The New Movie: The Muppets

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I have a feeling that is something that we do not have to worry about.
Its my understanding that is just a theoretical idea and in all probability will not happen.

I think the point of this is, people should be respectful of others. If other people out there DO like Miley or the Jonas brothers then they should be allowed to like them.

I personally do not care for Miley or the Jonas Brothers, but if there are people who do like them, then good for them. :smile:

In all probability, Miley and the Jonas bothers are most likely nice people in real life.

So, someone saying "I'll puke" is not very respectful, because like it or not, there are people out there who do like these celebrities. That is their right. That fact that they like them does not make them stupid, tasteless or any other negative adjective.
Well said, Mupp. I applaud you. :smile:

If any of the Disney Channel stars DO make cameo appearances in future Muppet movies, it would not be a step backward at all.

Just remember to be respectful and refrain from acting like bullies, folks. And, yes, that includes you, Nick22 and Dr. Tooth.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just gonna get on this soapbox here and say this...

If we have to be respectful that people like something (which frankly there isn't that much of an audience for here, and we've made disparaging remarks about them in the past when Disney was sitting on everything else), you all have to be respectful of people who greatly dislike it, ESPECIALLY if they have a good explanation as to why.

I don't think their forced cameos are a step backwards for the Muppets, but for Disney on the whole. For the longest time, that's ALL Disney was about. That and to a lesser extent their preschool shows. Now, you can walk into the Disney store and find merchandise of Mickey, Goofy and Donald. You couldn't even find that during the Eisner era, when Disney was all about Pooh and Dalmatians. They seem to have found a balance, and I think it was a long time coming.

I understand that the shows have appeal for whatever reason, but market over-saturation is something I'm not a fan of in the slightest. it keeps everything generally the same, leaving people that didn't like the original shows in the first place out in the cold. That goes for every kind of medium and demographic that there is. Example- there are just too many homicide mystery shows on television, and very little alternatives for anyone else.

If Disney insisted on marketing cameos by their pop stars, it would be nothing more than marketing. Segal and Stoller want NONE of that here. They're writing their OWN cameos with their own friends. And so far, only Charles Brodin declined due to filming something else.

Not to mention forced cameos would be a sign of synergy and meddling with the brand, and they've come too far with the Muppet Brand to want to screw anything up. They want this movie to be a success because they spent a small fortune buying them from Henson. DC Almost live was a test to see where the brand stands from a demographic point. But now they've got a hot selling comic book, a series of award winning web videos, and huge plans in the future as soon as filming this baby is under their belt. DC was to market the Muppets TO the Tween pop fans. They don't need that push anymore. They made it.

Can you imagine if they pulled anything like that with Marvel, having The Jonases join the X-men, or Sonny with a Chance getting bit by a radioactive spider? That would have comic fans a million times more rabbid than us Muppet fans are in arms. They know what they're doing now, and I'd hate to see the dark 2005-2008 Disney transitional era ever again.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Drtooth: If we have to be respectful that people like something (which frankly there isn't that much of an audience for here, and we've made disparaging remarks about them in the past when Disney was sitting on everything else), you all have to be respectful of people who greatly dislike it, ESPECIALLY if they have a good explanation as to why.
Exactly. While I can see the need to respect others, I don't know that many people who are fans of something that don't get riled up about some other fandom. I have to respect the fact there are those who interpret Henson projects in a saccarine way. Others have to respect I tend to see the same projects much darker (not by making things up, but by appreciating things that are usually noted in projects with subtlety like how Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street is seen as super-optimistic despite all the horrible stuff that happens to the characters). Some like to "escape" the bad things in life. I enjoy seeing people win DESPITE the hardships unnumbered. It's just a matter of perspective.
Respect doesn't mean kowtowing. I don't have to swallow that bad taste in my mouth when I don't like something just to spare some fan's feelings. Respect merely means we can agree to disagree. I don't have to pretend to like something just because someone else does. Mature respect means you'll still talk to someone even if they dislike what you like and vice versa.
Can you imagine if they pulled anything like that with Marvel, having The Jonases join the X-men
LOL, yeah, well, we'll see ... I think they're still casting First Class....

Drtooth

Reaction score
LOL, yeah, well, we'll see ... I think they're still casting First Class....
No. Fox still has control of that franchise, unfortunately. I can't wait to see them ruin that one too.

Nick22

Reaction score
Just remember to be respectful and refrain from acting like bullies, folks. And, yes, that includes you, Nick22 and Dr. Tooth.
dont worry. i'll make sure i plan each word i say before i post it and i will no longer express my opinion to you. :stick_out_tongue:

Mupp

Reaction score
Drtooth, I should say that I agree with what you are saying about over-saturation. That was never an issue for me.

Guys, at this point we are getting into a debate over something that is THEORETICAL. Heck, this all started from a side comment from Nick22.

In all probability, there will NOT be cameos by Disney Channel stars in the new Muppet movie. Because unlike Studio DC, they do don't seem to be aiming for the tween crowd.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hypothetical, yes... but I wouldn't put it past them. I have confidence that Segal and Stoller would veto any suggestions if they were made there.

It's a general consensus that one of the weakest points of VMX was the forced NBC cameos and references, and any of those kind of cameos in this movie should be totally avoided. I mean, the Scooby-Doo cameo in Looney Tunes BIA was cute, but it still was a commercial for the second film.

Honestly, other than the obvious hidden Mickeys, I wouldn't even want a Mickey cameo in this movie, let alone any Disney Pop artists, like them or lump them.

Mupp

Reaction score
Hypothetical, yes... but I wouldn't put it past them. I have confidence that Segal and Stoller would veto any suggestions if they were made there.

It's a general consensus that one of the weakest points of VMX was the forced NBC cameos and references
I agree. That, and some of the questionable humor. They were really trying too hard with that film.

It seems that this new Muppet movie is being made with fans in mind.

I also have to say that the Hulk Hogan cameo in MFS was very unnecessary and distracting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also have to say that the Hulk Hogan cameo in MFS was very unnecessary and distracting.
I was more annoyed by Rob Schnider being in that film. I'd rather have ALL the Disney Pop stars in this movie than EVER see Rob Schnider within a 50 mile radius of the Muppets Ever again. EVER!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
just gotta say so far i agree with all Drtooth is saying,

Personally at least in my neck of the woods no tweens care about muppets everything is twilight