The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

petula

Reaction score
The most recent sad moment for me was stumbling onto this site, discovering so many kindred spirits, and then not being able to post because registration was turned off! But I still had my fun crying and laughing through this thread...and I'm here now! *evil laugh*

(Whoever mentioned "It's You," I related to that! The beginning of that story also gets me, when Rizzo is asking for volunteers for his elixer presentation and the pig wants SO badly to help, then he doesn't get to. He just keeps watching, looking so sad and confused.)

dcfboss

Reaction score
I cry at the end of the Muppet Show. It's so painful to watch, that when it's finally over, I'm so relieved I just ball my eyes out.

hahahahahahahaha

janicegroupie

Reaction score
When I saw this subject I had to register because there are many Muppet moments that makes me cry. I'm happy to have this as my first post. So here are some of the moments that always make me cry. Everyone Matters when Gonzo is singing. He is so sad it makes me cry. Rainbow Connections always makes me cry for some reason. Ray Charles singing Bein' Green on the Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson while showing all the pictures of Jim Henson. The song Dreaming of Someone from Fraggle Rock always makes me cry too just thinking of how bad Red is feeling while singing it.

Andy

Reaction score
Hi, just signed up. What a wonderful thread, and a fitting tribute! Here we go with my heartbreakers:

Mr. Hooper's death. I had long since outgrown SS when it happened, and did not actually see the scene played out until the TVLand Special (which I stupidly taped over-AAAAARGGGGGH!!!), and boy, did it hit me!

Gonzo's "My Way" on TMS. Kermit comes out to comfort our favorite weirdo, and as they go off to share a quiet moment, Kermit just looks at the camera and says, "We're just going to take a break, here." Music and fadeout.

Jim's death. Boy I remember that day. Spring semester at College was just over. I had stayed up to watch the Bruins play a shamefully bad hockey game. Little did I know what would be on the news the next morning, as I was waiting for my sister to go to the mall. Here's something interesting, though. In my neck of the woods, more attention was given to Sammy Davis Jr. on the local stations. I'm not angry, just found it interesting that they couldn't give equal time to two great entertainers.

And, of course...the letters in the tribute special. That's one special they SHOULD make available.

thimblebeetle

Reaction score
i'd have to say MTM's song saying goodbye........still brings a lump to the throat if i think about it.....and it gets everyone crying if you sing it at a farewell party or something.....so much to say, foolish to try, it's time for saying good-bye...sniff, sniff

thimblebeetle

Reaction score
OH, OH and kermit when he sang it's not easy being green....it's not a sad song but i really connected to what he was singing and it made me almost cry when i heard it....

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
I'm okay with Tiny Tim's death never bothered me. Y'know, it
happened in the book. But when Tim's played by Robin......:cry:

-:zany:

redmans

Reaction score
Man, I should have gotten in on this thread sooner. Just reading what you guys are saying is giving me a lump in my throat....

I've watched "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson" exactly once, shortly after it came on the first time. It affected me so deeply that I can't bring myself to watch it again.

Gonzo singing "My Way" on the Muppet Show, him breaking down and Kermit coming out to comfort him: for that brief moment I totally forgot these were puppets, teared up a bit, and thought, "They shouldn't be embarrassing them (Kermit and Gonzo) by showing this. Turn the camera off!"

And "Saying Goodbye" in MTM will always have a strong effect on me. Mainly because it came out the summer that I was graduating from college, and I knew that the friends that I sat with during the movie (one of whom even brought his Animal puppet to the movie with him) I would probably lose contact with and never see again. And unfortunately I was right....

Kermielovah

Reaction score
A small one but when Kenny Rogers does The Gambler on The Muppet Show and the gambler dies on the train and his spirit floats out of his body and continues to sing. Even as a kid it made me think.:concern:

Patty

Reaction score
As a kid, there were three Muppety things that made me cry:

1.) The Sesame Street Christmas special where Ernie sold his duckie to buy Bert a Christmas present (and vice vera). Mr. Hooper saved the day.

2.) "Saying Goodbye."

3.) "The Gambler" ... yeah, I remember crying like a baby. It's such a well done segment.

As an adult, tons of Muppet things make me cry ... just because Jim Henson is gone.

"Muppet Movie" makes me bawl like a banshee. "The Muppet Family Christmas" thing kills me at the end. Almost any interview with Jim Henson leaves me misty.

The Disney special where the Muppets learned who Jim Henson was ... a complete sob-fest from beginning to end.

I gave a copy of the John Denver Christmas special to my mom, and Scooter's rendition of "Christmas Peace" inspired weeping.