The Next Autobiography

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was sure that this thread had been done before, but I can't find it, so here's a new one...

Which Muppeteer should come out with an autobiography next? I have the feeling that Steve Whitmire might be next.

Kiki

Reaction score
We can only hope.. I'm rully hoping it's gonna be Stevie's next... I'd buy it like THAT!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson would be wonderful. I'd love to hear his take on things. Actually, I wish they all would do it! Jerry, Dave, Brian, Bill, Steve...yup--I'm buyin.

Although, I haven't got Clash's book yet.

rtgentry

Reaction score
I would like to know more about Steve. I loved Caroll's , I couldnt put it down. I have Kevins, its a little harder to get into.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I really hope that the great Frank Oz is next to put out an autobiography.

BradFraggle

Reaction score
Warrick said that he asked Steve Whitmire about writing a book like Caroll Spinney's back in April and Steve said he would like to, but no one has asked him. You see, it's not just a matter of having the puppeteer wanting to, but also having someone willing to pay them to. They won't spend the time and energy writing a book if no one's going to release it or fund it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, I can see somone asking Kevin with having a character get that big and all. But I'm talkin' Miss Piggy here, I mean come on...

BEAR

Reaction score
Bill Baretta won't mainly because he is not all that recognizable yet and he is still fairly new to the Muppets. Wanted to get that out of the way first.

I think Steve Whitmire's would be interesting especially since he has gotten to see the company grow for so long. He was just a kid when he joined the Muppets and it was near the start of the whole franchise. Plus he has been very active in the Muppets (all of the films), Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock. Plus, he could discuss his relationship with Jim Henson and what it was like to take over his two biggest and most popular characters Kermit and Ernie. Mainly Kermit because those are HUGE shoes to fill. I feel he would have a lot to say and he is very smart and passionate when he talks about the Muppets.

Jerry Nelson's would be excellent as well. He has been working with the Muppets basically since day one. His book would be smart.

Frank Oz...Not sure on this. I would LOVE to see him come out with a book, but not sure how likely it would be. Atleast not very soon.

Martin Robinson...I've always wanted to hear more from him in interviews and things. I feel he is one of the most underrated and most over looked of all the Muppeteers. He has two great characters, but no one ever really thinks of that man behind them. Just not as recognizable I guess.

Fran Brill...now THAT would be interesting. It would be nice to read from a woman's perspective working with Jim. She was the first female Muppeteer (besides Jane Henson). She is also the longest running of the female Muppeteers and she has been with Sesame Street for almost as long as Carrol Spinney. She has seen much. Very smart lady and a brilliant performer (puppetry, voice over, acting...). Would like to hear from the female. She would have a lot to say.

Brian Henson...I would DEFINITELY read that and it would be a good book. Different because he could talk a lot about the company and the Muppets, but also give us deeper insight into the family behind them. How the two blended and how they didn't. His experience in taking the helm of the company. His relationship with folks at SW. So many things. It could be from any family member, but Brian's views would be interesting. That book should come out next. It is time.

As for human cast members (from SS):
Roscoe Orman has already released a memoir, I am pleased to discover. This will be great to hear things from the human actor/cast member's POV. Not much is ever really heard from them as people when not performing on the show. I think Orman's will be smart and great to read. I would like to read more, mostly from longer running cast members like Bob McGrath. Sonia Manzano could discuss more the writers perspective along with the acting too.

Joan Ganz Cooney is someone who I feel should write a book. I think I would rather read a book by her than most of the actual performers/actors. She created Sesame Street. It was her baby. I would like to get a deeper sense of her mission and goal with the show and how she came about creating it. What was her relationship like with the Hensons and the other performers? What does she feel about the direction the show is going now? It is one of the longest running shows in television history!

The possibilities are endless. I hope that Clash and Spinney have started a tradition that others will follow.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
rtgentry said:
I would like to know more about Steve. I loved Caroll's , I couldnt put it down. I have Kevins, its a little harder to get into.
I loved both books and couldn't put either one of them down, but I don't know... Caroll's seems to be a little more "tops" with me... I guess that's because I got Caroll's book during one of my "Heaven on Earth" periods, while I got Kevin's during my current new "**** on Earth" period.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I would love to see Steve write a book, but being he's kind of a private person I don't know if he would. I would certainly buy it but like someone here said it's also got to be someone willing to shell out the bucks for him to do it.
I think Frank Oz writing a book would be a bit more logical because a) more people know who he is and b) he not only has the Muppet work to write about but all his expriences as a director and working with all the actors he's worked with. Not to mention it sounds like his background/family life would be something to read. They make brief mentions in of Muppets and Men about his family fleeing Europe and stuff, so that's gotta make for some great book material! Plus seeing him on interviews he seems to get pretty deep about stuff and definitely has strong opinions on everything from the puppetry industry to Jim's death that I would love to hear his view on all that.