The Muppets head for Oz

What do you think of the Muppet Wizard of Oz script?

• I like that it will be based on the book

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • I wish it was based on the movie

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • I wish they would do something original

Votes: 54 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xerus

Reaction score
I've heard that another difference about the Oz book and the movie is when the four of them went to see the Wizard, they only got to see him one at a time. And when they each saw the Wizard, he took on a different form. When Dorothy saw him, he was a huge scary head like in the movie. When the Scarecrow saw him, he was a beautiful fairy girl. The Tin Man saw him as a huge growling beast, and the lion saw him as a big ball of fire. And when they defeated the witch and they all went to see him. He turned out to be invisible. But Toto managed to drag him out of his hiding place. And the Wizard ended up showing them how he operated those four monsters by machinery. I think it would be neat if the Muppet Wizard of Oz featured all that.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Well done on your Oz research! You're right, it would be very neat to have the different forms of the Wizard shown to each of the main characters, like in the book. The Henson company could do a lot with it, and it would certainly help seperate this production from the 1939 film, as well as every other interpretation done thus far.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There were a TON of differences between the book and the movie. If you haven't read the book, I suggest everyone do so.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I was just thinking that for this news Muppet Wizard of Oz film, it would be neat if, rather than just putting the Muppets in representative costuming (see The Alice in Wonderland/Brooke Shields episode of The Muppet Show for an example) if the Muppet designers and builders actually made the characters look like what they're supposed to be made of. In other words, rather than just having good ol' Kermit in a ratty shirt with straw popping out of the collar, they could build a new Kermit to look as if he were constructed of burlap, with noticable stitching a patches all over his face and body.
Gonzo could similarly be made out of tin (or material to represent tin) rather than just putting him some sort of armor. I don't know, the Henson people have probably already considered this, but it was one of my concerns when I heard they were making this film. In my eyes, it would definitely be one of the determining factors as to whether this new Muppet movie would be wonderful or cheezy. Either way, I'd watch it with anticipation.

Beauregard

Reaction score
So, is this thing being made? Any more news? Anything? Worried...

lowercasegods

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the Muppet Wizard of Oz movie is being made. Disney seems like they're all gung ho to start a Muppet marketing campaign, what with the Nick and Jessica special and the Pizza Hut commercials, so it seems inevitable that this movie is going to happen. The only thing I could imagine which might stymie the project is that the movie had begun, if only on paper and in meetings, before the Disney buyout. So perhaps the legal stuff of the purchase has slowed down the production. But I still feel confident that it will get made.

Whatever

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
I was just thinking that for this news Muppet Wizard of Oz film, it would be neat if, rather than just putting the Muppets in representative costuming (see The Alice in Wonderland/Brooke Shields episode of The Muppet Show for an example) if the Muppet designers and builders actually made the characters look like what they're supposed to be made of. In other words, rather than just having good ol' Kermit in a ratty shirt with straw popping out of the collar, they could build a new Kermit to look as if he were constructed of burlap, with noticable stitching a patches all over his face and body.
Gonzo could similarly be made out of tin (or material to represent tin) rather than just putting him some sort of armor. I don't know, the Henson people have probably already considered this, but it was one of my concerns when I heard they were making this film. In my eyes, it would definitely be one of the determining factors as to whether this new Muppet movie would be wonderful or cheezy. Either way, I'd watch it with anticipation.
No, I want the Muppets to look like Muppets. If they want a character to look like a Scarecrow, build a scarecrow puppet. I want Kermit to look like Kermit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any new updates? Like did they actually write this thing yet?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last I heard the filming was scheduled for July-August. This was several weeks ago so things could still be in flux.