The question of the day is, "was the question of the day recurring?"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
At the beginning of Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting, Kermit tells Bill Cosby that he is on his way to ask the question of the day, and upon hearing this, Bill Cosby says "I've always wanted to do this..."

But wait a minute... Bill Cosby always wanted to answer the question of the day? Did Sesame Street regularly have a "question of the day"? As far as I know, only two Sesame Street News segments invovled a question of the day: "What makes you angry?" (from the early 1970s) and "What's your favorite animal?" (from the late-1980s). There were also segments where Kermit, in his reporter attire, asked Julia and John-John about animal sounds, but those are never referred to as "the question of the day" (and I also don't consider those "Sesame Street News" segments). Outside of Sesame Street News there is the segment where Ernie and Cookie Monster try to figure out which one is which, which begins with an announcer saying "Today's question is, which one is Ernie, and which one is Cookie Monster?" I don't know if that would count as "The question of the day", though technically it is referred to as "Today's question".

I think Jim Henson: The Works also referred to Kermit asking the question of the day, as if it was a regular thing for him.

EDIT: After watching the sketch again (both at sesamestreet.org and a fan-uploaded copy on youtube to see if maybe the beginnign was edited), it seems I was wrogn about the "Today's question is..." line. An annoucner just asks the question, without referring to it as "today's question" or "the question of the day".