The Mysteries of Muppetry?

jacobmaraia

Reaction score
Does anyone know what size the Muppets are? This might be some kind of basic question, but I'm curious. I've read a bit about how small the Sesame Street gang are, and I was just wondering about the Muppet Show crew.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Does anyone know what size the Muppets are? This might be some kind of basic question, but I'm curious. I've read a bit about how small the Sesame Street gang are, and I was just wondering about the Muppet Show crew.
Actually, Bert and Ernie are really big puppets compared to some of them. Here's a picture I've linked to before of me helping Bert recover from an evening of root beer and nuts. I'm a small guy, but look how big his head is compared to my hand.

:stick_out_tongue:

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
...I can only imagine pain and suffering comeing from Bert at being placed next to a whiner like Glayds. :wink:

Most of my puppets are either

Robin mouth like, and small enough to barely cover your hand.

Nip and tucked mouth, which is very fun.

Specially carved and molded mouthes, for characters with like, erm...Off the top of my head, the 3 turned 90 degrees for a cat character.

Some have beaks, one being plastic, the other being bathroom tile puddy, just enough bend so I can slam the lil birdy into walls at high speed, and he can be safe.

For eyes, I used pingpong balls, plastic spoons, sunglasses, or smoothed out plastic baseballs. And to embed em into the head, I throw them really hard. :wink:

jacobmaraia

Reaction score
Secrets of the Muppets! Amazing! I'd never seen that before, thanks Super Scooter! And thanks, too, for that great pic Once Was Ernie. I'm starting to see the scale here ...

Again, thanks so so so much!

jacobmaraia

Reaction score
New question, this one about Pepe the Prawn:

Does anyone know how they get Pepe to look up and down? I mean, this seems pretty gnarly to me, him being a rod puppet and all.

To expand the question: Does anybody know what he looks like under his skin? One day I'd like to tackle building a replica -- my wife's obsessed with Pepe, and I thought it would make an awesome gift one day -- but it's definately something I'm gonna have to work up to.

Also, right now I'm having fun making my own creations with the amazing tips you've all given me so far. Thanks!

muppetinsider

Reaction score
There is most likely a joint in the rod and a trigger that is pulled to manipulate the actual head to pivet.

jacobmaraia

Reaction score
Thanks muppetinsider!

New question, Electric Mayhem-style!

How do you make those awesome noses? I'm thinking Dr. Teeth and Floyd. Are they foam, or just stuffed fabric? And if they're foam, how do you get those kind of curves?

Thanks, all!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You can make round foam noses either by using nerf balls, or by carving foam and then (very carefully) sanding it using a belt sander.

practicecactus

Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen a photo here, of how to make one with felt and cotton.
It was a round coloured piece of felt with thread sewn around the edge spaced close together with cotton filling it, so when you pull the thread it closes up like a draw string bag making the round muppet style nose.