1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

The Muppet Movie: Crummy 18 minute Super 8 version

Discussion in 'On the Web' started by Drtooth, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

2. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I read that article last night. Well it's kinda interesting from a history of media standpoint!

3. Drtooth

Lemme tell yah... this is pretty much the analogy I was looking for to describe watching Letters to Santa.

The film makes little sense at all, especially with the entire Doc Hopper plot completely gone. I especially like the whole Electric Mayhem scene being them introducing the band and then randomly changing the car... only to even more randomly buy a new one a second later.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

That was awful.

LittleJerry92 and Drtooth like this.
  5. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would even qualify as a highlights reel... now if they were to trim down say the Hobbit movie this way....

LittleJerry92 and CensoredAlso like this.
  6. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

There is really no plot to this at all. They also cut out Sweetums story line, which I loved in the movie.

7. Drtooth

I feel sorry for anyone who bought the Super 8 and didn't actually see the movie before hand. Then again, I just want to know how many people actually bought Super 8 home movie versions of big movies. Something tells me, I feel sorry for like 2 people.

Even the Viewmaster reels kept the plot of the movie in there.

But anyone else notice how jarring the sequences where they removed the music track or worked from an early film print before music was added? Especially the sequence in "the Magic Store" where Beaker screws up Piggy's makeup and Kermit says "You're Beautiful."

8. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

This was posted a long time ago. I guess Toughpigs decided to bring it up again because of a slow news day.

It's pretty cool in a sense. Super 8's can't fit longer than 18mins worth of footage (I have no idea why anyone would even buy a Super 8 movie) so they had to chop it down pretty good.
    The whole Doc Hopper story is completely missing, and the scenes have no connections. Other than that, there's a bunch of alternate scenes/shots included.
    It's a cool piece of Muppet history.

9. dwayne1115

the one I noticed the most was Rowlf and Kermit's song. It was almost a whole different song with the same title.

10. Drtooth

Too bad Disney didn't track down a copy... some of those alternate takes would have been something if they used them as bonus features on the Blu-Ray.

Makes you wonder what other films they cut down to 18 minutes. Still, I think they could have cut out some of the scenes they used and put some of the Doc Hopper storyline in there. As awesome as Gonzo flying around on balloons and celebrity cameos go, some of that stuff could have been replaced by the... well... PLOT. The Mel brooks segment makes absolutely no sense out of context.

Heck, the fact that Piggy didn't leave the Restaurant and Kermit was moping about with Rowlf for her not leaving comes out of no where.

11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Doc Hopper does show up in the Super 8 version, during the balloons sequence.

Last night I read that Disney released Super 8 versions of its films, but they were single scenes from the movies, instead of including a little bit of various scenes from start-to-finish. So was it common for Super 8 releases to be both types of edits (a longer "highlight reel" and a mere clip)?

That format might have been better for The Muppet Movie on Super 8. Like "Kermit and Fozzie Meet The Electric Mayhem", "Gonzo on Balloons", "Kermit at the El Sleezo", etc.

12. Drtooth

Oh, he's there, and so isn't his billboard. But his plot has been removed from the movie. Shooting down Gonzo's balloons after getting hit with a pie is as far as his story goes, successfully removing any dramatic tension in the film.

Even when they're stranded in the desert, the tension is lost there because they're on a bus to Hollywood like a second later.

13. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I was the one that posted the Super 8 print to YT some months:
    http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/how-rare-is-a-super-8-version-of-tmm.43526/

I was actually rather surprised that ToughPigs expressed so much interest in it. It's bad, that goes without saying. It makes little to no sense, that also goes without saying. But hearing some of the alternate audio takes (for instance, unlike the movie, here there's no music playing in the bicycle scene) is kind of neat.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  14. dwayne1115

Well it clearly is a Muppet movie there where hardly any humans in it at all.

I did try looking up releases of other titles on Super 8, and from what I could find it was mostly for the silent short, that where done back in the 30's and 40's. Now that may not be entirely correct, but that is all the info I cold find. If that is the case, then my only question would be. Why on earth would they put the Muppet Movie on super 8?

15. Drtooth

The Muppets weren't the only ones to be completely edited down to incomprehensible for Super 8....

It isn't quite as terrible plotwise, but the editing is atrocious! It comes off like a Youtube Poop at points.

16. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Have these ever caught on with anyone? I wonder if James Rolfe has any of these, seeing as he collects movies in various formats?

17. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I've re-uploaded the Super 8 cutdown for those who still want to see it.

Also an NTSC version of the theatrical trailer.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  18. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

You're the best @Mo Frackle! Thanks for uploading.

19. Drtooth

Off topic, but I'm checking out the Flintstones one I posted again.

Highlights include:

Mr. Gruesome correcting no one saying "His name isn't Soapstone, it's FLINTstone."

Fred saying, "Must be[edit]WEEEEEEYOOOOOOOWWW!!!"

Wilma commenting on a strange looking chair that's never seen

Barney assuring Fred that deep down, he's a good guy for no apparent reason after Fred starts yelling at everyone for eating all the sandwiches that somehow were there.

And a huge array of characters getting cut off in mid-sen.....

...be awkwardly placed at the end of them.

And these were professionally done for sale.

I wonder how many other abominations in editing were available.

20. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Well-Known Member

If I'm right, I believe they used the same silent subtitled version edit for the sound version as well, which is incredibly lazy...