The Muppet Show with Monty Python (outline)

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Yes I know they already had John Cleese on the show, but I thought it would be cool if they actually got all the Pythons.

BBC logo

John (voice-over): Good evening. Here are some choices for tonight’s line-up. On BBC 1, we discuss the “It” in “Why, What, Where and Why?”. On BBC 2, “Inside Scoop” explores if snails can really travel around the world in 90 days. Now, here on your TV screen, we present you something much more different than the typical nonsense you see everyday...

INTRO
Out in the hills, Kermit is seen running his way up to the screen, almost exhausted. Once he makes it, he announces, “It’s The Muppet Show...with Monty Python!”

Animated opening by Terry Gilliam with all the Muppet characters singing the Muppet Show theme (this has all characters from the usual openings).

In one scene, paper cut-outs of Statler and Waldorf are shown mumbling some things until they get taken away by a giant hand.

Ends with Gonzo being crushed by the giant foot before he can play the trumpet.

CURTAIN

John is seen on stage instead of Kermit, who wears the collar and a hat with “Frog” eyes on it (he also imitates the voice). Fozzie comes out to look for Kermit, but sees John in his place instead. He asks, “Okay, who are you? And what did you do to our boss?” Kermit shows up to tell Fozzie that he and the other Muppets will be taking a break from performing, and he lets the Pythons stand in for them. Graham Chapman comes out dressed as a whiny Miss Piggy, with some laughs from the audience.

Waldorf: Huh. Would you believe that? A man in pig’s clothing

Statler: That’s something you don’t normally see

(Short pause with no laugh track)

Knight comes in whacks them both with a rubber chicken. NOW there’s laugh track.

Musical number: Michael Palin and Terry Jones are seen as Wayne and Wanda. They sing, “If I Were a Rich Man” until a safe drops out of nowhere and lands on Michael.

BACKSTAGE

Graham gives Gonzo a “nose exam” while wearing a big fake nose and false tusks. He thinks Gonzo isn’t feeling well, so he puts on a trunk, pair of tusks and big floppy ears on him. Now he looks like an elephant.

Graham: Ah, there. Now you look fit and healthy

Gonzo: Now I look ridiculous...(mood changes) but I like it!

*The Swedish Chef-played by Terry Jones. In this segment, he tries to make spam, eggs, sausage and spam, but just can’t work out how. Or at least, he tries...

*Backstage: Link tells everyone his other passion in life next to working at the theater: wood chopping, and remininces about the days he always dreamt of being a lumberjack, and sings about it (with Gonzo, Luncheon Counter Monster, Jim Henson Muppet, and some whatnots as the Mounties). Just before he can get to the last verse, Michael comes in asking if he can use the phone, which is on Kermit’s desk. He “uses” it as a hammer.

*PIGS IN SPACE, with John as Link, Graham as Piggy and Terry (G) as Dr. Strangepork. The theme of this segment is “adapt, adopt and improve”, in that, they improvise what to do when a robber holds the ship hostage. They all end up singing “Anything Goes”

Graham and Terry are seen in Statler and Waldorf’s box (and they dress like them as well)

Graham: You see, this is the kind of unnecessary idiotic nonsense I was talking about. It’s low in quality, lacking culture, and unsuitable for most viewers...

Terry: Can’t imagine how they’ve gotten the nerve to put it on...

Statler and Waldorf come back with brooms and chase the other two away yelling “Get out!” “Scat!” and so on.

*UK skit: Eric, Terry and Michael do their take on “Mah Nah Mah Nah”

*Muppet Sports, hosted by Eric with John, Terry (J) and Michael as the judges. Today’s sport: BOAR TAMING!

(Eric and the others have Muppet features-noses, mustaches, etc. on their faces and wearing felt gloves like Muppet hands in this sketch)

*Kermit (John) introduces Gonzo (Eric), who will do a death-defying stunt...

*On stage, “Gonzo” is ready to perform a stunt involving a fire hoop, bucket of sea monkeys and a cage with dangerous llamas. All things fail, and the llamas run amok trying to attack everyone. The Muppets rush in ad they try to help them ward them off. Gonzo saves the day by teaming with three whatnots forming a Mexican singing group, thus scaring the llamas away.

*Finale/Closing Number:

The Pythons/Muppets say goodbye.

Pythons are seen as the orchestra members.

Statler: That was good!

Waldorf: We loved it!

(Knight comes in again...this time with a much more destructive weapon)

Both: (changing their minds) WE HATED IT! WE HATED IT!

Zoot (Terry Gilliam)’s saxophone makes a fart noise.