to the Muppet Central Forum!
are viewing our forum as a guest. Join
our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please
contact us if
you need help with registration or your account login.
Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greengables95, Sep 8, 2012.
A recent PM from Marty reminded me that I also like the name Michelle.
Top ten male names:
Top ten female names:
Top ten Bugs Bunny shorts:
10. The Hasty Hare
9. Person to Bunny
8. What's Up, Doc?
7. A Wild Hare
6. The entire "hunting trilogy"
5. Compressed Hare
4. Hare-Way to the Stars
3. High Diving Hare
2. Bugs and Thugs
1. Tortois Wins by a Hare
Top ten Daffy Duck shorts:
10. Wise Quackers
9. Quack Shot
8. Skyscraper Caper
7. Ducking the Devil
6. Show Biz Bugs
5. The Million Hare
4. the entire "hunters trilogy"
3. Porky Pig's Feat
2. Duck Dogers and the 24th and a Half Century
1. Duck Amuck
Top ten Porky Pig shorts:
10. Dog Collard
9. Fool Coverage
8. Scaredy Cat
7. Get Rich Quick, Porky!
6. Robin Hood Daffy
5. Porky in Wackyland
4. Porky and Daffy
3. Porky Pig's Feat
2. You Ought to Be in Pictures
1. Patient Porky
Top Ten Archaic Names I Wish Would Be Revived, of Either Sex:
Top 10 Boys' Names:
9. Alexander (and I'm not just saying that because it's my kid brother's name)
4. Sydney (though I like it as a girls' name, too)
Top 10 Girls' Names
3. Charlotte (Charlie for short; I like tomboyish nicknames)
1. Catherine (I only really like the C spelling)
Since everyone else is doing names.....
Top 10 Names (Boys and Girls)
2. Matthew (not just because it's my name, I love the meaning "Gift from God.")
Top 10 Activities
10. Watching Movies
8. Writing Stories (even though I'm not really good at it)
7. Being Weird
5. Reading Stories/Poems Aloud (I have fun with this during Forensics!)
3. Listening to Music
Top 10 Things I like to do
10. Walking Skylar, my Sheltie!
8. Talking politics, feminism, animal rights, etc.
7. Writing fanfiction and blog posts
5. Listening to music
4. Going for walks in nature by myself.
1. Being weird!
Top 10 (arguably) least tomboyish things about me:
10. I like scented lotions and shower gels
9. I enjoy shopping
8. I paint my nails (black, mostly)
7. I squeal when I see pictures of kittens and bunnies
6. I like to bake and cook
5. I buy cutesy socks (mostly so if they get lost in the laundry, my brothers won't take them and wear them)
4. I listen to some music that's really poppy (it's my guilty pleasure)
3. I don't have a lot of guy friends
2. I have no use for most organized sports
1. I cry quite often
Okay, since i'm so excited about almost all of Shakespears Sister's albums getting rereleased, many with deluxe editions, i decided i'd try to list my Top Ten Favorite Shakespears Sister tracks...and this is the first time i ever tried to do a top ten songs list for one of my fave bands as i always knew narrowing down such a list would be ultra-hard, especially because typically with my fave artists, the songs i love most tend to rotate and fluctuate...but hard as it was, i stuck with it and came up with the following:
Top Ten Shakespears Sister Tracks:
10. Remember My Name
8. The Trouble with Andre
7. Dirty Mind (album version!)
6. The Older Sister
5. Here Comes the Weather
4. She's Lost Control (Joy Division cover)
3. Opportunity Knockers
2. I Don't Care (single version!)
1. You Can't Wear Shades
Now this gave me the idea to try something else i always had in the back of mind to attempt: a Top Ten list of the best Sophie Muller-directed music videos. Even though many people just use them as a disposable marketing tool, i've always loved the idea of the music video as an art form when they're done well by people who approach them as such (i totally geeked out with glee back when MTV started including the Director's credits in their video titles) and Muller has always been my favorite video director. Since she not only directed most of Shakespears Sister's videos but also co-wrote much of SS's "MGA Sessions" album, doing the above list jogged my interest at trying to narrow down her best videos...and this was even HARDER to do than the fave songs list just because of the sheer volume of videos under her belt. I also tried to not include more than one video by the same artist on the list but finally had to make an exception for Eurythmics because there was no way i could not include either of the two videos that i did. What i love about Sophie is not only is she great at helping artists interpret their work visually, but she has a gift for picking up on the emotions of a song and exploding it - usually right down to a beat by beat level...so ultimately keeping that in mind is what enabled me to narrow down and rank the final choices in terms of the videos that served as the best examples of such.
