The new What Made You Smile Today thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Just stumbled onto Nostalgia Critic, and he gave a positive review of one of my favorite 90s shows, Duckman.

Duckman screams 90s. The writing was as edgy as The Simpsons or Ren and Stimpy.
Jason Alexander was moonlighting as the title character. The recently deceased Frank Zappa supplied the music. Zappa’s son Dweezil voiced Ajax.
And the animation was by Clasky/Csupo, so it looks like an adult Rugrats.

Something for everybody.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Just about 50 years ago, Sesame Street released its second cast album of songs from the show.

The first one, which included “Rubber Duckie”/“Bein’ Green”, actually made the pop charts and won a Grammy.

So my folks bought that, and the second one for me. I wasn’t even three yet, but I played them every chance I got.

The last track on Side Two was “Someday Little Children”. It was groovy beyond words.
Somehow I gave these records away, or wore them out. Until 1999, I found the second album at a garage sale. For a measly fifty cents, I got the almost -30-year-old record home, put it on my turntable, and in the cracks and pops heard Susan’s voice again.
Few things in life made me as happy as this song.
I don’t ever recall it being sung on the show (I could be wrong), but this record, and especially this song, was a tremendous 2 1/2 minutes of sheer joy.

Joe Raposo was a musical giant in the show’s early years. But Jeff Moss came up with this one. For that I’m eternally grateful.
And on YouTube, there are many clean copies of this. A gift and a blessing.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Getting back to “Someday Little Children”, I vaguely remembered the song when I was little. When I found the album, the main songs I was looking forward to hearing were “Has Anybody Seen My Dog?” and “Mad!” (God bless you, Jerry). So “Someday Little Children” came as a big surprise. I was 31, and the song was more relevant than when I was a toddler.

Someday, having a world where people don’t get sick no more. Well, two years of not being in the hospital, I’m off to a good start.

Sometime in the 2000s, Loretta Long was putting together a book of fans’ Sesame memories. I shot her an email of how much her song meant to me. She was genuinely touched. I don’t know if the book was ever published, but it would have been great to hear from others my age.

Back in 1998, Loretta was the first of many Sesame people I would get to meet. She autographed one of my records, “You’re one of the first Sesame Seeds”. That was beautiful.
Thank you Loretta, and here’s to all the seeds and stems that came after me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
She made a surprise visit to my middle school in 2000 when I was in sixth grade, and I later learned she was on something of a tour, going around to various schools to talk about the importance of education, as well as the impact television has had on advancing education for young children (a la the formation of PBS and the creation of SS) - I remember she was even front-page news in our local newspaper.

Likewise, I too submitted my "Susan Story" for her book project, but to the best of my knowledge, that has never come to fruition.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
She made a surprise visit to my middle school in 2000 when I was in sixth grade, and I later learned she was on something of a tour, going around to various schools to talk about the importance of education, as well as the impact television has had on advancing education for young children (a la the formation of PBS and the creation of SS) - I remember she was even front-page news in our local newspaper.

Likewise, I too submitted my "Susan Story" for her book project, but to the best of my knowledge, that has never come to fruition.
At the time I met her, she was touring plugging her new book. It was about a girl who didn’t get invited to a birthday party because of her color. She wrote it in a clever way, it wasn’t overwrought or preachy.
One thing I also loved about Susan, in the early years there were many variations of “One of These Things is Not Like the Others”. I thought her version was the coolest.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
My Saltywhiteguy channel now has 150 subscribers! 😀
I stumbled on your Evolution of Little Jerry and the Monotones. Great job. Props to you.

It’s funny, at the beginning, they could’ve been a real heavy psychedelic band in keeping with the times, but their roots are squarely in fifties doo -wop. But it’s all good.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Thank you for watching that! I actually plan to update that video in the future, especially when I manage to get some of the season 2 clips from connections I have.