The Most Annoying Kids Shows

Drtooth

Reaction score
Spongebob is goofy, idiotic, and pretty juvenile. And loving it. Still, I see why that show is so polarizing. Essentially, it's a less funny version of Rocko's Modern Life (considering the creative forces behind it were former Rocko writers and artists).

But I've notices with stuff like Adventure Time and Regular Show (shows you really have to get into to enjoy, BTW), they're very clever dealing with pretty heavy themes and they have an insane amount of character development that even most adult programming doesn't get into. The Power of Friendship in RS alone (something it took 3 seasons to do) gets very heartwarming. And never sappy, either. But I have to admit, those are shows that either appeal to you or don't. Trust me. I was willing to write both shows off (Adventure Time for the stupid reason that it annoyed me that Jake looked a little like Dogbert) until I gave them a real shot.

Then there's Dan Vs. A show that could easily give any adult series a run for its money. Too bad it was on the wrong venue (a network owned by a Toy company that made shows about their toys... mostly good ones). Seriously more fun than most adult swim shows, and it didn't need any sex or drug jokes.

I mean, we're no longer getting Animaniacs type shows, but... would we really want that? A lame Animaniacs knockoff that isn't as clever or funny that tries to replicate the humor and doesn't fit well? And let's not forget. Those who make the cartoons today were inspired by the very same cartoons we loved as well. They're just not untalented and lazy enough to copy them blindly.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Spongebob is goofy, idiotic, and pretty juvenile. And loving it. Still, I see why that show is so polarizing. Essentially, it's a less funny version of Rocko's Modern Life (considering the creative forces behind it were former Rocko writers and artists).

But I've notices with stuff like Adventure Time and Regular Show (shows you really have to get into to enjoy, BTW), they're very clever dealing with pretty heavy themes and they have an insane amount of character development that even most adult programming doesn't get into. The Power of Friendship in RS alone (something it took 3 seasons to do) gets very heartwarming. And never sappy, either. But I have to admit, those are shows that either appeal to you or don't. Trust me. I was willing to write both shows off (Adventure Time for the stupid reason that it annoyed me that Jake looked a little like Dogbert) until I gave them a real shot.

Then there's Dan Vs. A show that could easily give any adult series a run for its money. Too bad it was on the wrong venue (a network owned by a Toy company that made shows about their toys... mostly good ones). Seriously more fun than most adult swim shows, and it didn't need any sex or drug jokes.

I mean, we're no longer getting Animaniacs type shows, but... would we really want that? A lame Animaniacs knockoff that isn't as clever or funny that tries to replicate the humor and doesn't fit well? And let's not forget. Those who make the cartoons today were inspired by the very same cartoons we loved as well. They're just not untalented and lazy enough to copy them blindly.

I never really noticed Jake's resemblance to Dogbert until you brought it up. :smile:

And you know, making a cartoon with a similar style of humor to Animaniacs wouldn't have to be a knock-off. I think that's a really overused term in fandoms, honestly (it's annoying, because things with similarities to something that's already popular is automatically called a knock-off by really die-hard fans [Family Guy was considered a Simpsons knock-off, anything with three underage superheroes in the early 2000s was called a Powerpuff Girls knock-off, etc.]). Seriously, just because one show exists with a certain element or style of humor doesn't mean it has a monopoly on that aspect.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
they have an insane amount of character development that even most adult programming doesn't get into.
I think Joe Murray once said something along the lines of character development being discouraged in cartoons, I guess maybe to avoid confusing kids when the cartoons are shown in reruns, and characters act or behave differently in certain episodes than others... apparently, Nick even tried to veto Filburt and Dr. Hutchison's wedding because of their stance against character development.

I have noticed that some cartoons, however, do tend to get away with some character development, even though it is pretty rare. ARTHUR and ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS (the 80s series) are pretty good examples of this, such as the case of the former, Binky clearly was a bully in the beginning, no two ways about it, however, he gradually became more and more one of the gang after a couple of seasons, to the point where it's kind of hard to imagine that he once had a bullying streak; as for the latter, The Chipettes were clearly intended to be mirrors of The Chipmunks, though they too eventually developed their own individual personalities that contrasted them from their respective Chipmunk counterparts (even though Eleanor ended up going back and forth and then ended up being Flanderized).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score

It's actually back on air now. In reruns at least, on Saturdays at I wanna say 11:30?
It really is a shame everyone passes over it for ponies. I mean, the show is very intelligently written. I think that's why I like it so much. Although there were a few really stupid duds. Like the DMV. That was one episode I really didn't like

....Saying Dan Vs is a good way to summon me

Drtooth

Reaction score
And you know, making a cartoon with a similar style of humor to Animaniacs wouldn't have to be a knock-off. I think that's a really overused term in fandoms, honestly (it's annoying, because things with similarities to something that's already popular is automatically called a knock-off by really die-hard fans [Family Guy was considered a Simpsons knock-off, anything with three underage superheroes in the early 2000s was called a Powerpuff Girls knock-off, etc.]). Seriously, just because one show exists with a certain element or style of humor doesn't mean it has a monopoly on that aspect.
Well, if anyone remembers the 90's Casper cartoon, it did pretty much borrow Animaniacs style humor and it worked (at least compared to the dreadful classic cartoons). But I agree. But there's a difference between a show with similar humor and a show that tries to be something else.

