"The Muppets" isn't the Muppets

Do you think "The Muppets" was the Muppets?

• Total voters

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I think Kermit was a tad somber in the last one but it suited the story....Likewise VMMC.... But both he wasn't one dimensional...his place in Muppets from Space seemd a little flat...but I think in those days it was more Gonzo and Rizzo anyways so kermit kind of took a back seat to everything

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I sort of wonder if that had to do with Jim Henson's passing because in MCC and MTI they were still kinda being delicate with Kermit.

As for the recent film I understand why Kermit had to be more serious then in previous films. But now I'm ready to get back to the happy, go lucky Kermit we all know and love. :smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I will say that, regardless of how amazing Steve Whitmire is as a performer, the writers have never really "gotten" Kermit's personality down post-Henson. He has turned into a nice, kind of bland, innocent, friendly frog who helps everyone with their problems. Kind of an Arnold from HEY ARNOLD! really. Henson's Kermit could be mischievous, sarcastic, and, on occasion, a little mean.

Whitmire is great as Kermit, but he's better when he's doing interviews with him. In my opinion, anyway.
Oh I think Steve does a wonderful job with Kermit I try not to compare him to Jim Henson too much though because I don't know just doesn't seem fair. Jim's performance of Kermit is in a class act all by itself of course no one would ever be able replicate that. I've always said Steve isn't Jim and Jim isn't Steve. Their two different people with different styles of performing. But that doesn't mean Steve's is any less good because it's NOT Jim Henson.

Jim will always be Kermit no matter what. But I felt Steve's performance in the recent film to me was a great testimony of how good he has really gotten with Kermit and how far he's come. I think he's finally found his own Kermit. Because in the early days I think he was trying too hard to be and sound like Jim. But I think as Steve performed Kermit more he started to get more comftorable.

Misskermie

Reaction score
I just thought that the movie was more focused on the reationship of Gary and Mary, and Walter becoming a Muppet, rather than The Muppets getting back together again.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I just thought that the movie was more focused on the reationship of Gary and Mary, and Walter becoming a Muppet, rather than The Muppets getting back together again.
I would say that in the beginning of the film and when Gary goes after Mary towards the end it seemed that way but once we established who they were and once they met up with Kermit they did kind of just go to the background for a lot of the film and allowed The Muppets to do their thing. IMO at least anyways. Either way I loved the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can't argue with this! DrTooth knows my stance on MFS. "Oh Piggy do I know you?" :stick_out_tongue:
I think Kermit was a tad somber in the last one but it suited the story....Likewise VMMC.... But both he wasn't one dimensional...his place in Muppets from Space seemd a little flat...but I think in those days it was more Gonzo and Rizzo anyways so kermit kind of took a back seat to everything
I mentioned the problems with MFS multiple times. The script was extensively labored, the director was a hack that just didn't get the characters (and his masterpiece film is Alvin and the Chipmunks... just saying)... there was a LOT of good Gonzo/Rizzo/Pepe/Bobo/Jeffery Tambor. That was done right. Piggy was sort of clumsily dealt with (though the news reporter bit sort of worked, too bad it didn't go too far). But Kermit just felt like he wasn't there. I can't blame Steve... I can't even really blame Joey. But Kermit should have been a lot more concerned about Gonzo (he had some small bursts of concern near the end), but he didn't have any heart to heart moments with Gonzo, leaving Rizzo to do that for him. And the lack of any chemistry with Piggy. They really should have at least had a sequence where he supports her show when a bunch of other Muppets were fighting over the remote.

There were only a couple of outstandingly Muppety scenes in that film... the opening musical number, Gonzo's party, the Rat escape, Gonzo and VanNeuter... that was great, and I still think those parts of the movie had that Great Muppet spark that makes me actually like the film... but the rest of the film just... a complete inconsistant mess of trying hard to make them look real through mundane activities.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Why did you quote my post? You didn't have to repeat yourself to me. :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see why it's a concern... I'm just quoting to reiterate a point. It's one I brought up a couple times, but there is a different angle on it, and I repeat ONLY as an "Oh Yeah! TOTALLY" with color commentary.

Still, the take away is, there are projects where the characters were a LOT more flat than this one. I'm guessing those who complained about it didn't see those.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I never said it was a concern I was just asking.

MFS was a failture in it's own right I don't even think Kermit cared about himself let alone Gonzo or anyone else in that movie.

Rugby

Reaction score
I enjoyed The Muppets as a lifelong fan and admirer. I can see how some people can have some issues with the movie. Honestly speaking, the voice and mannerisms of Piggy didn't gel well for me. I think there is much room for improvement to bring her back to the Piggy we all know and love. Fozzie was inconsistent, sometimes sounding great and sometimes sounding not so great.

I think people may have trouble with an unknown character like Walter pushing tried and true classic characters like Gonzo out of the picture, making people think, "What am I watching? This isn't the Muppets!" I was also a little bothered at where Kermit lived and what he had become. He would have moved on to bigger and better things, staying active, maybe working behind the camera or working on other projects, not becoming a recluse or a museum piece. It was sad and I didn't want to accept the fact that the Muppets would break up and dissolve due to becoming irrelevant.

I will tell you though, I almost cried when they replicated the opening to The Muppet Show. I had goosebumps running up my arms. It was so amazing to watch. They REALLY did a great job with that part. But I also think it's time for the Muppets to part ways and move on from the likes of Whoopi Goldberg and find some new talent. She's too controversial and alienates half the fan base with her wacky political diatribes on The View. Keep politics out of the Muppets! The Muppets also needs to be Jason Segel's last muppet movie. I really don't want to see the Muppets become all about Jason Segel.

The movie was so intriguing being written from a muppet maniac rabid fan point of view that most of us can relate to, not to mention the freaky muppet dreams of them coming alive and meeting them all. That's where I really related to the movie. I can't tell you how many dreams I've had of meeting Jim Henson and getting to work with him and it feeling so real! So while not classic Muppet material through and through, it was still really enjoyable and where it falls a little short can be forgiven.