The Minstrels

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There was a thread that I started a long time ago that I don't think I get a specific answer to. I hope that you have an answer, Terry.

The question was if the Minstrels were always named or if they weren't actually given names untill later on. I know that Cantus was the only one mentioned by name in their first appearance, and Murray was the only other one who spoke in that episode. None of the other ones spoke, and it would have been weird to give them names if they weren't going to be mentioned.

Saironi

Reaction score
What I always wonder is what is the name of species of creatures Balsam and Brool belong to? I'll buy that Murry's assosciated with dust and he's a Dust Spirit. And I thought Brool looked a bit like a goblin, in my opinon.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Effralyo said:
(Right. But why agressive? They can only seem to be, but they're all kind...)

And in my fanfics, I made up a home (and partically a kind) for everyone of the Min-s:
Cantus and Brio both live in Tantaradeyra Village (not so far from Fraggle Rock), where Cantus is a bailiff.
Brool is from Broolagoon. (By the way, to identify him by a kind, I called him "a furrinflate"...)
Murray is a dusty spirit from an old ruined house. He adores dust - judging his appearance.
Balsam...er, Balsam is from a certain spot behind the Fraggle Rock - didn't decide yet where from exactly.
I was under the impression that the Minstrels were nomadic (see FR episode #31 "Mokey and the Minstrels") and that being minstrels was their only job.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Saironi

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone in can agree that Cantus is the most mature adult Fraggle ever.

And think about this. He and his followers have truly taken risks by leaving the Rock, whereas the Council of Sages and the Oldest Fraggle are too scared to go roaming. He possibly challenges their authority simply by appearing and being so popular with the heroes of the series. The last thing they could want would be for younger members of their community to venture out where they can't keep a close watch on them with a group of nomads with only two Fraggles in the entire group.

Effralyo

Reaction score
Certainly he's a fraggle - who doubts?
But (to Saironi) still, Brool seems to be quite a feline goblin, if so :wink:...

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Saironi said:
I'm sure everyone in can agree that Cantus is the most mature adult Fraggle ever.

And think about this. He and his followers have truly taken risks by leaving the Rock, whereas the Council of Sages and the Oldest Fraggle are too scared to go roaming. He possibly challenges their authority simply by appearing and being so popular with the heroes of the series. The last thing they could want would be for younger members of their community to venture out where they can't keep a close watch on them with a group of nomads with only two Fraggles in the entire group.
I wouldn't put it that way, exactly. My reading of it was that being a Minstrel was like being part of a select musical priesthood, and that being a nomad and leaving behind your friends and your home was one of the requirements. I wouldn't think it was a challenge to what little authority exists in Fraggle Rock, rather, that their way of life is part of the expectation carried with them. In other words, the few FR authority figures expect them to be nomadic as part of their tradition.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Saironi

Reaction score
Cantus seems to be the most mature of all his kind (that is, if he's the same kind of Fraggle as the ones we usually see, since he has fur all over). He isn't even afraid of Gorgs.

The only one who seems to make him close to losing his paitence is Red.

Emosewa

Reaction score
Wow.. Brio was a girl. I knew she sounded sort of feminine, but you can never be certain with these things. ^_^ I too thought Brio was a boy, but it is amazing to know otherwise. Sort of like when I realized Balsam had a tail hehe.