ready to kill Scorsese, just as the director shouted "action!" So Jerry's anger in this scene is totally real.

Interestingly, Scorsese approached Johnny Carson himself to play the talk show host, but Carson feared the role was too close for comfort.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Winslow, I figured youd seen it.....it certainly was a great movie and idk if i could see Carson in it, it would be a far different movie with him i think

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Winslow, I figured youd seen it.....it certainly was a great movie and idk if i could see Carson in it, it would be a far different movie with him i think
Definitely! After Carson, Scorsese went after other talk show hosts/TV personalities, but I can't think of who they were right now...I know Jerry Lewis certainly wasn't the first choice.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Uhh I remember reading Dean Martin and Sinatra...idk if those would have worked....martin maybe but not really sinatra

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Uhh I remember reading Dean Martin and Sinatra...idk if those would have worked....martin maybe but not really sinatra
Yes! I DO remember reading something about Sinatra being approached for the project!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, he was in a comedy, so I was asking if he was funny.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Well Sinatra didnt appear in this film eventully, Jerry Lewis took the role in the end, but ive heard taht Sinatra was indeed very funny