Top Ten Sophie Muller Videos:
10. Bjork - Venus as a Boy
9. Amy Studt - Just a Little Girl
8. Ke - Strange World
7. Eurythmics - Beethoven (I Love to Listen to)
6. Vegas - Possessed
5. Annie Lennox - Little Bird
4. No Doubt - Don't Speak
3. Eurythmics - Don't Ask Me Why
2. Shakespears Sister - Stay
1. Dixie Chicks - Not Ready to Make Nice
Top ten episodes of Taz-Mania:
10. The Taz Story Primer
9. Heartbreak Taz
8. It's No Picnic
7. Just Be Cuz
6. Kiwi A La King
5. Woeful Wolf
4. Friends for Strife
3. No Time for Christmas
2. The Pied Piper of Taz-Mania
1. Devil of a Job
Here's a list that can be seen as both "out there" and self-fullfilling: A list of the top ten videos I made and uploaded to YouTube:
10. It Came From Where It Was Supposed to Come From
9. Werm: This is Me
8. The Ain’t Show
7. Drawer-Opening Remote
6. How to Make Sense Out of Dead Doughnuts
5. The Ultimate Loser of the Year Awards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wHCvRuAeE8
4. Online Character Insight: Professor Nonsense http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SBredkk5HI
3. Crazy Time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfSTZ6fXb-A
2. Werm’s Wacky World http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKP4aSWayio
1. A No-Budget Film Remake: The Ghostbuster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZm5qZXiI98&feature=plcp
Top ten favoirte comic strips:
10. Bloom County
9. U.S. Acres
8. Fox Trot
6. Dennis the Menace
5. Family Circus
3. Calvin and Hobbes
I'll try that list as well.
Top ten comic strips:
10. Non Sequitur
9. Mother Goose and Grimm
6. Garfield (until about 1996)
4. The Far Side
3. Calvin and Hobbes
2. For Better or For Worse (until Farley's death)
1. Bloom County
Strips one through six are ones I've liked enough currently or in the past to actually purchase collections, with seven through ten I'll glance at in the paper or something.
I'll say that the majority of my choices was based on how often I read the strips (especially for anything that wasn't my choice for #3-1). I read the comics section of the newspaper quite regularly (almost every day) from 1995 until about 2003, currently I tend to only read comic strips if there's a newspaper on the table that's turned to the comics pages (if I happen to see the sunday comics laying around I'll usually look through the whole paper).
But I do have a number of comic strip reprint collections. Plenty of Garfield, Peanuts, and Calvin and Hobbes, and at least one each of a number of other comics (including one Cathy, which I didn't put on the list). In fact the only Bloom County I've read is in a book I have of the comic (I've occasionally read the current Opus comics but none of them have stuck out in my mind). Also, I've only read U.S. Acres comics online in a multi-part series of articles on the strip (which I saw a uear or two ago), but I like the majority of what I read there (and of course I grew up with the more-famous animated segments from Garfield and Friends).
Alright, I'll bite.
My top ten personal favorite Steve D'Monster YouTube videos:
10. "Scar Music Video: Gee, I'm Glad it's Raining"
9. "Haven't I Seen Me Somewhere Before?"
8. "Dear Steve - MarshalGrover"
7. "Dear Steve - antsamthompson9"
6. "'Snow' is a Four-Lettered Word"
5. "Baffling Discovery"
4. "Year in Review"
3. "Whatever Happened to Steve D'Monster?"
2. "Jingle Jangle All the Way"
1. "Twas the Night"
My top ten favorite comic strips (in order of appearance in our paper):
2. Fox Trot
6. Get Fuzzy
7. Family Circus
9. Rose is Rose
10. Stone Soup
11. Mother Goose and Grimm
12. Beetle Bailey
13. Baby Blues
15. Snuffy Smith
Top four comics my paper no longer runs that I wish would come back:
1. Sherman's Lagoon
2. Spy Vs. Spy
3. Mr. Potato Head
4. Jump Start
Of the Chuck Jones shorts, how could you leave out "What's Opera Doc"? Gotta be tied with Duck Amuck for #1.
Well, I don't really care for "What's Opera, Doc?" too much, aside from the "kill the wabbit" song (though in recent years I've come to appreciate the animation better). I was never too fond of the short when I was a kid, and since growing up I feel it's overrated (I know, "and Duck Amuck, Duck Dogers, One Froggy Evening, and the hunting trilogy aren't?"). Having said that, I am quite shocked that it wasn't even nominated for an Oscar (I feel it is better than the Oscar-winning Knighty Knight Bugs and Tweetie Pie).
I only really heard of Bloom County when a friend of mine gave me one of the original eighties collections to read last year, and I became hooked. Since then I've obtained the first three of the American Comics reissue series, which have Berkeley's comments and footnotes throughout the collection. They're really nice reissues, and I'm hoping to get the last two volumes soon.
For a long time I thought the comic strip was called "Opus n Bill". I guess part of that has to do with the "A Wish for Wings That Work" special starring them (I think they were billed that way).
My papers list it as Opus.
The character was recently revived for a new comic strip series simply titled Opus, but he'd originated in a comic strip called Bloom County. I think the newer Opus strips feature other characters from the Bloom County strip, which ended a long time ago (I want to say 1994, but I'm not sure).
In an effort to bring this thread back to topic here's my picks for the top ten songs from either the Beatles or solo ex-Beatles:
10. In My Life
9. Wonderful Christmastime
8. Come Together
7. Band on the Run
6. Strawberry Fields Forever
5. She Loves You
4. When We Were Fab
3. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
1. Silly Love Songs
Separate names with a comma.