1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

The Muppets, Ranked.

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by brkndwnbus, May 21, 2015.

1. brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus Active Member

2. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Meh. It's nothing but a list of names, some inaccurate (Gordon Heap?). And since when is "getting hit by a bus" a Muppet? Because it's second to last, right above Scooter.

3. brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus Active Member

It's not all supposed to be taken seriously. They're just having some fun by putting that before Scooter - just a joke that Scooter is the worst.

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

True Muppet fans don't talk smack about Scooter. I'm sick of these "I liked them as a kid" casuals and their terrible "I think I saw a Mystery Scientist Theater three million once" snark.

Leave snark to the professionals, people.

5. brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus Active Member

Well, that's certainly not what this site is...but whatever. They rank everything from Mad Men characters, to the 50 best Avengers, etc. Deadspin is part of Gawker media, so yeah.

6. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I stand by my initial reaction: meh. It simply isn't funny or interesting.

7. Drtooth

It's the lowest quality of clickbait. Even if it was done by Muppet fans. You know, ones that like Scooter and complain about every new character taking focus from him.

8. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Deadspin really has been churning out articles lately that show almost no effort or original work, just summaries of sporting events and lists like this and soccer GIFs. No idea if they lost all their writers or they just don't care anymore.

Anyway, any list that has Scooter at the bottom and Andy and Randy over Beauregard is questionable to me.

9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

"Getting hit by a bus" should come before characters like Mr. Poodlepants and David Hogsohog, maybe also Andy and Randy, maybe Angelo, but not before Scooter.

Wow, that list includes Carlo Flamingo but not Monolo Flamingo? This ain't right! :)

LaRanaRene likes this.
  10. Drtooth

I'm getting sick of these lame little clickbait articles being a thing. There's a difference between "pop culture and cupcakes! Click now!" and Cracked, which does offer some insight most of the time. At least when they're not in a "if you don't hate the same movies I hate, and haven't heard of some dumb 1980's movie I grew up with, you're an idiot" tangents, that is.

Worst part is someone's freaking being paid for that laziness. I've seen great fan pages that disappeared into nothingness and the entire genre of the fan page fall into irrelevance that had a heck of a lot of work and love and effort put into them. Now, it's all "We rank ranking ranks" and "numerical quantity is a measure of something important because movies did it once" with no research or effort. And it's addictive somehow. It's all about getting ad revenue.

mr3urious likes this.
  11. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

So much of it comes from Buzzfeed's wild popularity, as they really were the first site to adapt to clickbait and stuff easily shared in a Twitter link, so everyone else had to change or lose clicks. Deadspin has produced original research and content in the past (they broke the Manti Teo fake girlfriend story!), but guess that's not in the cards for now.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  12. brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus Active Member

Implying Deadspin is clickbait now and moved on from research and content is so far off. The piece(s) on the inner workings of Jason Whitlock's launch of his version of Grantland has been great - as well as Bill Simmons' eventual firing from ESPN. As someone who hates ESPN, I love their content bashing the network.

All the pieces on Floyd Mayweather's abusive past: that they were one of the handful of outlets discussing it daily leading up to the fight - and in the years it's been going on in his life.

The page pulls in content from its many sister sites and features them on its main page, but it has not gone away from research and content. Has it expanded and taken on content it didn't publish frequently years ago, sure. But Deadspin is still the site to go to for sports news that most major media outlets don't touch.

charlietheowl likes this.
  13. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Attempting to keep this thread on track... If you want a real ranking of Muppet characters done by real Muppet fans, I suggest you search the forum for the Top 100 Muppets thread created by then prominent members TogetherAgain and theprawncracker, the latter founded the Muppet Mindset and has since gone on to work for Muppets Studio earlier this year.