The Piggy Evolution

Helen

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed the change in Miss Piggy throughout the course of the Muppets movies? Since 1979, she has evolved from a largely demure, dependant, ultra-feminine pig to a sexy, controlling, powerful feminist who says 'sorry isn't good enough' and uses violence whenever she feels the need!

Does this strike anyone as a reflection of our society's progress and the role of women?

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
You can't get a good picture of Piggy by just looking at the movies. The Muppet Show predates The Muppet Movie. Piggy was not exactly demure or dependent in TMS and she was perfectly willing to resort to violence. Watch TMS and see if you think your hypothesis holds.

In the movies you (generally) see Piggy playing a part not Piggy acting on her own. This can be confusing in TMM and MTM because they are playing themselves, but look at the movies-- if all the Muppets went to college together than how did Kermit meet Piggy on the way to Hollywood? If they had already signed standard rich and famous contracts and made a movie why would they have such a hard time getting meetings with Broadway producers (Hollywood stars can't necessarily get a Broadway gig but they can generally wrangle a meeting) and Kermit has said MTM was just a movie and he and Piggy are not actually married. So, most of the time, Piggy is following a script not acting on her own in the movies. You have to look at the moments when they break character, the back stage bits on TMS and other appearances to see Piggy really being Piggy.

Unless you want to write about how the roles written for Piggy may have changed (but I think MCC may mess up your theory as it is the fourth Muppet movie and Piggy has a pretty demure role).

unclematt

Reaction score
uppetquilter i just wanted to say that you really put alot of time into that answer ad it is very well thought out. I am impressed. I think Piggy really needs to change with the times whereas most of the other Muppets are not as fortunate in thier physical appearences, Piggy is very fortunate. There ae many changeable features.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Piggy's nose and other features that eveolved have been discussed here and you might find this thread interesting.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think to keep things canon, TMS and TMM are the only real histories of The Muppets, and paired with MFS and VMX, it all fits. The other films are the Muppets playing themselves as not themselves, or playing as other characters in the case of MTI and MCC.

And I think that Muppet Babies are all a part of Piggy's imagination anyhow and DO NOT fit the canon history of the characters.

Helen

Reaction score
Magic thread Vic! Just a quick note - I understand what you're saying about the Muppets playing roles, but what I'm trying to understand is why it's piggy in the beauty pageant, why it's piggy that hangs around following kermit in MTM, why it's piggy who seems to be more concerned by her story in MFS than gonzo's safety - I'm looking beyond what roles they're playing to why they're playing those roles and what that says about us as a society. Food for thought.