The non-shiny fleece

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
My food talks to me...especially if it's full of lactose. I wrote to GA Stage and got a response, but I'll give them some time to post here if they wanna.

Tztz might be our intelligent person here!! :smile:
Foz, I'm not sure that's your food talking to you.... but rather your bottom end? *laughing*

Hey Buck, Kiss my: ( I )

*giggle*

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
Hey Buck, Kiss my: ( I ) *giggle*
We will not have non-marital relations going on around here, children! Don't make me turn this thread around and go back home--because I'll DO IT--and you WON'T like it... :attitude:

Oh gosh! I just became my father?!!! :concern: So THAT'S why I've been going bald and getting fatter...

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
We will not have non-marital relations going on around here, children! Don't make me turn this thread around and go back home--because I'll DO IT--and you WON'T like it... :attitude:

Oh gosh! I just became my father?!!! :concern: So THAT'S why I've been going bald and getting fatter...

PPpppffffbbttttt <------ my version of a messy raspberry.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Tztz said:
Buck-Beaver , what u have just said remind me a phone conversation which i had with a very talented puppet builder. she told me that antron tend to loose, after a while, its orginal texture.
There is actually a name for this process (most high-pile fabrics go through it). Darned if I can't remember it though.

Oh, and Puppetplanet, do you kiss your hubby with that mouth? :wink:

Torarin

Reaction score
actually, I think what you say might be right with the avenueq puppets. They look a bit like antron lighted with the light sources reflected and diffused. but still, you often see puppets on sesame street that for example has non shiny fleece as their skin but their noses and lids are shiny. Or the other way around. I think you missed my point, i'm not saying lightning couldn't make a difference, but seriously, do you really think they would make all their puppets with "shiny" antron and then have to make sure that every single time that puppet was used, it looked non shiny? I'm either for the theory that some kind of diffusing dye is used on it, or simply, there are other good fleeces in the world than antron.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Indeed, Buck, I DID email Ga Stage and our friend Kathy, who's posted here before, responded with....
Kevin,
I wish I could give you the absolute answer.* The fleece does have a shine to it and when it is dyed loses a little bit.* I have found with the darker colors the shine is less (maybe they are dyed more than once or left to sit in the dye longer).* Some fabric paints will dull the fleece also.* I wish I could be of more help.* The answer is probably in the method and in the products used.** Sorry I was of so little help.
Kathy
GA Stage, Inc.

So, it's in the coloring process.

ToastCrumbs

Reaction score
Antron Fleece

There's been a lot of talk about antron fleece, and its shinny quality. When Muppets started they used whatever fleece was available at the time. For the most part I'd say that a fleece known as hardwick fleece, which has a matte look (no shine) was used in the begining. The workshop tried out several fleeces over it 30 years, some didn't take well to the dying process, they would pill up and would have to be snipped smooth with scissors, others didn't have the stretch that was needed. Eventualy the switch to antron fleece was made and everybody was happy. The shine that antron has helps to give Muppets a little bit of an extra kick under lighting and Muppet builders were always on the look out for that extra little something to add to there puppets. So you see there's really no mistery when it comes to fleece other than materials change over the years. When Muppets settled on the look everyone was happy with, Jim just offered to buy a certain amount form the source to keep them in buisness for life. So there you have it.

As always Happy puppet building to all! :smile: