1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Muppets Bechdel Test (re. Female roles)

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Beauregard, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

There's some debate at the moment enough whether or not The Muppets passes the Bechdel test which states that to pass the test a movie must:

1. Have at least two (named) women in it
    2. Who talk to each other
    3. About something besides a man
    Some are saying that it passes only test 1, by having Amy, Miss Piggy, Janice, Camilla and Wanda.

But others are saying it passes 1 and 2, by having Miss Piggy talk to Miss Poogy (assuming Poogy is female)

There is some debate whether Piggy and Poogy's fight/talk is technically about a man, though, since she mostly came back for Kermit (although she claims to have come back for the others.)

http://bechdeltest.com/view/2889/the_muppets

So, what do you think? And, do the other Muppet Movies pass this test?
  2. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Hmm...here's my breakdown of each Muppet movie, and what I think:

The Muppet Movie
    1. There are more than two
    2. I don't think any of Miss Piggy, Janice, Camilla, etc. talked to each other during the movie actually...

The Great Muppet Caper
    2. Lady Holliday and Miss Piggy converse
    3. It isn't about a man at all, so I guess GMC passes

The Muppets Take Manhattan
    2. Jenny and Miss Piggy converse
    3. It is about the show, not a man, so I guess TMTM also passes

The Muppet Christmas Carol
    2. Betina, Belinda, and Miss Piggy, do talk to each other, but it isn't a real conversation, so does that count?
    3. If it does count, it wasn't about a man

Muppet Treasure Island
    2. Considering that Miss Piggy was the only real main female character, I don't think that two females conversed

Muppets From Space
    2. Miss Piggy talks with the reporter briefly, so if that counts, then two do converse
    3. If it does count, it wasn't about a man

The Muppets' Wizard of Oz
    2. Dorothy talks to Miss Piggy as a witch
    3. It wasn't about a man, so I guess MWOO passes

The Muppets
    2. Miss Piggy talks to Miss Poogy, who I think is a female
    3. It was technically about a man, so really, I don't think that this one counts.
  3. Beauregard

Thanks! I knew someone with a greater knowledge would compile a good list! I'm pretty sure that Muppets From Space does count, since it was a discussion about a job and the reporter is named...although I forget what. Shelly?

In Very Merry Muppet Christmas, Miss Piggy kinda talks to Miss Bitterman when they have their fight, and it isn't man related. But does that count as a conversation?
  4. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Fraggle Rock passes with flying colors, as Red and Mokey talk all the time, and is it ever about men?

I love to hear references to this litmus test. I've been a fan of D2Wo4 ever since the early strips, and I have a set of the books.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

How come Fraggle Rock is so much better at organic female roles (ones played by females no less) than all the other Muppet stuff put together? And does The Muppet Show really need that? Those are the questions to think about.
  6. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Shelly Snipes. I couldn't remember the name.

I would say IAVMMCM would count, as it is a pretty full out fleshed argument, so I would classify that as a conversation.
  7. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I can't believe there's any doubt that Miss Poogy is female. Though I recall before the movie came out some fans seemed to speculate that Miss Poogy was a man in drag, and I think Matt Vogel hinted at that in a pre-The Muppets interview, but the movie doesn't seem to show any such indication that she's a man.

After all, when Miss Poogy is first shown as Miss Piggy's replacement, Fozzie says "She's sort of like Miss Piggy". He knew her better than the rest, so he would know her gender (though I feel that line should have gone to one of the others, someone who hadn't met her).
  8. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I always kind of laugh in MTM when Piggy lightly admonishes Janice after her latest naked story joke. Not because of the naked joke but because I always think, "Wow, I wasn't sure Piggy even knew Janice!" Lol

Not that I think they should have necessarily had more scenes together. Some characters don't have chemistry and it wouldn't work. Saying that two female characters have to talk to each other is one of those broad stroke quota things rather than actual quality writing.
  9. Beauregard

I guess you didn't see that very rare, very occasional sketch they sometimes did from time to time on the Muppet Show, commonly known as Vet's Hospital?
    heralde and Hubert like this.
  10. heralde

Lol, oh I know I was thinking more in the movieverse. Besides to me Vet's Hospital is more like a sketch than character interaction if that makes sense.
  11. Beauregard

Haha. I was joking also, but you know what, I don't think I've ever seen Miss Piggy more relaxed on having more genuine FUN than when she was interacting with Rowlf and Janice in those sketches. She's like a giddy kid, just laughing about the place.

Its a shame that for the rest of her acting career she's stuck with boys, around whom she seems to have to act differently.
  12. heralde

Yeah Piggy always seem to let loose with the silly in Vet's Hospital. She's always wanting to be a glamor girl but I think she really missed her true calling as a comedian, lol.
  13. Beauregard

Agreed! She also let loose the silly when she was with Joan, so...does that tell you something?
  14. heralde

Are you talking about IAVMMC?
  15. Beauregard

No, no, I mean Rivers. In MTM with the "Powderapuff'a'you!"
    heralde likes this.
  16. heralde

Ohhh right, duh I'm sorry I'm slow today, lol. And ashamed because that's my favorite of the movies, lol.

"Pigs don't have eyebrows!"

"Well this pig is going to!"
  17. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

In the drag community, it's considered proper to refer to someone's drag persona as the gender they're assuming rather than their physical gender. Thus, RuPaul and Divine would be 'she', not 'he'.

Just sayin'.
    Beauregard likes this.
  18. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Or maybe even Fozzie had no idea...