The Magic Treehouse and Mary Brehmer

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I had the opportunity this week to work on the touring production of "The Magic Treehouse, the musical." The Magic Treehouse is a series of children's books written by Mary Pope Osborne, and the new musical production based on her work is now touring the U.S.

I was hired on by a local theatre that booked the show for their space, unloading the show, working as a properties assistant for three runs of the show the following day, and helping to load everything back up and send the company on its way to the next city.

The show features a cast of 30 puppets in a variety of sizes. They range from four large scaled dragons, eight human sized fairy dancers, to a small moving mouth realistic dog puppet. Since I was working as a properties assistant, I had a close up look at them all and how they operated and were constructed. It was very interesting to see some of the inner workings of the larger puppets.

The puppets were designed and created by a puppet designer named Mary Brehmer. I've tried to find information about her online, but I've only come across a small bit on IMDB.com which says that she's worked for Henson for a number of years. I think she may reside in Conneticut, since that is where the show originated from along with most of the cast and crew. Does anyone else out there know more about Ms. Brehmer?

I highly recommend The Magic Treehouse, especially if you have little ones who are fans of the book or who enjoy a good show. The songs are fun and catchy without being annoying, the story is entertaining, and visually there is always something happening to keep everyone interested. Check out their official website, www.mthmusical.com, for more information about the show and where they will be appearing next.

MGov

Reaction score
There's a video at the website of Mary Brehmer talking about the puppets. Click on meet the puppets.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I met Mary very briefly when I was interning the Henson NYC workshop back in 1999. They had just finished filming Muppets From Space...