The Pixar schedule til the end of time

beaker

Reaction score
Well, Pixar has released its line of animated films til...well for quite a long time to come:

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1043216962,65370,

2003: Finding Nemo(AKA a movie about fish)

2004: The Incredibles

2005: Cars(oh joy...a cgi film about cars)

2006: Untitled cgi restaraunt rat film

*YAWN*

Sadly, nary a Toy Story 3, or a Monsters Inc 2 on the slate. A shame.

Though, that isnt as horrendous sounding as Disney's new mega
cheapquel slate for 2003:

101 Dalmations 2
Atlantis 2
Lilo and Stitch 2
The Jungle Book 2
Mulan 2
The Lion King 1.5
...and quite a few more to be announced. yeeesh.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why would you want Pixar to start loading up on sequels? They are a creative team of people and you've liked all of their projects so far.

I think you are being way too harsh on them. How can you judge an idea from just a name and a vague sentence description. Have you seen any of the art from these projects? The one about cars could actually be interesting. It's never really been done in animation except in a few very old shorts and Herbie the Lovebug. I'm sure they'd find an interesting hook that will be better than Herbie. I mean, geez. Cut them some slack, man. At least they are going on a more diverse and creative rout than Disney. I can understand why they don't want to make sequels at this point in their contracts - and why should they anyway. The most worthwhile sequels in entertainment are usually the well planned ones that are relased several after the original.

GWGumby

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to "The Incredibles" the most.

Brad Bird is practically an animation god. Though there have been a few reports of some troubles with Brad's team not quite meshing with Pixar. Rumor has it that Brad's team comes from a traditional animation background and when they need help from the more experienced 3D people from Pixar they keep getting put off. Nonetheless, there've been plenty of films with production problems that have risen above them and delivered amazing finished results. And I doubt Pixar would let anything get out with their name on it that was less than amazing.

radionate

Reaction score
The only movie that was news to me on the list is the rat one. All in all I'm excited to see Pixar's take on these films. I've not been disappointed in anything they've done (although A Bug's Life is the lesser of all their films, but not by much), and I can't wait to see how they plan to engage us to a bunch of cars, or how realistic the superhero family will look.

I have mixed emotions about seeing any more sequels. I don't think its wise to dip into the same well too many times. While I love Toy Story 2, I feel there really isn't anywhere these characters could go that would be interesting. Perhapes in a few years we might see a sequel that shows the gang of toys being introduced to Andy's child or something, but thats about the only angle I can come up with for a story.

In Monsters Inc., the story has been told. I don't think anyone's attention would be held by the continuing adventures of a Monster and a child.

I'm actually more curious to see what shorts they have coming out, and what new advances they'll make in computer animation.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Toys that come to life when they're left alone in the room is one of the biggest clich'es in animation history. Think about the next time you want to yawn at the idea of a movie about talking cars.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
As previously stated, Pixar would only attempt projects which are of the same calabour as those to have already been released. I have to agree with Nate on the point that Monster Inc. is a done deal. I also see Toy Story as a closed book.

Personally I am really glad they are doing the Cars film. I was always so entertained by the old shorts.

I've seen the finding Nemo trailor, and I didn't think it looked very interesting, but I shall see it nonetheless. I didn't think Monsters Inc. looked great when I saw its trailor, and that turned out better than expected.

-Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Crazy Harry
Toys that come to life when they're left alone in the room is one of the biggest clich'es in animation history. Think about the next time you want to yawn at the idea of a movie about talking cars.
Perfect point! And briefly made too. Wish I could do that.:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
I remember in the late 80's seeing these breathtaking little Pixar shorts on tv or at the theatre...wow. There was this one from 1989 that totally looks like Toy Story(6 years before it came out!)
Weird how it took em so long to finally come out with a feature, but man was it good!

While disney doesnt know how to make a prequel at all, Pixar surprised us all with that masterpiece Toy Story 2(that even blew away the original) The book is definately not closed on toy Story, as once you make a 2 ya gotta make a 3.

I would say Monsters Inc would be their most epic, poo your pants masterpiece film to date...that door roller coaster scene alone, wow! And Toy Story 2 had an equally jaw dropping sequence with the airport conveyor belt. A Bug's Life, while it looked much better than Antz...I liked Antz better as far as the writing and direction.

Now I will admit, from that Monsters Inc teaser, Finding Nemo was definately...not doing much for me. I mean even at the early test screening last Fall at Pixar inhouse for Finding Nemo...while it wasnt crickets and tumbleweeds, it wasnt meant with the sheer exhilaration of past efforts.

So maybe they are just fobbing em out to get out of the clutches of the black magic kingdom.

All I know is movies about cars, fish, rats, etc seems a bit...
what's the word?

Finally, I just got in the rest of the Pixar release schedule:

2007: a cgi about a lonely little lamp post, loosely based on the first Pixar short(1986)

2008: a cgi film about a pet rock

2009: a cgi film about a top hat

2010: a cgi film about a lonely cactus in the desert

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
2007: a cgi about a lonely little lap post, loosely based on the first Pixar short(1986)

2008: a cgi film about a pet rock

2009: a cgi film about a top hat

2010: a cgi film about a lonely cactus in the desert
Jeeze, all of these are going to be feature length films?

I'm really going to have to keep an open mind on these. Reason being is the nature of the selected central objects. In Toy Story, the inanimate objects (the Toys), already had fairly human-like characteristics, so movement, emotion, etc. wasn't a factor that was too hard to tackle. With Monster Inc., the characters were imaginary with human characteristics, so that wasn't an obsticle. But I mean, a pet rock? Even if you gave it features and emotions, its still a rock, and rocks do not have the means by which to move. The lamp post and top hat I can see a bit clearer, but still, a full feature film about them? The kicker to me is the cactus. I really don't see this one.

So, like I said, mind remains open for the next 7 years. :smile:

-Matt