The Muppet Movie - Director's Cut (Almost)

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Just thought I should tell you guys about the old 80's UK release of The Muppet Movie on video. Not sure if everyone knows about it already but it has extra footage that hasn't appeared in any later release (as far as I am aware). Fozzie's stand-up is extended slightly, Dr. Teeth reads more from the screenplay and Piggy sings the alternative UK version of "Never Before, Never Again".

The video was released by Jim Henson/Palace in the mid 80's (catalogue number: HPV 001) and anyone who loves the movie should try and get a copy. If anyone has information of a similar US release, could they let me know? Thanks! :halo:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Actually the UK release before that was the first uncut Im sure. Its in a yellow case.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Do you know specifics? Would be intrigued to figure out whether my copy is the extended edition or not...

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
The UK release in the yellow case (it was in a large music cassette type case) was the shorter version. I'll try and post the photos of the covers soon. The longer version also had an extended bit from Doc Hopper's TV commercial.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Okay, bearing in mind that videos and DVDs in the UK run at a faster speed than in the US (not sure why but it's true) the classic version of The Muppet Movie (the one released several times throughout the 90's) runs at 95mins. The original 1980 release (see first picture link) runs ay 94mins and the mid-80's release (second picture link) runs at 98mins. I have just noticed that the new UK DVD release from Disney runs at 91mins. Now there's a surprise!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/m1stersuper5tar/MM_vid1980.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/m1stersuper5tar/MM_vid.jpg

Beau, are there any specific things you want to know about the "extended" version?

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
The 98min one is really worth getting hold of. It also has a different closing credits soundtrack where you can actually hear what the Muppet audience are saying. For some reason, the opening few notes of "Movin' Right Along" are played over the top of Fozzie saying "A frog and a bear seeing America". The classic version leaves a gap.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I wish I could but I don't have anyway of copying from a VHS tape to my computer.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Wow, that second cover is beautiful. Diggin' that Director Kermit pic in the bottom left corner.

You guys are so lucky!
:smile:
Anthony