Disney Home
Disney Publishing
Buena Vista Games
The Baby Einstein Company
The Muppets Holding Company
Disney Shopping, Inc.
DisneyShopping.com
The Disney Store

Looking at that list reminds me of that Sesame Street song; "One of these things is not like the other." The one that is not like the others is The Muppet Holding Company. They don't belong under 'Consumer Products'.

They belong in a different branch of Disney that is active in developing programming.

Disney's Bob Iger has stuck our beloved Muppets under 'Consumer Products', he sees the Muppets as merchandising, so don't expect anything as far as a TV series or movies being developed.

Not as long as the Muppet Holding Company is under the wing of 'Disney Consumer Products.'

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are seeing a long dry spell of what is to come from the Muppet Holding Company. The best they can do is having Kermit appear in other people's shows. Which has been the pattern now for sometime.

Remember the beautiful days when humans came into the Muppets world? The Muppet world appears to be gone and what we see now is Muppets going into the human's world.

I don't blame those running the Muppet Holding Company; it seems there hands are tied by Disney Consumer Products.

The Muppet Holding Company needs two things:
1- to be run by a different department of Disney, (not Disney Consumer Products.)

2- they need someone who has the knowledge to market TV shows and movies.
Who in showbiz has that knowledge? They need a superb Talent Agent to run the company.
They know how to get and land the jobs.
Such as Jim Henson's former manager and friend, the agent Bernie Brillstein.

Perhaps Bernie should be running the show. I would like to see him given the chance at taking the helm.

Debbie McClellan is a VIP in the business office and Martin Baker is a producer. Mr. Baker's job as a producer is to manage the product that someone else creates.

The Muppets need a super agent running the company that can create and seek out the work.

Just yesterday I read in financial news that; "Last year (Disney), generated nearly $2.5 billion in free cash flow on a gargantuan $31.9 billion in revenue."

And none trickles down to the Muppets development.

Just my opinion.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
It's Been Stated Numerous Times

It's A Shame But What Can You Do

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
To be correct, MHC has been under Disney Consumer Products since the beginning. That wasn't Bob Iger's doing.

In what would turn out to be Eisner's final months, the DCP-run Muppets (led by Chris Curtin), announced a slew of new projects in all areas--movies, TV, etc. But when power shifted from Eisner to Iger, he fired a bunch of people (Curtin included) and every major project was put on hold, as far as we know anyway.

So IMO, the problem is not being under DCP, 'cause under Eisner it really didn't matter for things were in full swing. The problem is that the higher-ups, at the moment, don't seem to know what they want to do with the Muppets and Iger apparently does not see them as a huge priority. Sad really.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
To be correct, MHC has been under Disney Consumer Products since the beginning. That wasn't Bob Iger's doing.
Good point BoyRaisin2, thanks for that correction.

BoyRaisin2 said:
In what would turn out to be Eisner's final months, the DCP-run Muppets (led by Chris Curtin), announced a slew of new projects in all areas--movies, TV, etc. But when power shifted from Eisner to Iger, he fired a bunch of people (Curtin included) and every major project was put on hold, as far as we know anyway.

So IMO, the problem is not being under DCP, 'cause under Eisner it really didn't matter for things were in full swing. The problem is that the higher-ups, at the moment, don't seem to know what they want to do with the Muppets and Iger apparently does not see them as a huge priority. Sad really.
At least Chris Curtin tried and we were all so hopeful. Down the line once they release the final 5th season of the Muppet show, since apparently there isn't new stuff for them to bring to market, what will Disney do then with the Muppets? It's a scary thought.

You would think that the Disney executives would be so eager to create a show seeing the crowds at Muppetvision 3-D.

P

Philip Kippel

Things can ALWAYS turn around and change for the better.

I bet that the Muppets will become a priority to Disney's current management team once they complete their other priorities, such as the Pixar acquisition.

As other members have stated at this forum...as long as we refrain from getting pessimistic and as long as we continue to support the Muppets and believe in them, things will eventually get better as time marches on.

Tim

Reaction score
I've said it before...

Jim's dead, and the great days are over. Just as Disney Feature Animation can never recreate the true glory days of Walt's time, the Muppets are destined to become a licensing company that just happens to use the characters inthe occasional film or tv product-in order to license more merchandise. Jim's Muppets came from the creative heart. Disney's Muppets are coming from the corporate wallet. The thought is no longer "What wonderous worlds can we create?", rather "How else can we sell these to justify the purchace of the company, shore up the bottom line and please the stockholders?". That's why they are being handeled by the merchandise divison and not entertainment. Eisner said it on Larry King himself: "There are three truly great characters in the world: Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh and Kermit the Frog.: How many kids know these characters from anything other than plush you sleep with, or videos you buy?

Don't expect things to change anytime soon. Henson's kids have bungled it for years, and Disney is simply trying to recoup their losses.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Philip Kippel said:
I bet that the Muppets will become a priority to Disney's current management team once they complete their other priorities, such as the Pixar acquisition.
Well they better get on it 'cause according to Disney's web site, they completed the Pixar acquisition yesterday.

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
Amicus said:
Hey man, when are we gonna get some real performers for Kermit and Piggy; I can't tell ya how tired I am of Steve's Kermit and this amateur dry Piggy! I can't believe that two huge international icons are being performed this weak! With all Disney's money and "creativity" they can't find some better performers to represent these characters?? Come on guys, lets get something that is a lil more Jim and Frank and not sound like impersonation improv night at the local bar up the road.:wink:
What do you mean by that? I think that there great!

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
I understand what Amicus is saying.
Amicus (and others) wants to see Jim's version of Kermit again.
And others fans are content with Steve's version.

It's an ongoing fan debate.