The Muppet Hierarchy

Gonzo

Reaction score
Jamie's post just made me want to start a new thread, because I'm wondering what y'all think about this: who would you consider to be the main/most important Muppets, and in what order? Include no more than ten, and do it in descending order from Greatest to Least Important. Here's my list:

Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Rowlf
Animal
Scooter

If my list were to continue on to secondary characters (some of whom I love a lot more than some listed above....SCOOTER....), it would of course include Janice, Sam, Dr Teeth, Bunsen, Beaker, Statler, Waldorf, Lew Zealand, Beauregard...basically everyone Palisades Toys wants to make. EXCEPT Lips.

I wonder if the above list was influenced by "Muppet Babies"? For instance, Animal. Really, he's a secondary character, and always has been--traditionally Janice has had a larger role, because she's not only a band member, but also on Vet's Hospital... but because the Muppet Babies were the Big Seven (plus Skeeter and occasionally Bunsen/Beaker), that's who I traditionally include. Hmmmmm.

Any other lists/thoughts?

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Gonzo wrote:

I wonder if the above list was influenced by "Muppet Babies"? For instance, Animal. Really, he's a secondary character, and always has been
Interesting... personally, I've always thought that it was Animals popularity that elevated him to a more prominent position. Animal was hugely popular before Muppet Babies. Janice had more regular roles, but I wonder if she was actually on screen in TMS more? Maybe someone with a pension for trivia will do a break down of each episode listing which Muppets are in all the scenes and tally who has the most actual screen time (or maybe someone has already done this?).

I think the main Muppets have changed. During TMS era I would definitely include Scooter. Today, I would put Pepe and Rizzo ahead of Scooter and (much as it pains me) ahead of Rowlf.

In terms of the TMS era, I agree with your list, Quinn, but I would add Statler and Waldorf to the end.

Today, I think I would go with this:

Kermit
Piggy
Gonzo
Rizzo
Pepe
Animal
Fozzie
Beaker
Statler & Waldorf

Some problems with my list-- I think Pepe will move ahead of Rizzo, but currently Rizzo has had more big roles, so I put him ahead of Pepe. I'm not sure about Statler and Waldorf. I suspect Johnny F and his dirty little monkey could make it into the top ten. After the Christmas movie, this could probably be revised and I'm sure once the new series airs there will be obvious changes needed.

Joggy

Reaction score
Due to merchandize, I think the Swedish Chef belongs in this as well. So for me, that would make it:

(nowadays)
Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Animal
Rizzo
Pepe
Statler & Waldorf
Swedish Chef

(old days)
Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Rowlf
Animal
Scooter
Statler & Waldorf
Swedish Chef

Salmoto

Reaction score
Actually, I think due to the last 3 movies, Gonzo should be pushed up quite a bit:

Kermit
Piggy
Gonzo
Fozzie
Animal
Rizzo
Pepe
Statler & Waldorf
Swedish Chef

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
HIYA!!

Here's my picks:

FOZZIE!!

Just kiddin...*ahem*...

Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Animal
Pepe
Rizzo
StatnWaldorf
Beaker
Bunsen
Swedish Chef
Clifford

(Just kiddin about the "Clifford" thing there, heh heh; although I find him to be cool).
FOZ

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it goes
Kermie
Piggy
Gonzo
Pepe
Fozzie
Rizzo
Animal
Statler and Waldorf
Bunsen and Beaker
Clifford
BoBO the Bear
The rest of the electric mayheim
Scooter
Rowlf
Sweedish Chef
uhhhh.... a bunch of really wierd ones
really long list of all Muppets Tonight and Muppet show characters not listed
Link Hogtrob
Dr. Strangepork
Anything Muppets!

BorkBork

Reaction score
Here's my most important muppets of the muppetshow:

Kermit (of cource, being the MC and all)
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Rowlf
Statler & Waldorf (count as one)
Scooter
Animal
Chef
Zoot

These charachters are the main charachters, in my point of viewTherefore the most important ones. Of course, i would like to go on with the list, and also put several muppets on the same spots. But since this was a 10 only limit....

It's hard to put the muppets in an order of wich one is the favourite one. They are all favourites of mine. Kermit is not in number one favourite with me, but i agree that he is THE main charachter, and most important for the muppet show. This doesn't mean that i don't like Kermit, i love kermit, so don't take me wrong :big_grin:

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
My list

Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Beaker & Bensen
Bean Bunny
Scooter and his twin sister ( Just kidding!, I know how everybody love Muppet Babies here.)
Swedish Chef
Animal

pezbalubah

Reaction score
I think the main characters should always be:
Kermit
Miss Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Animal
Rowlf
Scooter

then maybe:
Rizzo
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
Beaker

Many of the attempts at making new characters a part of the main group don't really stick. Skeeter never made it into anything besides Muppet Babies, Bean Bunny although still liked has faded from the main group, Waldo seems to have been erased, Clifford is now a background character with a few lines to say here and there (and attended Muppetfest for a much shorter time than Elmo!). I'd like to see Bill Barretta do Rowlf more and sorry that means less Pepe but I'm willing to sacrifice less of him for Rowlf.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Old days:

Kermit
Piggy
Fozzie
Gonzo
Rowlf
Scooter
Statler & Waldorf
Floyd
Animal
Swedish Chef
Bunsen & Beaker
Sam the Eagle
Janice
Dr. Teeth
Beauregard

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole (wondering why I didn't stop after Scooter)