The Next Food Network Star Season 5 Thread

kermiegirl

Reaction score
Hello everyone! It's the new season of my favorite show! Here is what happened on the season premiere of TNFNS.
The eleven finalists - Jen, Jamika, Katie, Brett, Michael, Eddie, Melissa, Teddy, Jeffrey and Debbie - met each other for the first time in their apartments.
Then, they were sent to the FN Test Kitchens where they met the judges of TNFNS: Bobby Flay, Bob Tuschman and Susie Fogelson. They presented the finalists with their first challenge: Make food for Food Network's 16th anniversary party. The finalists were split into 2 teams: the Green Team - Brett, Jamika, Teddy, Melissa and Jen - and the Red Team - Debbie, Michael, Katie, Jeff and Eddie. They were each given $1,200 to spend on groceries at Wholesome Foods. However, as Debbie and Michael were at the checkout, they realized that they were overspending, so they got rid of half of their groceries, which made their team really mad at Debbie, especially Jeff and Katie, who had to rework their dishes. However, Katie grabbed some of her dijon mustard she needed for her dish from the Green Team.
On the Green Team, Melissa's tarts were in trouble for not making the deadline, which they did, but they looked really ugly.
At the party, which included a lot of FN stars plus Access Hollywood, the Green Team served up their dishes first. Brett introduced his butternut squash soup, Jen with her green beans plus walnuts and tomatoes, Jamika with her spicy shrimp and slaw, Teddy with his potato gratin and Melissa with her apple tarts. As the FN stars tasted the food, they thought the tart was the favorite food, the shrimp was bad but the slaw was good, the green beans sucked, the potato gratin was raw and the beef tenderloin from Bretts dish wasn't appealing.
When the Red Team prepared their desert, the angel food cake was too sticky so they put pieces of the cake onto the plate covered with raspberry sauce and mint leaves. Debbie introduced her crab cakes, Katie with her salad and chards - she's a dietician - Jeff with his Grilled Zucchini, Michael with his filet mignon and Eddie with his B.L.A.S.T. bowl (Bacon, Lettuce, Avacado, Spinich and Tomoatoes) The FN stars thought the crab cakes had flavor, the filet mignon has spice, the grilled zucchini was crispy, the salad and chard were okay, the B.L.A.S.T. bowl seemed like the bacon had overpowering flavor and the cake was an absolute disgrace.
Then it came time for the first evaluation of the competition. The Red Team confessed about the limited foods they were forced to use. In the end, the judges couldn't decide on the winning team because each team had weak points, so the judges chose Jeff, Michael and Melissa as the winners of the challenge so they were safe for the first round, as did Jamika, Teddy, Katie, Debbie and Brett. Then it came down to Jen and Eddie. They decided to let Eddie stay and let Jen go, which made her very sad.
That's the first episode. Leave any comments on this thread and I will continue to post episode recaps every Sunday or Monday.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Awesome recap! I watched too - I love this show as well and I think you and I talked about it last year too. Did you feel it was faster pace than last year? The hour was up so quickly and I feel like I barely learned anything about the contestants so far!

kermiegirl

Reaction score
Well, we did learn a little about the finalists as they entered the apartment. And did you notice also that they had a different evaluation room than in the previous seasons? That was the major change that I have seen so far.
I thought the pace was similar to last season so I didn't notice a change in that. My sister - who was watching it with me - said that Debbie was absolutely horrible as a leader. I would have to agree with that, wouldn't you?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh my gosh yes, I'm surprised they kept her! I don't know how long she'll last. It was fun to watch though.

kermiegirl

Reaction score
Here is the next episode recap of TNFNS:
There are nine finalists left - I thought there was ten left but I guess I was wrong. The finalists went to the FN test kitchens where they met BF and a person from Esquire magazine, who explained they must create a dish a man would make for their magazine and present it in front of the camera. The winning recipe will be featured in that magazine. Many of the finalists received a piece of meat and an unusual food they must make with their recipe like pistachios or maple syrup. When Katie was done cooking her meat, she made it rare accidentaly while Melissa thought her plating of her dish was absolutely horrible.
Then, it was time for presenting their food in front of the camera. Eddie presented his dish that had meat and beer in it - I forgot what kind of dish or meat it was - Melissa presented her cherry chicken tajine (?), Jamika with her porterhouse steak and whiskey - she froze and couldn't remember her lines - Jeff with filet mignon with pistachios, Teddy with ribeye and maple syrup, Brett with a hamburger (?) and pickle, Michael with coffee rubbed porkchops - he ended his presentation with 20 seconds left on the clock - Debbie with some sort of meat and peanut sauce and Katie with ribs and cereal plus couscous. At the end of the challenge, Eddie won it.
Then, the finalists went to Hearst Tower where Good Housekeeping was being published. Giada de Laurentis and the editor-in-chief of GH presented the finalists with their next challenge: create a holiday related dish and it will be featured in GH magazine. Since he won the last challenge, Eddie picked out some of the holidays and assigned them to the finalists. Eddie had Valentines Day, Debbie had Mardi Gras, Melissa had Mothers Day, Teddy had Labor Day, Brett had April Fools Day, Michael had Halloween, Katie had Earth Day, Jamika had New Years Eve and Jeff had Groundhog Day. As the finalists were plating their dishes, Melissa freaked out about how she wasnt going to get anything plated, so Teddy and Brett helped her out. Then, it was time to present the dish to the judges and the editor-in-chief. Debbie created a mondou, Melissa had made scrambled egg sandwich - or something like that - Teddy with potato salad and crabcakes, Brett with lobster tampour - note: Brett made an AF joke by telling the judges that he wont continue with the competition, which made the judges really scared :smile: - Michael with a butternut squash salad, Katie with roasted shrimp with white beans - she rambled on her dish and Bob Tuschman thought this wasn't FNS material - Jamika with collard greens and cornbread, Eddie with some sort of fish dish - he told the judges that he made this dish for his girlfriend for their first date and shared TMI on it - and Jeff made avacado with lobster in it - it was a Mexican dish and it didn't connect with the holiday at all.
Then, it was time for evaluation. Giada was in the room with the judges. Katie explained to the judges that her food was not the way she planned it and she cried. Brett and Teddy told the judges that they helped Melissa plate her food, which made her mad and it questioned her integrity. In the challenge, Jamika won and was safe for the week and so was Debbie, Melissa, Jeff, Michael and Teddy. Then it was down to Brett, Katie and Eddie in the bottom three. The judges let them go so that they would make their final decision. When they came back in, they decided to let Katie and Eddie stay and let Brett go.
The next morning, Jamika went over to GH and cooked with a chef to prepare her dish for the magazine.
That's the recap. Feel free to leave a comment.

kermiegirl

Reaction score
I have decided that there is no point in doing this thread anymore since nobody wants to look at this thread. So Im done!

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
Wait! Who is the person Quit the Next Food Network Star Season 5 and why he or she quit!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I have decided that there is no point in doing this thread anymore since nobody wants to look at this thread. So Im done!
I think you and I are the only ones who watch sadly! PM me if you want to chat about it though! :smile:

kermiegirl

Reaction score
To JEANYLASER: Huh?
To redBoobergurl: Its true, so just to let you know, Eddie was sent home on Sunday.