It's like the old saying about "They don't make movies like that anymore." My answer is, why would they need to? They already made them, they exist. Anything trying to be like them (barring homages, inspirational nods, and the like) wouldn't be as good.

It's actually back on air now. In reruns at least, on Saturdays at I wanna say 11:30?
It really is a shame everyone passes over it for ponies. I mean, the show is very intelligently written. I think that's why I like it so much. Although there were a few really stupid duds. Like the DMV. That was one episode I really didn't like
You can't blame it for being in the wrong venue. Ponies are one thing. I doubt they count the unintended audience of adults in the ratings. At least, that's the reason Invader Zim and Freakazoid among others were cancelled. Dan Vs... you have to ask, what was the intended audience? It really could have been a prime time animated sitcom, but didn't they mix it up with the kid's programming? Not to mention that The Hub isn't exactly a very common channel unless you get a bigger cable package. Seems like this show could do with an internet only revival, ala Arrested Development.

Then again, they also screwed the heck out of their G.I. Joe Renegades cartoon because it wasn't the movie. And the retailers were only interested in the movies.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You can't blame it for being in the wrong venue. Ponies are one thing. I doubt they count the unintended audience of adults in the ratings. At least, that's the reason Invader Zim and Freakazoid among others were cancelled. Dan Vs... you have to ask, what was the intended audience? It really could have been a prime time animated sitcom, but didn't they mix it up with the kid's programming? Not to mention that The Hub isn't exactly a very common channel unless you get a bigger cable package. Seems like this show could do with an internet only revival, ala Arrested Development.

Then again, they also screwed the heck out of their G.I. Joe Renegades cartoon because it wasn't the movie. And the retailers were only interested in the movies.
I actually think it used to be in a prime time slot, but then they kept moving the air time around to some weird 2:30 slot on the weekends for a while. The entire fandom pretty much agrees that the Hub was more or less the wrong network to have it on.
But you do have a point about its intended audience. It's not quite simpsons level of adult humor, but its also definitely not in the same audience as MLP or Transformers. Maybe just a general Teenager demographic? Heh...even I can't answer that.

While everyone says it would have done better on Adult Swim or Fox (even I said it at one time), you kinda have to question that as well. Just basing the show on its current content, it's too tame for adult swim, but it doesn't really fit in with the shows on fox. If it was moved to Adult Swim...I actually kinda fear what would happen to it. Would they attempt to make it too edgy to fit in with the other shows?

But then again King of the Hill is on Adult Swim (or at least it was?), and that doesn't really fit in with the rest of Adult Swim...Maybe Comedy Central? Or MTV? Eh...I probably would never have given it the time of day if it was on another network.

As far as internet revivals go...it's kinda sorta happening on tumblr? The community there is very adamant on trying to get the show the recognition it deserves. They hold live streams sometimes and there was a celebration of the three year anniversary.

One thing I must say about staff of the show though, they WILL respond to peoples emails and answer questions concerning the show. I know a few times people have contacted Dan and have gotten responses.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually think it used to be in a prime time slot, but then they kept moving the air time around to some weird 2:30 slot on the weekends for a while. The entire fandom pretty much agrees that the Hub was more or less the wrong network to have it on.
But you do have a point about its intended audience. It's not quite simpsons level of adult humor, but its also definitely not in the same audience as MLP or Transformers. Maybe just a general Teenager demographic? Heh...even I can't answer that.

That and... well.. the network is owned by a toy company, and those other shows were to promote toy lines. In fact, MLP almost was going to be another thing completely, but Hasbro wanted one of their original toy lines instead of taking a risk with a newer one.

Dan does deserve something, though... a t-shirt and a vynal figure of some kind at least.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I've only watched promos of Sam and Cat on Nick and I abosolutely cannot stand Ariana Grande's voice! It's so annoying when she talks. How'd she even get past the audition? Like most of us, I can't stand any of the live action shows on Nick and Disney Channel, none of those shows are funny!

scooterfan360

Reaction score
  1. this thing called uncle grandpa
  2. spongbob
  3. sanjay and craig
  4. dora the explorer
  5. hanna montanna
  6. jessie
  7. the suite life
  8. true jackson
  9. i carly
  10. the wizzards of waverly place
  11. shake it up
  12. big time rush
  13. victorious
  14. fanboy and chumchum
  15. zoey 101
  16. degrassi because one i grew up watching the first generation of degrassi high schoolers like spike , snake , shane , joey ect... and two the kids on the new generation don"t look like the real kids that you see in reality but the kids on the first generation degrassi did even the bullies on the first degrassi looked realistic
  17. i have more but too many too list so in the words of animal i would like to say bye bye