The original "Rubber Duckie?"

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I was disappointed the original version wasn't on the 40 Years of Sunny Days DVD set.

I'm going from memory, but I believe the original can be partially seen in the special, "The Muppets - A Celebration of 30 Years" from 1986.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No... that's the other version. I wonder if this version was lost to the ages. That and the Orange Oscar "I Love Trash" seem to be quite elusive. But then again, SW has virtually everything archived... I wonder if they just don't know by "Original Rubber Duckie" we don't mean the second version we've seen for years. Maybe they don't even realize there was another version vefore the more famous one.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
No... that's the other version. I wonder if this version was lost to the ages. That and the Orange Oscar "I Love Trash" seem to be quite elusive. But then again, SW has virtually everything archived... I wonder if they just don't know by "Original Rubber Duckie" we don't mean the second version we've seen for years. Maybe they don't even realize there was another version vefore the more famous one.
I wonder if the master tapes/ files/ whatever even give the titles any kind of distinction to tell them apart. And to think, if it weren't for the fact thata clip appeared in the Muppets 30th anniversary special, would we know that the more famous version wasn't the original? Would it make us think that Ernie's nose became bright red before the season ended, and that the first season actually did use a plain color besides the usual grayish-white and the occasional black? The first season show content files from the CTW Archives only list one verison of Rubber Duckie. CTW has made the original season mistake countless times, in the 40th anniversary set, the Old School set, the timelines in The Street We Live On and Daytime Emmy Awards, the Sesame Street Unpaved special...

Of course, if the true original was on the DVD set, then they couldn't have put an image from the more-famous version on the cover.

And with us finally having copies of Henson #1 and Telly Monster's first appearance, plus the fact that There's a Hole in the Bucket is available at sesamestreet.org, could the original Rubber Duckie be the new Sesame Street "holy grail"?

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
That and the Orange Oscar "I Love Trash" seem to be quite elusive.
At least the orange Oscar "I Love Trash" has been released on both DVDs ("Sunny Days" and "Old School").

:sympathy: :frown: :grouchy: *sighs* Maybe we'll never get to see it unless SW finally releases it... and not the more famous "blue background" version or the 1990's version.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I only know of 2 types of rubber duckies.

The one on the left has also been yellow.so was the first duckie different again?