1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Muppets With Andrea Bocelli & David Foster: My Christmas

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Frogpuppeteer, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

Did anyone else see this, it was awesome my fam and i saw the whole thing
    Kermit and Pepe had my mom cracking up
  2. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I caught it as well. If you missed it though, don't feel too bad as it wasn't spectacular; it was fun but nothing to write home about. Still, since it's a pledge drive special, those who missed it may still want to check their local PBS listings to see if it will (re)air later this week or up til Christmas.

The Muppet segment was just about five minutes. Kermit. Piggy. Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal, Pepe, and some penguins join Andrea on stage and the Muppets ask what they should sing together. Andrea suggests Jingle Bells to which the Muppets enthusiastically agree. The orchestra begins a very legato intro (which causes the Muppets to look around at each other wondering if its the right song). Andrea sings a very slow dramatic version of it til Kermit pipes up that the rest of them feel it should be substantially more uptempo. The Muppets pick up the tempo but Andrea still sings his way slow. Throughout the performance, Piggy is smitten with Bocelli and insists that he's perfect and can do no wrong when the other Muppets want Jingle Bells to be poppier. As Andrea still sings slowly, Piggy sighs that his version is very romantic and the others start agreeing it's not so bad this way.

What stood out for the Muppet Geek part of me was that it seemed that these were all live vocals (Andrea and the Muppets) meaning that three of Eric's characters were onstage at once (and Eric obviously was only puppeteering one) meaning he would have been alternating between voicing the others while two other puppeteers would be lip-syncing to his vocals on the spot.
  3. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

There is a short clip of the performance here. Its at about 44secs into the clip.

The song sounds great on the album.

Chris
  4. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

The special is not airing here until Sunday December 6. It appears that other markets are showing this at different times as well. I've heard the special will be repeating throughout the month so if you missed it, the special should air again.
  5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I liked their appearance, though at the beginning it wasn't all that clear what the problem they had was (to me at least).
  6. Frogpuppeteer

its on youtube
    for those that just want to see the muppet part
  7. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Haha! Actually, that's the same arrangement as the actual song released, except that the normal song doesn't have any of the cute funny Muppets chatting through it, just the lethargic verses and Muppety choruses.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm glad I found it on Youtube. I'm NO fan of Andrea Bocelli... Andrea Martin, maybe... but not Bocelli.

I'd watch an Andrea Martin Christmas special with the Muppets... hint hint.

I'm agreeing with dw here... it was nice, but nothing spectacular or Earth shattering (as the Bohemian Rhapody was... I'm STILL smiling from that). Very cute, but I ain't buying the CD for it.

Still, it was better than Bocelli's performance on Sesame Street, singing that lullaby to Elmo. That was boring.
  10. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Well lullabyes are SUPPOSED to put people to sleep!

I actually liked his SST appearance and thought it was cute but i was a bit surprised that he actually slightly meandered off key! I guess when you've got such a hugely renowned singer on your show, it's hard to tell him (if anyone noticed via their star-struckness) that they need to do a retake of the recording because he's off.
  11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, this took me by surprise, because quite frankly, I don't remember receiving an e-mail notification about this appearance.

Anyway, it was a nice little bit there, and I liked how Piggy had to be the odd one out, and be the only one who actually enjoyed Bocelli's "slow" singing, while the others kept wanting him to sing faster and more upbeat, lol.

You know, in all honesty, Eric has done a really good job doing Frank's characters these past few years or so... but is it just me, or does his Animal sound like it keeps getting... well... worse? His Piggy always sounded dead-on, it's easy to get used to his Grover, and his Bert is pretty passable, but I don't know about his Animal...

EDIT: HA! I LOVED Piggy's comment about PBS - "You know, I look at PBS and moi really as two of a kind... we're both intelligent, challenging, and we're not afraid to look right at the viewers and say, 'Cough up some dough, sweety!'."
  12. Frogpuppeteer

^ i feel the same about animal
  13. Muppetfan44

Muppetfan44 Active Member

I thought this appearance was wonderful! I'm so glad to see the Muppets all over the place doing these great holiday appearances. I can't wait to get Andrea Bocelli's album!
  14. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

Here in Nashville, this special doesn't air until Thursday (the 10th). I'd rather not sit through the whole 2 hours, so can anyone tell me how far into the program the Muppets show up?
  15. Frogpuppeteer

if you just wanna see the clip its on youtube
  16. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

Thanks, but I want to record it with my DVD recorder. So can anyone tell me how far into the show they appear?
  17. Hat Sharpener

Hat Sharpener New Member

From the promo video for his CD:

"I have always tried to sing with the greatest voices of our time."

OK, so he wasn't actually talking about the Muppets...
  18. sonia gril

sonia gril New Member

hi!
    I saw yesterday Andrea Bocelli singing with Muppets......WOW I think I love Miss Piggy. she is always so nice.
    I love her
  19. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

If they do start up The Muppet Show again, they better never book him as a guest star. I haven't been so bored with a human celebrity working with the Muppets since Nureyev.